TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 111 Posts

· Proud Tivolutionary
17,330 Posts
I was always under the impression my Bolt did not do thumbs up or down. (not sure how long I've had the bolt, more than 3 years but less than 10) getting old sucks.
Mine does, I have a Bolt+ but I'm still on TE3. I definitely have shows/movies that I've given thumb ratings too. Earlier today, I checked Modern Marvels for which I have some recorded eps and a bunch of suggestions. It still had 3 thumbs up.

· wait.. I did what?
15,535 Posts
Mine does, I have a Bolt+ but I'm still on TE3. I definitely have shows/movies that I've given thumb ratings too. Earlier today, I checked Modern Marvels for which I have some recorded eps and a bunch of suggestions. It still had 3 thumbs up.
Yeah, those saying Thumbs up and down don't work are all TE4 users, it has not changed at this point for TE3 users.

· Registered
2 Posts
They discontinued thumbs up ans thumbs down some time ago so there seems to be no way to steer suggestions. My TiVo now records each and every baseball, basketball, football and golf game even though I never watch sports. I complained to TiVo and they blew me off. So I'm not really losing much with suggestions going away

· Registered
30 Posts
I've been using TiVos since 2001. I've never once used Suggestions. Nevertheless, I understand that it might be useful for some users, and it's generally bad for users when a product maker removes existing functionality.

· Registered
3 Posts
In the early years (TiVo came with DirecTV), via a hardwired phone line, the tivo box would phone home overnight and reload Suggestions BASED ON THE TOPICS you had watched. It was QUITE useful for us, discovering programs/series we did not know existed.
But alas, the past decade(?) it's become all but useless: NEVER any relevant-topic/category programming, and mostly paid-promotion ads & religious programs. Long ago, I called to complain about that (how to turn it off), and she said "we have to make money from these promotions to keep your subscription rates low"
We like the textual/list display and not the Experience thumbs where it's hard to discern the title of the program.

· Registered
3 Posts
The push on my bolt this morning added a note saying TE3 is not impacted. I'm glad as I had such a sinking feeling that the end was nearer than I expected. It's been a long slow decline, but the TE3 interface is still the best for me and the features beat the service providers' offerings, so glad I can hang on a little longer.

· Registered
3 Posts
Well, I run my Tivos pretty full. Free Disk Space says 2 HD or 20 SD, and in My Shows which is easier to check since it’s where I always am, I have 15 suggestions and 15 deleted shows, 99% full.
A few years ago it seems they re allocated disk space for Suggestions to allow for more Suggestion pgm disk space when "100%" was reached for the intentional recordings... we assumed this was during the same period they started accepting paid fees from advertisers (and religious broadcasts) to include their program in suggestions (usually overnight airings). [tivo rep: "we have to have paid Suggestions in order to keep your subscription fees low"]

I've observed that there's quite a round-off range for what "100%" truly means. There's usually room (before needing to delete something) for several SD recordings even tho it indicates a conservative "100%" and there's of course room for more (paid) Suggestions unless the 100% is internally bulging at 101%

· wait.. I did what?
15,535 Posts
I've been using TiVos since 2001. I've never once used Suggestions. Nevertheless, I understand that it might be useful for some users, and it's generally bad for users when a product maker removes existing functionality.
As a NASCAR viewer, I was able to train suggestions on multiple Tivos over the years to only record stock car related racing vs recording EVERY single motor sport, I viewed that as perfect use case for the suggestion engine.

Reactions: LI-SVT

· Registered
42 Posts
Suggestions is a piece of history. It was a marketing tool of the TiVo from the aughts. “You’ll always have something to watch with TiVo!”

That’s no longer a problem that needs serving. Who in 2023 says “gee? I wish I had more tv to watch.”

I’m surprised it’s lasted this long.
Yes... I don't see the purpose anymore with so much to watch on streaming.

Haven't used suggestions in 23 years on Tivo, so I'm not going to miss them. Sorry for the folks that did use them and are now losing this feature.
Exactly. I won't miss it at all.

Yeah, same here...part of my setup routine for any new TiVo I've ever gotten is to turn off Suggestions.

(It's been a while since I've had to set up a new TiVo...I got my current one shortly after the Roamio went on sale, so that would be the Fall of 2013. That's by far the longest I've ever had a TiVo! Which I guess is both a tribute to how good the Roamio is, and a sad commentary on how little they've progressed since then, since I've never been tempted to upgrade.)
I still have and love my Roamio. I will be very sad when it dies... and I also turn off suggestions.

I don't think I've ever used it either. I always thought it was a waste of space and resources. Why use the extra electricity and put the extra wear and tear on the HD for something I am not interested in? I don't need more TV to watch.

Reactions: HTRon

· Registered
15 Posts
Mods, if there is a post like this that exists somewhere that I've overlooked, please delete this thread.

