TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
mick66 said:
The point that you missed is that PMing TivoBill for current inside information/help is rather useless. And the fact that there are other Tivo folks that post here is also of no help what so ever.
I agree. If you are going to PM anyone, I would think that person should be TiVoJerry now.

·
Wake-Maker!
1,541 Posts
Great, I just Fedex'd my NEW unit for replacement yesterday! I got one of those free 140hr units with 1 year of service they ran about 6 months ago. Well Monday I just got it out of the box and tried to use it. The unit was stuck on powering up. (must be a HDD issue)
The lady I spoke to said that They should mail me out a new one within a week once they get the other one. She did say they were having "distribution issues"

So basically it will take 6+ months before I get a replacement?

·
kcman
11 Posts
Just ran across this thread. I had posted my experience on another thread dealing with the same problem. Here's my story:

I sent my TIVO unit in for an exchange last month, they received it September 22. To date I have not received a replacement. I have made a number of calls, received plenty of company rhetoric about how it will take "10 days", "2 additional days if submitted between September 20-22" and finally "it shouldn't take more than 14 days, tops". None of these statements have been worth their salt. I have "climbed" the ladder and spoken to two supervisors neither of whom were much help (they wouldn't allow me to go higher even though I persisted). I have presented them with alternatives (allowing me to purchase a replacement and giving me full credit) but they didn't "fly". They did provide me with concessions on my future monthly bills but still no shipment information. They can't even make a phone call to Louisville because it's not policy and there are too many of us in the same boat. I work for a corporation and have always been taught that if there are internal problems they should be transparent to the customer. Not so with TIVO.

Looks like we're in trouble. Anyone have any ideas on how we can collectively do something or are we all "stuck". I'm considering buying another unit (new one) as a buffer should this happen again.

·
Banned
4,869 Posts
kcman said:
I'm considering buying another unit (new one) as a buffer should this happen again.
You'll have to commit yourself to a full year of service on the "buffer" machine. It may not be a problem for you, but it may be for someone else.

·
kcman
11 Posts
You're right but what other alternative is there out there? I'm open to suggestions, I only have the single DVR that's in "limbo" somewhere in TIVO land. I love TIVO's program service, I just don't care for what's happening with their replacement program.

·
Banned
331 Posts
My delivery was confirmed yesterday. I just hope TiVo gets their act together on this. I should have known they were having problems when they said they were no longer able to cross-ship replacement units. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens to mine.

·
spongeworthy
274 Posts
I have a similar post in the TiVo forums (asking when people received their units back).

Call me a cynic, but I would be surprised if I get mine back before Thanksgiving.

I will call next week and ask for my old unit back (I'm pretty sure this is a waste of time, but you never know until you try).

·
Registered
527 Posts
:mad:
SJAndrew said:
I have a similar post in the TiVo forums (asking when people received their units back).

Call me a cynic, but I would be surprised if I get mine back before Thanksgiving.

I will call next week and ask for my old unit back (I'm pretty sure this is a waste of time, but you never know until you try).
Is Tivo dying. The word is Yes. I hope this is not true In podcasted,This week in tech.A Twit podcast with Leo I cant remember his last name and with others were talking about this and they think its so. does any know whats with Tivo I cant belive this true? :confused:

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
For what it's worth, there were far more stories of TiVo's demise when I bought mine over 5 years ago. If I had gone with monthly, I would have paid $780.80 so far in service fees. However, I went with lifetime for $199. Current resale value of my lifetime service on ebay is $150 to $200 making my total service cost for five and half years around $0 to $50 - a $730 to $780 price difference.

TiVo's original competitor, ReplayTV has gone out of business twice but was picked up each time by another company who continued the service. I think people who choose to go monthly out of concern for TiVo's health are paying way too much money for a feeling of security but if you need that feeling, go for it.

·
spongeworthy
274 Posts
Much to my surprise, I just received a response from a TiVo employee (he was responding to the thread I posted in the TiVo help forums).

As I wrote in my response to him, this contact goes a LONG way in repairing a lot of bad feelings I've developed for TiVo customer support borne of this situation. I can accept it taking longer than normal, I can accept extenuating circumstances, but I cannot accept an abject lack of information.

We'll see where this goes....I have my fingers crossed.

·
spongeworthy
274 Posts
I received a phone call from Abigail in "execute support" for TiVo. She gave me a UPS tracking number for my TiVo.

Upon tracking the number, it's coming UPS red leaving today. I hope they sent it to my work as noted in the RMA documentation. But, even if it comes to my house and I cannot get it, at least I have information now....so much better than being in the dark.

Assuming I receive my replacement unit as I should, then I can say hats off to TiVo for fixing this problem as quickly as they did. My post on their forum was a day or two ago, I received an e-mail today, and a phone call with a UPS red tracking number late this afternoon. Every company has glitches..it's how they fix those glitches that proves their worth. Assuming everything turns out okay, then I can say my faith in TiVo has been restored :up:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I have to say that I eventually not only got my rma tivo, but for some reason I also got another tivo. So, 2 tivo's for one. Not back.

TiVo, you're great!

Back on my recommended list!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.