TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,434 Posts
crowfan said:
My brother has one. I've seen it in action.

The pluses are that is can record and playback HD, it has 2 tuners, and it doesn't need the IR blaster.

The drawbacks are many. The software is just ugly. It has no keyword search, no WishLists. It has season passes....sorta. You have to search for the show in the guide data (the grid) and record the show, and then you have the option to record the season. It only has like a week of guide data (I'm not sure exactly how much but I remember being kinda surprised at how little it was). It does not have adjustable recording levels, and the hard drive space is small. I am pretty sure that the "season pass" just records by channel/day/time and will not follow the show if it moves. It has none of the other TiVo features, such as networking, Home Media features (music and photos, online games, TiVoToGo, ability to schedule shows online, etc.).

It's OK, but it falls far short of TiVo in the features.
Your post is accurate. I have the SA HD DVR. IMO, it has the three very important features that TiVo currently doesn't offer on stand alone boxes - two tuners, HD and direct control....minus the awesome TiVo UI.

· Registered
1,434 Posts
TiVoPhish said:
Not sure of where you live, but I use Cablevision and they absolutely do (or did) have a TiVo deal... you just have to push them for it. And be aware, it's not an HD Cablecard Tivo.

I confirmed this with TiVo today as well because cablevision is coming here to install and switch me away from Dish Network... I'll be going to their HD DVR for my HD setup and moving my TiVo to one of our non-HD televisions for now. I don't expect the SA8300 to perform as well, but it's time to make the jump to HD. My fingers are crossed that TiVo's CC HD box will be available very soon and I may, just MAY be able to still use my coupon towards it (from this promo).

The promo ended December 31st... so I'm not sure you could still push the issue... but to let you know I had to REALLY push it with Cablevision for nearly 25 minutes before they agreed to give me the free TiVo coupon.

Good luck!
I am also using the Cablevision (Scientific Atlanta) HD DVR. Dual tuners and the the ability to record two HD shows almost neutralizes the advantage TiVo has in software. Always make sure that you double check your scheduled recordings because the software on the HD box is not as reliable or intuitive as TiVo's.

· Registered
1,434 Posts
gtrogue said:
My sister has the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000. Is that the same box you have?
The SA 8000 is the hugest piece of crap I have ever had the misfortune of using. It's even worse than the Moto 6412 that Comcrap uses.
I have an 8300. and for the record, it's an HD dual tuner "big piece of crap".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.