TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I recently bought a TiVo from Ebay and i am having trouble setting it up. At first it runs fine during the startup but when it gets to the tivo animation my TV goes black.

The TV is turned off and on after every 5 seconds or so. I cant get it to work, sometimes it goes a bit further to Tivo central but then the same thing happens and the screen goes black.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Tivo Evangelist
258 Posts
The upgrade is free.

After a few days of letting CS in UK know, the servers in the US will be updated so they know you want to download the new software.

The next time your Tivo dials out for the TV listings after this, it will download the software automatically.

·
Lurker
119 Posts
Is your TiVo unmodified? If it has been upgraded with a large (>137Gb) disk, then the 2.5.5a upgrade may not go smoothly. Large drives require a modified kernel and the 2.5.5a upgrade will overwrite this with the original kernel. This will cuase disk access problems.

There are ways around this potential problem if required.g

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its 160gb so its not unmodified. i am not even sure if it is calling Tivo because the TV turns off. Is there anywhere i can pay to get this fixed? I have no experince with Linux systems.
Thanks

·
Ex TiVo User
2,837 Posts
I would get your Tivo working with another TV.
It may be worth just to be sure it is running only 2.5.5
Press Tivo key,Messages & Setup,System Information and software version.

What you need is 2.5.5a-01-1-023

Also check Tivo Account Status which should be 5: Lifetime Service

Request from Tivo the 2.5.5a upgrade which should download in a couple of days.

The download alas will kill your Tivo due to modified harddrive size but will then be ready for a new or fixed drive.

Options
1. Order new drive with 2.5.5a loaded
2. Pay someone to correct drive filesystem
3. Fix yourself

Sources of solution (to name a few)
http://www.tivoheaven.co.uk/
http://www.tivoland.com/

Automan.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I believe it is possible to modify the current kernel so you the 'fixed' files from the 'a' release are included. That way you don't have to deal with customer services, wait or lose recordings (not that that would be an issue on a "new to you Tivo").
I'm sure a bit of searching will turn up the thread or possibly someone more au fait will be along in a minute.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.