TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, as soon as I get the email I'll be using it to tell the spousal unit that we're dropping our $200/month triple-play.

I've been testing T-Mobile's Home Internet...it's faster & cheaper ($50/month, no fees/taxes for broadband in my state)

Will setup the Ooma Telo Air I just got & forward my Spectrum VOIP number to it to test Ooma, then port out to Ooma if it works OK...will be under $20/month for Ooma Premier service, including all fees/taxes.

I've got a nice amplified antenna to install outside for my base Roamio...just re-run Guided Setup for OTA.

Any cable shows I want I can just sign up & use their streaming app for a month or two.
I have a TiVo on Spectrum in NC. They stopped offering cable cards for new customers shortly after the legislation changed a year ago. They currently still support existing cable card customers but I anticipate that is going to change shortly (I have not received an email alerting me to a change). I prefer TiVo to streaming and generic DVRs offered by cable companies (TiVo is far superior) and will be sad when they drop support. I complained to the FCC but got nowhere with them.

So I will do likewise - as soon as Spectrum drops support for my TiVo, I will be changing providers and will not be sad to be rid of Spectrum. I have a few streaming packages now (not great for sports) but I will also mount an antenna and use my TiVo for OTA reception. The good news is that I will be able to upgrade to vastly superior fiber internet when we are booted from Spectrum (that fiber service lacks a cable TV offering though - TiVo is the only reason we haven't switched already).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in NC on Sectrum as well. I have had a 3tb 6 tuner for +6 years, had trouble with it 3 yrs ago and Tivo replaced it, no charge yes refurb but works! I just checked my One Pass Mgr and have 135 currently scheduled to record shows..yes I'm a tv-a-holic 😁
I have returned competitor's junk dvrs even before the free promo was over. It's not Tivo!

But it's a pain to keep resetting the Tuning Adapters monthly as it disconnects 😑 and the CableCard overheats, so had to set up a small pc fan to keep the already raised Tivo cool.

With their cable and internet rates rising, one box with 3 cc still costing me @200/month, good time to say goodbye too after 19yrs!
So long Weaknees.. unless they have ota boxes 🤔😄

3 Tivo Bolts +5 years old and a Premiere that's 10
You should be able to re-provision the bolts for OTA use. Yeah, I have to reset the dumb tuning adapters periodically and I also have an external fan for my Bolt so sounds familiar. The most annoying thing for me though is how NC runs those Emergency Alert System tests so often that mess up the tuners on the TiVo. That is really annoying.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts