TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Fiber is nice if you can get it.

AT&T buried new conduit then pulled fiber on the main road outside my development almost FIVE years ago and they still haven't deigned to run it down into our neighborhood.

Ironically, I'm connected to the internet via fiber right now at our cabin up in the mountains...the local telephone membership co-op is targeting replacing all their copper plant with fiber by the end of this month.

Just had that install done today (only had phone service prior) and when it was finished the tech physically removed the aerial (copper) cable...fiber is in underground conduit.

·
Cranky old novice
9,481 Posts
……. it still beats the pants off Comcast as far as I'm concerned.
Comcast and Spectrum need to be de-pants ‘ed. (Sorry couldn’t resist but cable TV has been a license to steal for decades. It was all legal of course.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
For folks who live in a Verizon FiOS area and their home already has a FiOS optical network terminal (ONT) installed, then yes, Verizon FiOS TV is a great option for folks who wish to continue using their CableCARD TiVo DVRs with cable TV service. As pointed out above, Verizon is using a new 2 gig-capable ONT for new installations in NYC and, if not already, very soon throughout the rest of their FiOS footprint, and this new ONT does not support CableCARD as it can only translate the incoming QAM-based FiOS TV service to IPTV on the local home network. (They say that FiOS TV is "coming soon" for customers with the new ONT. We'll see if that ever actually happens or they decide against it and just try to sell those folks YouTube TV or Hulu Live, as they already do on the Verizon 5G Home service which I'm currently trialling.)

As for Frontier, from what I can gather, they no longer sell any form of Frontier-branded TV service to new subscribers anywhere in the country. I'm not aware of them yet shutting down either Frontier FiOS TV or Frontier Vantage TV (formerly AT&T Uverse TV) in any markets, although that may already be underway. But if you don't already have Frontier FiOS TV, I think it's impossible to order at this point, as Frontier only wants to sell you broadband plus streaming video services like YouTube TV or DirecTV Stream (both of which are offered on the Frontier website). I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Frontier does the same thing that another telco, CenturyLink (Lumen) did in 2020-21, and completely shut down operations of their own pay TV services.
QA
I've posted on this topic in a few other threads here, so I'm not going to put up all the evidence/links again, but it's clear at this point that Charter plans to implement "high-split" upgrades to their network that will allow much higher upload speeds. In order to do this, cable operators typically find it necessary to shut down QAM TV. Charter's CEO stated back in January that they would implement high-split in a number of markets in 2022, with others to follow after. Now, IDK, plans can and do change, so we may not see the first Charter markets have QAM TV shut down and high-split upgrades until late this year, or even early 2023. But it's coming.

And when it happens to your market, it's bye-bye CableCARD, as that technology can only work with QAM TV, not streaming IPTV (i.e. the Spectrum TV app), which Charter is transitioning to. It will likely take Charter a couple years or so to work their way around the nation to do these upgrades everywhere. So maybe your TiVo will stop working with their cable TV service in 2023. Maybe in 2024. Maybe in 2025. But I'd be shocked if it lasted until 2026. Because the mid-split upgrades are a sort of "hold-over" improvement to DOCSIS 3.1 until the next-gen DOCSIS 4.0 tech is ready to be deployed, which will allow them to offer symmetrical 10 Gbps internet service. And that's looking like it'll be ready for widespread deployment from Charter, Comcast, etc. in 2025, although I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see it happen until 2026.

Comcast is only doing mid-split, rather than high-split, upgrades to D3.1 right now and the next couple years. So it looks like CableCARD will likely continue to work with their cable TV service until they roll out D4.0 in initial markets in 2025/2026. (And if it goes like recent network upgrades have, Comcast will start those 4.0 upgrades in Chicago, Nashville and Atlanta. We'll see.)
People that are in denial that QAM isn't going away need to wake up. The retail sales of the cable version of TiVo devices are withering on the vine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Switch to Fios like yesterday. It’s FAR superior to Spectrum!
I live right in the center of Manhattan and thought I would see if anything has changed in the 10 years since I last looked... nope, FIOS is still not available in my neighborhood. This is what happens when you have very few providers even if they're given massive tax breaks to build out fiber...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yeah, he says in his post that he's getting those channels free over-the-air. Be aware that within each generation of TiVo DVR (Roamio, Bolt, Edge, etc.), only certain models support OTA reception. Some models support both CableCARD and OTA while some models only support one or the other.
Didn't think there would be anyplace that had 100 channels over the airl

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
But maybe 20 tops has watchable content. And half of them just show retro/classic programs.

I bought a lifetime Plex Pass to use their OTA DVR service and I don't regret it but, to be honest, there's just less and less worth recording and watching on any broadcast channel, IMO. I'm down to like one scripted series on ABC and one on Fox (both of which I could watch with better PQ on Hulu if I subscribed to it). Main thing I like it for is to record the evening national newscasts from CBS and NBC because I'm, uh, "of a certain age".

I continue to believe that the long-term future of the national broadcast networks is to merge into those companies' free ad-supported apps, i.e. CBS will eventually stream live and on-demand on PlutoTV, Fox on Tubi TV, etc. Well, except for the live sports. That's high-value content that will, for the most part, be reserved for their pay apps. I look for this transition to happen by 2030. No need to bother with ATSC 3.0 because the networks will do an end-run around their local affiliates by taking all their content into their own free and paid streaming apps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Be aware that while there are older ONT's previously installed, Verizon is now primarily installing new generation ONTs (using NG-PON2) which do not support linear QAM (there is not even an RF out port). Verizon has made no secret of their eventual goal of getting of TV service (their CSRs will sell FiOS TV for customers not on the new generation of ONT's, but they first suggest OTT providers such as YTTV), as their primary focus is on HSI.

As with many other operators, the writing is on the wall, if you know how to read it. Of course, just like the sign being held on the street saying "The End is Near", no one has yet defined the exact timeframe of near.
If you could use a few more acronyms, it would certainly clarify things! Frankly it's a PITA trying to understand WTF you are talking about. JW, is it really so difficult type the whole word? SINTT, your device does most of the work, and in most cases you're only saving one or two characters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Talked to Spectrum last night (specifically cable card tech support) who told me about what their future plans phasing out CableCards.

So now Im trying to figure out how to prepare for switching to what comes next. Im of the opinion I don't want any new boxes from Spectrum so now Im looking for a service that gives me some of the networks I regularly watch plus some premium channels I currently have. It would be nice if I could use a TiVO box to search and consume that service. Would it make sense to get Edge for Cable and switch to use it as a purely streaming device when the time comes? Would things like YouTube TV work with TiVO in some way? Much as I dislike streaming services in general, it looks like this is the way things are going. What about PlutoTV or Plex TV ? Does it make sense to look at Spectrum's AppleTV offering ? So many questions...

·
Registered
12,930 Posts
Talked to Spectrum last night (specifically cable card tech support) who told me about what their future plans phasing out CableCards.

So now Im trying to figure out how to prepare for switching to what comes next. Im of the opinion I don't want any new boxes from Spectrum so now Im looking for a service that gives me some of the networks I regularly watch plus some premium channels I currently have. It would be nice if I could use a TiVO box to search and consume that service. Would it make sense to get Edge for Cable and switch to use it as a purely streaming device when the time comes? Would things like YouTube TV work with TiVO in some way? Much as I dislike streaming services in general, it looks like this is the way things are going. What about PlutoTV or Plex TV ? Does it make sense to look at Spectrum's AppleTV offering ? So many questions...
Well, what did they say?
(not that I usually believe a thing any CSR say. In most cases they are the last to know future plans and especially details of those plans)

Tivo Edge - or any TIVO DVR - does not work with YouTube TV or Plex TV. There’s a Pluto app for TiVo DVRs and it’s fairly horrible.

Tivo DVRs work with cable card and antennas and a very limited set of streaming services (None of which are LIVE streaming services)

·
Registered
4,654 Posts

What you want is a streaming cable TV service. That might be from Charter -- they offer it via the Spectrum TV app -- or it might be YouTube TV, DirecTV Stream, Hulu with Live TV, Fubo TV, Sling, Philo, or FrndlyTV. Be aware that only Spectrum TV, YouTube TV, DirecTV Stream and Hulu with Live TV include major local stations, so you'd probably need to supplement the latter four with an OTA antenna if you went with them. To help you choose between them, try the website linked below. Type in your zip code, then pick the local and national channels that you mainly care about and it will show you your various options and their prices.

The next step after that is figuring out what sort of equipment you want to use to run your selected service's app on. Pretty much all those services I listed support Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, Google/Android TV, and Samsung smart TV. One of them -- DirecTV Stream -- offers their own optional custom streaming box and full-scale voice remote that delivers a very traditional cable-like user experience. (They're not rented but purchased for $120 each new or $50 each refurbished with a 1-yr warranty either way.)

Different services seem to work better on different devices, so it's difficult for me to give you advice on which to go with. I don't know which is more important to you -- a specific service/app or a specific device platform. Pick one and then I can give recommendations on which to choose for the other.

The best overall low-cost solution, IMO, is to pair YouTube TV ($65/mo) with the Onn 4K Android TV box with Google-designed remote from Walmart ($20 each). The remote is nice for YouTube TV since it has TV power and volume, plus channel up/down, and a dedicated live TV button that launches you straight into the YouTube TV app. Actually, you can just click that one button and it should turn on your TV, switch it to the correct HDMI input, and bring up the YouTube TV app on your screen so that you're ready to watch live or recorded cable TV. (That's the way it works on my parents' 2 TVs.) In most markets, YouTube TV carries the local ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and PBS stations, plus a big variety of national cable channels. About the only noteworthy ones they still lack are the A+E nets (History, A&E, Lifetime, Vice), plus NHL Network, Magnolia, and AXS TV.

YouTube TV's HD picture quality is good, although DirecTV Stream's is definitely the best. YouTube TV is slowly rolling out support for Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound; it's already fully deployed on DirecTV Stream. Both services, as well as Hulu with Live TV, give you unlimited cloud DVR storage but your recordings auto-delete after 9 months so you can't keep them forever. You can record on as many channels simultaneously as you want. Note that Hulu with Live TV automatically includes Disney+ and ESPN+ too (in separate apps) for no extra cost. DirecTV Stream has a user interface that's most like traditional cable while Hulu's is the least like it (so might have a steeper learning curve).

