TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
wait.. I did what?
14,731 Posts
The "Linksys USB200M v.2 10/100 Ethernet USB adapter" from www.Tivo.com is officially sanctioned to work.

You can find it elsewhere cheaper, it will work fine, but $29 shouldn't break the bank.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,731 Posts
jtown said:
Your reply is the suck. The poster clearly stated Tivo2 which anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together would figure means Series 2.
FWIW, the original post was edited after cipers comment, I'm not saying ciper put it the nicest way, but there is the possibility the OP had left all the model info out of the original post.

...just sayin....

·
wait.. I did what?
14,731 Posts
betts4 said:
With this - "The "Linksys USB200M v.2 10/100 Ethernet USB adapter" from www.Tivo.com is officially sanctioned to work."

Would I need to have the wireless network set up already? I am very confused. I
Betts,
The USB200M is a *wired* ethernet adapter, not wireless

If you have broadband, you really *should* have a router/firewall between the broadband modem and your house network, and you would just have a contractor install an RJ45 network cable from the modem/router to the living room and connect there.

HTH

Diane

·
wait.. I did what?
14,731 Posts
betts4 said:
Thank you for the help. It does make more sense. I didn't mention that the tivo is on one floor and the pc on another. I am going to look into some wireless stuff. :)
You would be surprised at how inexpensive and professionally done new wired network jacks can be. (that 2 floors thing wouldn't even phase most guys nowadays) It's gotten so that it's very common for the "low voltage" wiring guys to do this work and have it look fantastic.

I prefer a network jack in every room, however if I rented instead of owning, I might be leaning more towards wireless.

Diane

·
wait.. I did what?
14,731 Posts
alxbrewer said:
You mean I have to have someone come in and put in the rj45? I can't do that myself?
You can certainly feel free to do it yourself should you desire. Not everyone wants to do it themselves, some of us don't mind hiring a pro.

My current house is mediocre enough that just running RJ45 in the basement and having it pop up as needed is fine, but if we were to live in a nicer "joint" I wouldn't hesitate to have a professional wire it for me.

Diane

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.