TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I am Spartacus!
28,560 Posts
Hi,
I have a S2 (i am pretty sure) and have just gotten rid of my landline. Same as the OP.

I don't have wireless linksys thing for the computer, but do have broadband, for what its worth. My tivo is downstairs, my pc is upstairs.

I am also pretty technically stupid and am not ashamed to admit it. However I am willing to try things and learn things.

So here is the stupid part -

With this - "The "Linksys USB200M v.2 10/100 Ethernet USB adapter" from www.Tivo.com is officially sanctioned to work."

Would I need to have the wireless network set up already? I am very confused. I

Should I call the phone company and see about reinstating the line just for tivo.

·
I am Spartacus!
28,560 Posts
dianebrat said:
Betts,
The USB200M is a *wired* ethernet adapter, not wireless

If you have broadband, you really *should* have a router/firewall between the broadband modem and your house network, and you would just have a contractor install an RJ45 network cable from the modem/router to the living room and connect there.
Diane, that was very nice, but I don't really know what that means.

You mean I have to have someone come in and put in the rj45? I can't do that myself?

Ugh!!! I feel so stupid. Is this in the instruction book anywhere? Can I even find the instruction book?

·
I am Spartacus!
28,560 Posts
Thanks for the help, this is kind of exciting!

However, I got a message this morning on the Tivo screen -because of a missing landline, I can get no more programmed shows, recordings or such. I understand that it is not getting the 'signal' I can't use programming to set up for recordings or for SP, but does that mean I can't be watching live tv and record? It won't show me anything after monday at 7pm.

And the stuff to make me and tivo wireless is coming, I should have it monday or tuesday. I had to order it thru Amazon because I don't drive. This will also mean I can finally use the laptop at home.

But can I record monday night just by hitting record?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.