Just noticed a message on my Roamio that "TiVo Suggestions will no longer be supported." "Soon you won't see new Suggestions recordings."

Also, they say, "The TiVo Experience brings you great ways to discover new shows, and now we're consolidating our discovery features into our TiVo+ app."

Isn't TiVo+ only available on TE4 (Hydra) and not TE3 (Encore)? For those of us who stuck to TE3 because of the interface (the never-Hydra group), it feels like we're losing something without a replacement. Although, I admit, I haven't tried Suggestions after all these years.

All of this might lead me a conclude that TiVo needs to jack up the current crew of programmers run into those positions some newer (or older) and better programmers. 🤔🤔🤔

· Registered
14 Posts
I'm really disappointed by this. TiVo automatically recording things it figured I'd like based on my thumbs-up and thumbs-down ratings and dropping them conveniently in the Suggestions area has been the main reason I've given TiVo my money over the years (and stayed with TE3). With this feature gone, there seems to me to be no big reason for me to keep using TiVo rather than some other service that offers built-in DVR functionality. Sigh.
I find this amazing. Nothing against you or your opinion, it's just that I think it's fascinating how different two fans of Tivo could view its features. I've been using Tivo since day one for multiple hours every day, and in those 20+ years I've never once found a Suggestion useful. For many years I dutifully set the Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down appropriately, ever hopeful. But, again, it never once paid off for me. The fact that this one feature that's worthless to me is the one you value most is just mind-boggling.

· Registered
14 Posts
I don't think I've ever used it either. I always thought it was a waste of space and resources. Why use the extra electricity and put the extra wear and tear on the HD for something I am not interested in? I don't need more TV to watch.
Why would you think it uses extra electricity or causes more wear and tear? It's always recording, whether it's just blindly recording whatever the last channel that was watched or a channel it chose for a Suggestion. The only difference is one of those recordings is theoretically more apt to be desirable to you. But there's no difference in power usage or wear.

· Registered
42 Posts
Why would you think it uses extra electricity or causes more wear and tear? It's always recording, whether it's just blindly recording whatever the last channel that was watched or a channel it chose for a Suggestion. The only difference is one of those recordings is theoretically more apt to be desirable to you. But there's no difference in power usage or wear.
I suppose that would be the case if it's always recording only one channel. If suggestions cause it to record more than one channel when it otherwise wouldn't then what I said would be true.... otherwise nevermind. I take it back. :)

· Registered
288 Posts
It's been a long time since I've been around here, but I've been with Tivo since almost the beginning. I think 2000. I currently have a Roamio Pro and got the message about losing suggestions. I'm still using the old interface and never switched to the new experience. We actually do use suggestions at times and have found a few good programs from them.

Exactly what is TE3 and TE4?

Is it time for me to upgrade to a newer model? Frankly, I'm less interested in having all those internet services on my screen than being able to search, find, and record via a list of available options. I hate the netflix and prime video boxes for searches.

If I do go for a new model, which would be suggested that is comparible?

· Registered
2 Posts
With no suggestions engine - Thumbs-Up and Thumbs-Down becomes more than a little bit pointless. So, probably, yes.
While I stopped using suggestions a long time ago due to getting bizarre shows, I use the thumbs up / down to indicate that I have recorded something in the past (not new) and whether I liked it. With so many shows having the same or similar names, it can become hard to keep track otherwise...

· Registered
1,937 Posts
It's been a long time since I've been around here, but I've been with Tivo since almost the beginning. I think 2000. I currently have a Roamio Pro and got the message about losing suggestions. I'm still using the old interface and never switched to the new experience. We actually do use suggestions at times and have found a few good programs from them.

Exactly what is TE3 and TE4?

Is it time for me to upgrade to a newer model? Frankly, I'm less interested in having all those internet services on my screen than being able to search, find, and record via a list of available options. I hate the netflix and prime video boxes for searches.

If I do go for a new model, which would be suggested that is comparible?
It's the software.

TE = Tivo Experience

3 = Old
Font Screenshot Software Multimedia Games

4 = Latest (only runs on Roamio and newer hardware)
Font Multimedia Electronic device Display device Gadget

· Registered
23 Posts
Already discontinued on TE4, is it not?
Yes. Thumbs is not a thing on TiVo.

Hasn't been for a few years.

TiVo has been abandoning key features and value adds for years so I'm not surprised.

Thumbs is now nothing more than a glorified enter/ok key.

I doubt I will miss Suggestions as since the ending of Thumbs the choices that TiVo makes are HORRIBLE and STUPID. For the first 2 months of Bolt ownership TiVo assumed I was a pedophile and exclusively recorded children's shows because I had recorded The Simpsons and Archer. It has gotten better since then but 75% of what it suggests is of no interest to me. Maybe one movie a month is worth my time.

I wish I had my ReplayTV again. It was a way better platform.

41 - 60 of 111 Posts