TiVo Community Forum banner
81 - 100 of 111 Posts

· Cheesehead
11,788 Posts
That is not an accurate statement, never has been, Suggestions never have taken away any space used for recording or storing existing shows, the Suggestions never were counted as used disk space by the OS.
This is a surprisingly common statement that is 100% incorrect.
Suggestions take space that could be used by Recently Deleted recordings. e.g. If I watch a recording and then delete it today, odds are it will be wiped out from Recently Deleted by a Suggestion by tomorrow. This means I can't recover programs. It's as if everything I delete is almost instantly permantly deleted. I sort of wish I could allocate spare disk space 50/50 between Recently Deleted and Suggestions.
There's so many miniscule yet ongoing improvements they could have made, had they not given up a few years ago. There was a time each annual (or semi-annual) update was loaded with goodies.
Yeah, my split disk space allocation couldv'e been one of these. :) Thing is, it seems like every release would introduce more bugs, then fix some, and then re-introduce them. (specifically thinking about playing music hosted on my PC, published with TiVo Desktop/pyTiVo)

· wait.. I did what?
15,535 Posts
Though once TiVo finally added a 'recently deleted' folder you did have to keep in mind that suggestions would displace those deleted shows.
Suggestions take space that could be used by Recently Deleted recordings. e.g. If I watch a recording and then delete it today, odds are it will be wiped out from Recently Deleted by a Suggestion by tomorrow. This means I can't recover programs. It's as if everything I delete is almost instantly permantly deleted. I sort of wish I could allocate spare disk space 50/50 between Recently Deleted and Suggestions.
Those scenarios have nothing to do with taking up space for actual recordings or future recordings, and that is the point I'm making.

The interplay between Suggestions and Recently Deleted is a completely different topic, if the post I was replying to had said " I don't use suggestions because it limits my use of Recently Deleted items" I'd have replied differently.

Reactions: cwerdna

· Registered
1 Posts
I got the message on my Roamio OTA with TE3. I use thumbs up and thumbs down to "hint" to suggestions. The "3 thumbs down" for infomercials and kids shows and sports shows we don't ever follow/watch (no kids at home anymore) keeps almost all of those kinds of shows off the "auto-record just in case" (is that what 'suggestions' really is?) category and makes the extra shows recorded in the background far, far more likely to be of interest.

It isn't about what we like, it's also about what we don't like that makes it useful. At least for us. That said, we review and record what we want to watch regularly with all the weird premeire dates for new shows, old shows,mid-season replacements, and weird episode counts for a "season" in these last few years after hiatus and indefinite "on hold,aybe not cancelled" statuses work themselves out.

· Registered
35 Posts
Using Roamio OTA, running TE3. I actually do use the 'suggesions' and have always found it a useful feature. I do peruse it and find things I didn't one pass, but I am interested in watching.
It does seem to be tuned to my tastes --- whether through my current one passes, or my thumbs up, I don't know. But it works, and I am glad I can still use it with my TIVOs.

· Registered
3 Posts
I turned off suggestions long ago (although it did capture some good stuff for me), butt I find the thumb very helpful in remembering which movies I've already seen, since, when you choose to record something, it automatically gives it one thumbs up (at least on a S2 TiVo). So, if, when I'm looking at the guide for things to watch or record, I can't remember from the description whether I've seen something already, if it has a thumb up, then I know that I did!

· Registered
23 Posts
They discontinued thumbs up ans thumbs down some time ago so there seems to be no way to steer suggestions. My TiVo now records each and every baseball, basketball, football and golf game even though I never watch sports. I complained to TiVo and they blew me off. So I'm not really losing much with suggestions going away
I had the exact same experience, but it was with kid shows. When I complained they said to "watch some shows and TiVo will learn what you like". However, I don't watch shows much on the box anymore. I now use KTTMG to archive the shows I want on to a Plex server, so I never watch show and TiVo takes a VERY LONG TIME to decide to record something else. You would think it might learn from what I record as I do record what I like but sadly recording accounts for less than 10% of the algorithm for picking shows to suggest.

· Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know how to use tivo+? They say I should have 10,000 choices, but I get about 10. For example - for the "news" category, I get newsy and newsmax. On demand has only movies (and far from 10,000.

I have searched for instructions on how to use tivo+, and what SHOULD be available (I also didn't see a search - wth???), but when you google it, it drops the + and just gives tivo results. "Tivo Plus" renders no results either.

Not for nothing, but if you are going to offer something, tell people how to use it.

All my TVs use tivos, but that may be changing soon. If my Roamio goes down (it is doing some wierd volume thing), my tivo days will be done...

· Registered
24 Posts
That is not an accurate statement, never has been, Suggestions never have taken away any space used for recording or storing existing shows, the Suggestions never were counted as used disk space by the OS.
This is a surprisingly common statement that is 100% incorrect.
Yes, the idea was twofold:

1) Was done when Tivo was otherwise idle
2) Giving someone a more useful "free space" pool than just random blocks

Since it wasn't competing for resources or actually taking up space, it was considered a win/win. However, whether or not that actually lengthened or shortened disk life is debatable and depended on the disk technology. I always chuckled when folks tried to delete them - wasted energy that some just liked to do.

· Proud Tivolutionary
17,330 Posts
I checked earlier tonight and haven't gotten that updated message. I still just have the original one from 1/18. And, yes, I'm still on TE3 on my Bolt+.

I've seen a screenshot of the message you mention on a TiVo-related FB group.
The 1/18 message is now gone from my TE3 Bolt+ and I never received the second one about it not applying to TE3. Gotta love how they referred to TiVo+ that doesn't exist for me.

· Registered
23 Posts
Does anyone know how to use tivo+? They say I should have 10,000 choices, but I get about 10. For example - for the "news" category, I get newsy and newsmax. On demand has only movies (and far from 10,000.

I have searched for instructions on how to use tivo+, and what SHOULD be available (I also didn't see a search - wth???), but when you google it, it drops the + and just gives tivo results. "Tivo Plus" renders no results either.

Not for nothing, but if you are going to offer something, tell people how to use it.

All my TVs use tivos, but that may be changing soon. If my Roamio goes down (it is doing some wierd volume thing), my tivo days will be done...
HA!
I don't have a single choice.
In fact, I don't even have the TiVo+ app.

It is nowhere to be found on any of my TiVos. Just the usual suspects like Netflix, Prime, and Hulu.

I have no idea why it's missing but I'm not very inclined to call and find out.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts