TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
wait.. I did what?
15,096 Posts
Stop telling people to get Fios. These are the only places Fios is available. (The major cities, in a handful of states in the NE). Don't expect this anywhere else any time soon.
Verizon Fios Availability & Coverage Map for Internet, TV, Phone Service

View attachment 73110

That really just looks like sponsored content in that original link to me. "The overpriced cable card", that I'm paying $1 a month for? If spectrum stops supporting this, I'm not going to a different tivo, I'm going to streaming TV, with all time 4K, and unlimited cloud DVR, and certainly wouldn't be spectrum. If I thought I could get a good return on my bolt with lifetime, I'd probably sell it now.
I'm sorry, but IF.. and I say IF someone has FiOS available, then it is a far superior product option, there's also the Frontier FiOS communities, and I don't blame people for suggesting it.
Frontier also acquired the fiber-optic system built by Verizon primarily in Fort Wayne, Indiana, around Portland, Oregon, the Tampa Bay area of Florida, southern California, some eastern suburbs of Seattle, Washington, the Dallas–Fort Worth metroplex, and the Greenville area in South Carolina
So that list is missing a bunch of locations, however while the service itself is just as good as when Verizon owned those regions, the TV and Customer support from Frontier is really pretty bad.
It's a shame that FiOS was never able to expand to be a major player, but the slow rollout really hurt them and they just gave up when it was obvious how far ahead the CableCo's were and how much less it cost them to deploy to a home.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,096 Posts
For folks who live in a Verizon FiOS area and their home already has a FiOS optical network terminal (ONT) installed, then yes, Verizon FiOS TV is a great option for folks who wish to continue using their CableCARD TiVo DVRs with cable TV service. As pointed out above, Verizon is using a new 2 gig-capable ONT for new installations in NYC and, if not already, very soon throughout the rest of their FiOS footprint, and this new ONT does not support CableCARD as it can only translate the incoming QAM-based FiOS TV service to IPTV on the local home network. (They say that FiOS TV is "coming soon" for customers with the new ONT. We'll see if that ever actually happens or they decide against it and just try to sell those folks YouTube TV or Hulu Live, as they already do on the Verizon 5G Home service which I'm currently trialling.)

As for Frontier, from what I can gather, they no longer sell any form of Frontier-branded TV service to new subscribers anywhere in the country. I'm not aware of them yet shutting down either Frontier FiOS TV or Frontier Vantage TV (formerly AT&T Uverse TV) in any markets, although that may already be underway. But if you don't already have Frontier FiOS TV, I think it's impossible to order at this point, as Frontier only wants to sell you broadband plus streaming video services like YouTube TV or DirecTV Stream (both of which are offered on the Frontier website). I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Frontier does the same thing that another telco, CenturyLink (Lumen) did in 2020-21, and completely shut down operations of their own pay TV services.
Frontier did indeed lose the permission to call their service FiOS, but it's still the same technology as Verizon.
However I will continue to espouse the benefits of FiOS as an option for anyone who has it available to them, and I certainly believe there are people here that may not have bothered thinking about FiOS and a push from a few very satisfied users may help push them towards it, because it still beats the pants off Comcast as far as I'm concerned.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts