TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPDATE - 7/26/07

I received my TivoHD, and called Tivo about transferring my lifetime service from my eligible S1. They said "No problem", and within five minutes they had transferred the account. I don't know if buying it from Best Buy and not Tivo direct made a difference, but they are definetly honoring the KDB 09-07-04 code now.

---------------------

There's some confusion about the ability to transfer S1 lifetime subscriptions to the new TivoHD. According to official Tivo statements in the past, any lifetime subs from Dec. 99 or earlier can be one time transferred to all future Tivo hardware.

Grandfather transfer: The one-time "Grandfather transfer" (for people who purchased Product Lifetime on or before January 21, 2000, and who have not already used their one-time transfer) is still allowed and will also be honored for future hardware releases from TiVo, such as the Series3. If you have any trouble when you call, please mention KDB code 09-07-04 to the agent.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...ad.php?t=290723
However, users attempting to do this with the new TivoHD are being told it's not possible.

I tried again today, and the rep explained that they got a communication yesterday morning, about grandfather transfers of lifetime, code 09-07-04, specifically telling them that it is not available for the new TiVoHD. Each rep I spoke with knew exactly what I was talking about, knew the code number before I had to give it to them, and said that it is NOT available for this model. If anyone has a different experience, please post.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5355772&&#post5355772
Can we get a definitive answer from a Tivo Rep? I can't believe this would be the case considering the whole thing started from a class action lawsuit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,992 Posts
I'm surprised. I would suggest that you send an email to TiVoPony: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/private.php?do=newpm&u=22926

He works for TiVo and he's the one who wrote what is quoted above, which in no uncertain terms mentions "future releases" and doesn't make any explicit exceptions (and as far as I know, the TiVo HD has the words "Series 3" on the front of it, which would specifically INCLUDE it). If that is no longer the case, he needs to update that message as to avoid confusion.

Edited to fix link. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,619 Posts
MickeS said:
So did anyone find out more about this?
You Grandfathers are in luck. Tivo changed their policy back to allowing it. New info just this morning. call them back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
gbronzer said:
UPDATE - 7/26/07

I received my TivoHD, and called Tivo about transferring my lifetime service from my eligible S1. They said "No problem", and within five minutes they had transferred the account. I don't know if buying it from Best Buy and not Tivo direct made a difference, but they are definetly honoring the KDB 09-07-04 code now.
Thanks for the update. I have updated the information regarding this on [post=5351201]the TiVo HD FAQ.[/post]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I purchased a lifetime service on a series 1 directivo (cannot remember the exact date, but it was right when the directivos were first offered). Any idea if these can be transferred? I'm thinking about moving off DirecTV to cable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
woodway said:
I purchased a lifetime service on a series 1 directivo (cannot remember the exact date, but it was right when the directivos were first offered). Any idea if these can be transferred? I'm thinking about moving off DirecTV to cable.
You need to wait for a special offer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
woodway said:
I purchased a lifetime service on a series 1 directivo (cannot remember the exact date, but it was right when the directivos were first offered). Any idea if these can be transferred? I'm thinking about moving off DirecTV to cable.
If you activated your Tivo before January 21, 2000 and did not use your one time lifetime transfer you can use it on the Tivo HD for free. I just did it yesterday no problem and my Tivo HD is now showing lifetime. Other lifetime offers have not been announced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
robmfielding said:
If you activated your Tivo before January 21, 2000 and did not use your one time lifetime transfer you can use it on the Tivo HD for free. I just did it yesterday no problem and my Tivo HD is now showing lifetime. Other lifetime offers have not been announced.
Thanks - now I gotta figure out when I activated my Directivo!
 

·
Boosted
Joined
·
27,145 Posts
woodway said:
Thanks - now I gotta figure out when I activated my Directivo!
You should call Tivo to confirm... I don't believe DirectTivos w/lifetime are eligible for lifetime transfers unless they changed the rules.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Hank said:
You should call Tivo to confirm... I don't believe DirectTivos w/lifetime are eligible for lifetime transfers unless they changed the rules.
Yeah, he is correct, I misread that you have a DirecTivo. I do not believe they are eligible. My Tivo is the original standalone Series 1. DirectTivo's lifetime subscriptions are tied to the DirecTV account and not the Tivo itself. But you can call to make sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
jrm01 said:
You Grandfathers are in luck. Tivo changed their policy back to allowing it. New info just this morning.
Wow, that's just wonderful. I just bought an S3 but will either buy another one, or one of the new Tivo HDs to replace my aged S1 Standard Def machine.

Thank you, Tivo... :up:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
dvr4me said:
Thanks for the update. I have updated the information regarding this on [post=5351201]the TiVo HD FAQ.[/post]
I had a grandfathered tivo, activation date december,27, 1999.So i bought my new hd tivo today, called up tivo and the transfered the lifetime no problem,it took like 3 minutes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
So I apologize if this is off-topic, but does anyone know if TiVo plans on widening the date range for the grandfather in years to come? My activation date was 12/29/01 for my Lifetime...definitely way off from this offer, but at what point *should* I be eligible to receive a hardware upgrade for my old Sony S1 box?

Seems to me like if that Lifetime transfer was instituted to allow older TiVo users to upgrade their hardware, then it should be a rolling date based on your activation date (5 years? Less? More?). My TiVo is dead now, upgraded to the HD but, due to many many problems, have not been able to get it running yet. Might take it back.
 

·
Boosted
Joined
·
27,145 Posts
In the early days, there was much confusion over what "lifetime" meant. So Tivo clarified their marketing materials and contracts to make it clear that "lifetime" meant lifetime of the box, and not the owner. So all people who activated lifetime before that date have a one-time lifetime transfer available to them in case they mis-understood what exactly "lifetime" meant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
Hank said:
You should call Tivo to confirm... I don't believe DirectTivos w/lifetime are eligible for lifetime transfers unless they changed the rules.
I transfered 2 Directivos w/lifetime to 2 S3s during the transfer period w/o any problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,493 Posts
I think the no-directivo comment was specifically about the grandfather clause not the s3 offer to transfer for $200. Did you grandfather transfer your DirecTivos for free?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
ah30k said:
I think the no-directivo comment was specifically about the grandfather clause not the s3 offer to transfer for $200. Did you grandfather transfer your DirecTivos for free?
No. I had to pay the $200. I guess I didn't read the post about being granfathered carefully. Unfortunately, it isn't the first time I didn't read a post carefully--DOH!
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top