TiVo Community Forum banner
101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
HD Tech
1,053 Posts
Ah, but have you tried fast scrolling with a flick of the thumb across the Apple TV's touchpad button? That's pretty nice too.
I've tried very hard to like the ATV4K's remotes (I have two each of the 1st and 2nd gen), but it's not my style. I like remotes with buttons that do things, not touchpads so much.

I understand the ATV4K can learn 'other' remotes. I have a TiVo setup here, but I also have one of the older TiVo remotes that had a slide switch to select a 'second' TiVo to control, and I'm going to see if I can find it and teach the ATV4K to respond to it without triggering the TiVo.

In the meantime, CEC works here (frighteningly enough), and once I power on the ATV4K, I tend to use the remote from my Sony a80j to control most of the needed select/play/pause/shuttle functions. I still pick up the Apple remote for the occasional voice command and to scan the timeline, though.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Thanks for more great info. I have an LG-32-LM62 TV, but its remote is flimsy. I love my Tivo remote.
OK, you're not going to be able to run the Channels app directly on that TV. You will need to connect any of the following three types of streaming device to it in order to use the Channels app with your LG TV:

• Apple TV
  • Fire TV
  • Android TV (which could be the TiVo Stream 4K, the Onn 4K Box, the Nvidia Shield TV, etc.)
Be aware that the Nvidia Shield TV (reg. $200) can both run the Channels server software and store your DVR recordings and also act as your app streaming device, running the Channels app on your TV. You'll probably want to connect an external USB hard drive to the Nvidia Shield TV to increase the amount of DVR recordings it can store.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just had that install done today (only had phone service prior) and when it was finished the tech physically removed the aerial (copper) cable...fiber is in underground conduit.
They rip out the copper so no-one else can ever use that copper ever again. A few years ago a friend ordered FiOS for TV, and when they came over they ripped out his copper but he had DSL over copper at the time... 😂 no Internet for 3 weeks until they "fixed" it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Be aware that the Nvidia Shield TV (reg. $200) can both run the Channels server software and store your DVR recordings and also act as your app streaming device, running the Channels app on your TV. You'll probably want to connect an external USB hard drive to the Nvidia Shield TV to increase the amount of DVR recordings it can store.
Also a Plex server built in... 😏

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
That remote is the only bad thing about Apple TV. I found it worthwhile to replace it with the Salt remote, which has real buttons that actually work.
It has its issues but once I got used to it, I actually quite like the Apple TV remote. And the second-gen version, which I have now, is definitely better. But, yes, the touchpad can be a bit tricky.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts