TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Tivo-Spectrum problems ahead?

11K views 107 replies 29 participants last post by  symbiat 
There are about 20 cities where Frontier provides any kind of service, and not all of them offer fiber optic.

You are also muddying up the answer. FiOS is the name of Verizon's service which is what was suggested, and you are saying FiOS, (FIber Optic Service).

I do blame people for continuously suggesting it, HERE. This is the "tivo community" website. Right off the bat we take a bit more involvement in our media than most. Suggesting it here (SEVERAL TIMES), is like going to the Chevy dealership, while they are having a meet event with sports car drivers and saying, "Have you heard of the Corvette?, Have you seen that car over there, that's the corvette? You could buy that car if you want a sports car, it's called a Corvette."

Do you really think people spend the effort to search, sign up for a website, and post about their tv equipment, but never bothered to see which tv service options they have for their home in the first place? It's like going to a brunch restaurant, and asking to speak to the chef so you can ask "do you make eggs?"

I see it suggested a lot on this website which in itself is unneeded. Doing it multiple times in one thread is unaware and kind of ridiculous. It's almost condescending, and talking down to people.
In this particular thread, Fios was suggested to ONE USER (here, and I've edited the post to make it clear it was a reply) who said he was already considering it.

Every other mention was either answering a direct question or someone complaining that Fios was being discussed.

And do I think people on this website may not know what options they have in their area? Absolutely. I see people on this website who don't know how to use the Input button on their TV or know how to navigate to the most basic of TiVo functions (even though they say they've used TiVo for years) so I'd say there's a wide range of expertise on this website.

I am considering Verizon Fios if Spectrum drops all Cable Cards since I already have an ODN box they had to place in for Landline phone support since copper wiring has been phased out and Fios seems to be more Cable Card friendly, for now… or going OTA and some sort of Streamer/YouTube TV like setup, but not something I’m familiar with
Switch to Fios like yesterday. It’s FAR superior to Spectrum!

Mind if I ask what the setup is like, does it require a TA? How as the Cable Card setup? Is the coax connected directly to the TiVo only, can a splitter be used to direct connect to the TV as if was a clear QAM signal?
Note: I have Verizon Fios which may be different than Frontier.

No TA is needed. CableCard setup is very simple, they have a self-service online tool. I think in 5 years I've had to chat with customer service once or twice with a minor issue (needed to re-hit the card).

I do not know if the coax can feed your TV. I just connect my coax to my TiVo.

Another thought: what about the TiVO 4K Streamer ? Seems to support YouTube TV and other services but in one interface with a familiar remote 🤔
I found the Stream 4K to be nothing special. It’s and AndroidTV streamer with a mini TiVo remote and a single TiVo app that consolidates your streaming shows (just like bookmarks in the DVR UI).

I dislike Android anyway so I found the UI horrible but YMMV.

Talked to Spectrum last night (specifically cable card tech support) who told me about what their future plans phasing out CableCards.

So now Im trying to figure out how to prepare for switching to what comes next. Im of the opinion I don't want any new boxes from Spectrum so now Im looking for a service that gives me some of the networks I regularly watch plus some premium channels I currently have. It would be nice if I could use a TiVO box to search and consume that service. Would it make sense to get Edge for Cable and switch to use it as a purely streaming device when the time comes? Would things like YouTube TV work with TiVO in some way? Much as I dislike streaming services in general, it looks like this is the way things are going. What about PlutoTV or Plex TV ? Does it make sense to look at Spectrum's AppleTV offering ? So many questions...
Well, what did they say?
(not that I usually believe a thing any CSR say. In most cases they are the last to know future plans and especially details of those plans)

Tivo Edge - or any TIVO DVR - does not work with YouTube TV or Plex TV. There’s a Pluto app for TiVo DVRs and it’s fairly horrible.

Tivo DVRs work with cable card and antennas and a very limited set of streaming services (None of which are LIVE streaming services)

You talk like it's available nationwide everywhere. It is not.

I live in a major American city, in an upscale neighborhood, less than three miles from the heart of a famous district, and the projected fiber rollout in this area is the 12th of Never.

If Spectrum shuts down cable cards, my current 200/10 service is more than good enough to accommodate streaming 4K on several sets simultaneously.
I was replying to the poster who said they were considering switching to Fios.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.