Anyhow, that link I posted above will help you figure out which service has all the channels you care about. Good luck!

·
HD Tech
1,055 Posts
What you want is a streaming cable TV service. That might be from Charter -- they offer it via the Spectrum TV app -- or it might be YouTube TV, DirecTV Stream, Hulu with Live TV, Fubo TV, Sling, Philo, or FrndlyTV. Be aware that only Spectrum TV, YouTube TV, DirecTV Stream and Hulu with Live TV include major local stations, so you'd probably need to supplement the latter four with an OTA antenna if you went with them. To help you choose between them, try the website linked below. Type in your zip code, then pick the local and national channels that you mainly care about and it will show you your various options and their prices.

That's a handy site. I wish they had locked to top column designators so I didn't have to constantly scroll back up to see which service I was looking at, but in general well done. Thanks.

I've been looking at YTTV, and notice that the CW network where I get my morning local news is listed as VOD only. That means no live streaming of their content, I assume. Almost no streaming services offer the CW as a live feed, I noticed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·

The next step after that is figuring out what sort of equipment you want to use to run your selected service's app on. Pretty much all those services I listed support Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, Google/Android TV, and Samsung smart TV. One of them -- DirecTV Stream -- offers their own optional custom streaming box and full-scale voice remote that delivers a very traditional cable-like user experience. (They're not rented but purchased for $120 each new or $50 each refurbished with a 1-yr warranty either way.)

Different services seem to work better on different devices, so it's difficult for me to give you advice on which to go with. I don't know which is more important to you -- a specific service/app or a specific device platform. Pick one and then I can give recommendations on which to choose for the other.

The best overall low-cost solution, IMO, is to pair YouTube TV ($65/mo) with the Onn 4K Android TV box with Google-designed remote from Walmart ($20 each). The remote is nice for YouTube TV since it has TV power and volume, plus channel up/down, and a dedicated live TV button that launches you straight into the YouTube TV app. Actually, you can just click that one button and it should turn on your TV, switch it to the correct HDMI input, and bring up the YouTube TV app on your screen so that you're ready to watch live or recorded cable TV. (That's the way it works on my parents' 2 TVs.) In most markets, YouTube TV carries the local ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and PBS stations, plus a big variety of national cable channels. About the only noteworthy ones they still lack are the A+E nets (History, A&E, Lifetime, Vice), plus NHL Network, Magnolia, and AXS TV.

YouTube TV's HD picture quality is good, although DirecTV Stream's is definitely the best. YouTube TV is slowly rolling out support for Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound; it's already fully deployed on DirecTV Stream. Both services, as well as Hulu with Live TV, give you unlimited cloud DVR storage but your recordings auto-delete after 9 months so you can't keep them forever. You can record on as many channels simultaneously as you want. Note that Hulu with Live TV automatically includes Disney+ and ESPN+ too (in separate apps) for no extra cost. DirecTV Stream has a user interface that's most like traditional cable while Hulu's is the least like it (so might have a steeper learning curve).

Anyhow, that link I posted above will help you figure out which service has all the channels you care about. Good luck!
load
Which services allow you to download or record to a pc?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, what did they say?
He basically said Spectrum has already started sending out letters to Cablecard customers and our existing equipment will continue to function but no new installs, and replacements will become scarce eventually. They plan to offer deals, one package mentioned was an AppleTV with probably some steep discounts on services for a year or two. I don’t want an AppleTV or be in that ecosystem. Over the years I’ve played with many set top boxes - I currently have a Roku, Google TV (Chromecast) dongles and also a Shield. So maybe I’ll pick what plays well on those boxes. I’m leaning towards YouTube TV because it probably works on all my boxes. But still need to do my homework before I commit to anything. I know one thing, I’ll be paying a lot less than I currently do to Spectrum!

·
Registered
19 Posts
To help you choose between them, try the website linked below. Type in your zip code, then pick the local and national channels that you mainly care about and it will show you your various options and their prices.
Just also wanted to add, that’s a great site. So far the top recommendation based on my choices is YouTube TV.

So I have most of the boxes you’ve listed including Shield (Android TV). The Google TV and I think the Shield can stream 4K for when I upgrade to 4K later this year.

That’s an important point that I didn’t think about: I currently have surround sound with a Sonos Soundbar and paired Sonos One speakers for left and right. Good to know. It’s sad to see this is the end for TiVO. My experience goes all the way back to the original Series 2 boxes which allowed me to download and decode the raw video files. Fun times. We will all end up comparing everything to TiVO and shaking our heads.

·
Registered
12,930 Posts
Another thought: what about the TiVO 4K Streamer ? Seems to support YouTube TV and other services but in one interface with a familiar remote 🤔
I found the Stream 4K to be nothing special. It’s and AndroidTV streamer with a mini TiVo remote and a single TiVo app that consolidates your streaming shows (just like bookmarks in the DVR UI).

I dislike Android anyway so I found the UI horrible but YMMV.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts