TiVo Community Forum banner

Which MAC OS X SW do you prefer for TiVo?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Roamio PRO, Roamio,
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I set this thread up because the PC kingdom did not want any MAC related questions on their PC WINDOWS ONLY SW Thread.

I am looking for comments and suggestions on MAC OS X 10.10 SW.

I have 3 candidates so far:
1. TiVo DeskTop for MAC by TiVo last updated in 2009. Not able to be installed.
2. pyTiVo for MAC by Python. Not able to get it on my Mac OSX 10.10.
3. cTiVo for MAC. This is the first SW that loaded and started to run.
but since I am away from home and out of the country, I can not complete my test of the new Beta SW which needs to be run on my home network when I get back. Is this all I need on my Mac?
4. Looking for other TiVo MAC OS X 10.10 SW candidates.

·
Roamio PRO, Roamio,
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sydnius
thanks
KMTTG SEEMS TO REQUIRE PYTIVO AND TIVO TO GO.
SINCE I CAN NOT EVEN GET PYTIVO TO LOAD ON MY OS X 10.10.
I AM NOT SURE IF I CAN USE IT.
BUT WILL CHECK IT OUT.
MY CURRENT LEADING CANDIDATE IS CTIVO.

·
Roamio PRO, Roamio,
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I downloaded kmttg and executed it and got a bunch of small UNIX routines.
I assume there is some other program to execute them?

·
Roamio PRO, Roamio,
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there are four votes one for each option

·
tivo_xml developer
2,538 Posts
pyTivo and kmttg and cTiVo all work perfectly fine for me on my 2013 MacBook Air running 10.10.2. <- I've just linked to the install directions for ctivo, and the OSX-specific install directions for pyTiVo and kmttg. If you choose to attempt to follow the install directions, and have any trouble with any of them, please post in the TiVo Home Media Features forum with as much detail about the issues encountered as possible and someone will try to help.

·
Roamio PRO, Roamio,
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have downloaded and installed Python 3.4.3.

·
Roamio PRO, Roamio,
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I trashed the Python I downloaded and expanded.

How can I find the version of pyTiVo that will run on my Mac OS X 10.10.3?

will pytiVo allow me to run videos on my Mac?

will pyTiVo allow to copy TiVo videos on to my Mac so I can replace the hard drive in a WeaKnees storage upgrade?

You already had the correct Python on your Mac. You did not need to download anything, nor will 3.x work.

·
Roamio PRO, Roamio,
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am trying to find a version of pyTiVo that twill back up my hard drive before i get it expanded.
and allow me to play TiVo videos on my iMac OS X 10.10.3 desktop or MBP OS X 10.10.3 laptop.
then to restore the videos to my newly upgraded desktop.

I assume the 100 or so one passes can just be copies to my other TiVo roamio basic. it can hold some of the videos but to all.

there are too many optional pity's:
which one will work best on a MAC OS X 10.10

Cheetah Remove portions of Cheetah that pyTivo doesn't use. 3 years ago
content Better alignment. 2 years ago
mutagen Update to the latest (last?) version of mutagen. 3 years ago
plugins Fix for workaround -- pushing was broken in auto mode. D'oh! Reported by a month ago
templates Avoid duplicate share names with old-style announcements (though only if 2 years ago
xmpp We need the xmpp module to make the webvideo plugin work. 7 years ago
README Require Python 2.5; revert some 2.4 compatibility patches. 2 years ago
beacon.py Version 0.14 of zeroconf.py -- see the pyzeroconf project for details. 11 months ago
config.py More _tivo_ sections without addresses. 11 months ago
httpserver.py Allow filling in the names and addresses of TiVos found via Zeroconf 11 months ago
lrucache.py A BSD-licensed version of lrucache.py. (The copyright notice is the only 6 years ago
metadata.py Ratings from .nfo files should no longer be converted to strings. 9 months ago
mind.py Use cp1252 instead of iso8859-1 for Windows 8-bit characters. 11 months ago
plugin.py Workaround for the TiVo losing track of the grouped/ungrouped flag for 2 months ago
pyTivo.conf.dist Same for pyTivo.conf.dist. 2 years ago
pyTivo.py Restore pre-Python-2.7.9 behavior. Neither individual TiVos' nor 4 months ago
pyTivoConfigurator.pyw auto_subshares is no longer needed, either. 6 years ago
pyTivoService.py Allow restart/quit to work from the Windows service. Not yet tested. 3 years ago
turing.py More Turing tweaks. 2 years ago
zeroconf.py Version 0.14 of zeroconf.py -- see the pyzeroconf project for details. 11 months ago

I looked at few and they just looked like line of code and comments.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,422 Posts
I'm pretty sure every version of pyTivo that has ever existed (minus, I suppose, the infamous Windows Installer packages) will run on OS X 10.10. The best is, of course, the latest. You're not going to get a simple .app (unless you go for pyTivoX, but it's outdated now). But you can get a simple .zip or .tgz.

I don't know why you're listing what looks like the contents of the GitHub front page, or what "optional pity's" is supposed to mean. But there's a big honking "Download ZIP" button to the right of all that. Press THAT.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I run cTiVo on my iMac and MBP to download from my Premiers and Roamio OTA. It works just fine, although any downloads in progress will stop and reset if the computer is allowed to sleep. I then use HandBrake to further process the file.

·
Roamio PRO, Roamio,
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have not yet found a good site to download cTiVo and get it to work on my Mac OS X 10.10.3

·
Roamio PRO, Roamio,
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
today was the first time (in 3 attempts) I got an executable of CTIVO that will work.
it was able to show 1451 shows mostly from one TiVo Roamio Pro.
i am downloading two in MPEG2 HD format.

WHAT IS THE BEST FORMAT TO PLAY ON MY MAC BOOK PRO OS X 10.10.3?
WHAT OTHE RSW DO I NEED TO WATCH SHOWS ON MY MBP OS X?
IS IT QUICKTIME?
OR SOMETHING ELSE?

I TREID DOWNLOADING TWO SHOWS FROM MY ROAMIO BASIC WITH STREAM.
BOTH FAILED MULTIPLE TIMES.

Next I will try downloading shows from my Roamio Pro

·
Roamio PRO, Roamio,
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I downloaded a show from my Roamio Pro and it also failed.

Now I an testing downloading a show actually recorded on my Roamio Pro and downloading with Youtube format.

·
tivo_xml developer
2,538 Posts
today was the first time (in 3 attempts) I got an executable of CTIVO that will work.
it was able to show 1451 shows mostly from one TiVo Roamio Pro.
i am downloading two in MPEG2 HD format.

WHAT IS THE BEST FORMAT TO PLAY ON MY MAC BOOK PRO OS X 10.10.3?
WHAT OTHE RSW DO I NEED TO WATCH SHOWS ON MY MBP OS X?
IS IT QUICKTIME?
OR SOMETHING ELSE?

I TREID DOWNLOADING TWO SHOWS FROM MY ROAMIO BASIC WITH STREAM.
BOTH FAILED MULTIPLE TIMES.

Next I will try downloading shows from my Roamio Pro
Define 'failed'. Did you receive an error message, and if so what did the error state? You can use VLC (among other free and non-free software packages) to playback MPEG2 files on a Mac. If you use cTivo to convert a .tivo file to another format, you must choose a format for which you have a compatible player. If quality and filesize are your first concerns, h.264 is a very good format(although it is time consuming to encode into). If you plan on transferring the files back to the Tivo at a later date, MPEG2 will retain full quality and transfers will be relatively quick and easy, at the cost of storage (MPEG2 is an older and less-efficient format, but it is what most cable companies and OTA broadcasters still use today).

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.