TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Back on the wagon
386 Posts
The TivoHD has 3 Aspect Correction options which I believe would accomplish what you're asking (though I don't believe you can define aspect ratios by outputs on the Tivo).

To change the aspect correction mode, press the ASPECT button on the TiVo remote. You can cycle through three modes:

• Panel mode adds letterbox bars or side bars to the picture as necessary to fill the screen, preserving the program’s original aspect ratio. This mode is useful if you are watching a program that is broadcast in 4:3 on a 16:9 TV, or vice-versa. If the program already includes letterbox bars, or side bars, these will still appear in Panel mode.
  • Full mode stretches the picture to fill the entire TV screen, which may result in some distortion. If the program already includes letterbox bars or side bars, these will still appear in Full mode.
  • Zoom mode stretches the picture without distortion. The edges of the picture are cropped to fit the TV screen. This mode is useful if you are watching a program that includes letterbox bars or side bars, because zoom mode crops the bars out of the picture.

You can also change the aspect correction mode from the Video Settings menu. Go to TiVo Central and select Messages & Settings, then Settings, then Video, and then Aspect Correction Mode.

Link to source for bullets above

I leave mine set to Full on the Tivo and then my Sony TV has aspect controls as well. I think I have my TV show HD in Full and SD in Wide Zoom.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.