TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 80 of 111 Posts

· Too Big to Fail
938 Posts
It's been a long time since I've been around here, but I've been with Tivo since almost the beginning. I think 2000. I currently have a Roamio Pro and got the message about losing suggestions. I'm still using the old interface and never switched to the new experience. We actually do use suggestions at times and have found a few good programs from them.

Exactly what is TE3 and TE4?

Is it time for me to upgrade to a newer model? Frankly, I'm less interested in having all those internet services on my screen than being able to search, find, and record via a list of available options. I hate the netflix and prime video boxes for searches.

If I do go for a new model, which would be suggested that is comparible?
TE3 is the "old interface", and TE4 is the new(er) interface.

If you're running the old interface, and are happy with it (and you like suggestions). your Roamio Pro is probably the perfect Tivo for you. The newest Tivos don't even support TE3, so you would be going backwards by upgrading to a newer model.

· Registered
553 Posts
One of the first things I turned off when I got started with TiVo was suggestions. I liked the idea but it was, to me, more trouble than it was worth. In my household, at that point, I had a couple of youngsters and a wife that were watching things that I really didn't have all that much interest in. Some shared things in common with the wife, but things like "Barney" were not high on my can't miss list, not to mention the programs that were 'like' Barney. In just a few days with Suggestions left on I had a ton of recordings for things that were never going to be watched or at least stood very little chance of being watched.

I did appreciate the idea of suggestions and loved the Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down rating options that would help to teach TiVo the things that I did like and wanted to see. Seeing suggestions in a list was fine for me and every now and then I might see something there that I really had some interest in. I just didn't want the machine to be automatically recording it for me and consuming space that would likely be more useful (to me) for other shows that I really did want to have on hand.

I have missed the old Thumbs Up and Down usage on the Bolts and Edge units but mostly I just wanted the machines to record what I told them when I told them to do so.
Tivo suggestions never took space that you used for intentional recordings. The more intentional recordings you had the less space Tivo used for suggestions. So you had nothing to worry about in that regard.

· Registered
14 Posts
Mods, if there is a post like this that exists somewhere that I've overlooked, please delete this thread.

Just noticed a message on my Roamio that "TiVo Suggestions will no longer be supported." "Soon you won't see new Suggestions recordings."

Also, they say, "The TiVo Experience brings you great ways to discover new shows, and now we're consolidating our discovery features into our TiVo+ app."

Isn't TiVo+ only available on TE4 (Hydra) and not TE3 (Encore)? For those of us who stuck to TE3 because of the interface (the never-Hydra group), it feels like we're losing something without a replacement. Although, I admit, I haven't tried Suggestions after all these years.
I think this is just another indication that TIVO is letting the DVR hardware business slowly die. Clearly they are focusing on apps and software sales to Comcast, not their hardware business. Their path is simply a way to push people to abandon their TIVOs. (IMHO).

· Cheesehead
11,788 Posts
My hard drive is happy and healthy since it does not have to record all the time with the suggestions turned off.
Rested and ready for my One Pass recordings!
) You are just being facetious, right? Right? Hard to tell online, sometimes.
I checked earlier tonight and haven't gotten that updated message. I still just have the original one from 1/18. And, yes, I'm still on TE3 on my Bolt+.
I got both messages, including the 2nd which says it doesn't apply to TE3, on my TE3 Bolt an Roamio. Not sure why you haven't.

· Registered
17,673 Posts
I suppose that would be the case if it's always recording only one channel. If suggestions cause it to record more than one channel when it otherwise wouldn't then what I said would be true.... otherwise nevermind. I take it back. :)
TiVo tries reasonable hard to avoid leaving multiple tuners on the same channel. So it's extremely likely that each tuner is already on a different channel and thus is doing its own live TV buffering.

If you're on live TV and and change to a channel a tuner is already on it'll just switch you to that tuner instead of putting two tuners on the same channel. Generally the only way to end up with tuners on the same channels is:
a) reboot the TiVo (it starts up with all of them on a single channel; or at least it did last time I paid attention)
b) schedule overlapping recordings (it isn't, or at least wasn't, able to assign the output of one tuner to two different recordings. So, if there was an overlap, say due to padding the start of end, it'd have to assign 1 tuner per overlapping recording)

(Though IIRC putting the TiVo in Standby mode turns off buffering; which should save some power. But I don't remember whether or not suggestions still occur in Standby)

· Registered
462 Posts
Was never a fan of tivo suggestions anyway and always since 2013 chose to select,don't record tivo suggestions. As it took up too much space.

As for the tivo messaget that they sent out initially they put another message clarifying that's for te4.

As for the tivo + app i tried it before reverting my tivo's back to te3 and was not impressed but maybe tivo could add it as an app for the te3 experience.

As for te4 the deal breaker for me was the removal of the transfer a recording directly feature and requiring the use of tivo online to transfer a recording which never worked correctly. And the impossibility to transfer a recording back to a device directly running te4 even with kttmg or pytivo.

In addition to all the other issues that developed later on with updates and the tivo roll ads.

Which almost ruined my bolts and romio.

Hope that helps and clarifies things.

· wait.. I did what?
15,535 Posts
Was never a fan of tivo suggestions anyway and always since 2013 chose to select,don't record tivo suggestions. As it took up too much space.
That is not an accurate statement, never has been, Suggestions never have taken away any space used for recording or storing existing shows, the Suggestions never were counted as used disk space by the OS.
This is a surprisingly common statement that is 100% incorrect.

· Registered
17,673 Posts
That is not an accurate statement, never has been, Suggestions never have taken away any space used for recording or storing existing shows, the Suggestions never were counted as used disk space by the OS.
This is a surprisingly common statement that is 100% incorrect.
Though once TiVo finally added a 'recently deleted' folder you did have to keep in mind that suggestions would displace those deleted shows.

If you were worried about someone in your household deleting a show before you'd gotten a chance to watch it you might be leery of letting the TiVo use its disk for suggestions rather than a larger backlog of recoverable deleted shows. (If you fat fingered and deleted it, you'd have time to immediately recover it. But if you didn't realized for a few days that it had been deleted then suggestions might have already overwritten it)

· TDL shepherd
17,753 Posts
Though once TiVo finally added a 'recently deleted' folder you did have to keep in mind that suggestions would displace those deleted shows.
Great insight. The ‘Recently Deleted’ listing can be a hassle.

It also annoyed me that TiVo never added the ability to access previously deleted episodes directly from a show’s listing, a means to access a filtered list of ‘Recently Deleted’ items only displaying deleted episodes for the associated show.

· Registered
288 Posts
TE3 is the "old interface", and TE4 is the new(er) interface.

If you're running the old interface, and are happy with it (and you like suggestions). your Roamio Pro is probably the perfect Tivo for you. The newest Tivos don't even support TE3, so you would be going backwards by upgrading to a newer model.
Thank you. I guess when/if it dies I'll worry about it. I think the Roamio is our 3rd or 4th unit and none of them have died, we simply replaced them after a while.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,443 Posts
It also annoyed me that TiVo never added the ability to access previously deleted episodes directly from a show’s listing, a means to access a filtered list of ‘Recently Deleted’ items only displaying deleted episodes for the associated show.
There's so many miniscule yet ongoing improvements they could have made, had they not given up a few years ago. There was a time each annual (or semi-annual) update was loaded with goodies.

Then... it stopped.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts