TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Switch to Fios like yesterday. It’s FAR superior to Spectrum!
I live right in the center of Manhattan and thought I would see if anything has changed in the 10 years since I last looked... nope, FIOS is still not available in my neighborhood. This is what happens when you have very few providers even if they're given massive tax breaks to build out fiber...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Talked to Spectrum last night (specifically cable card tech support) who told me about what their future plans phasing out CableCards.

So now Im trying to figure out how to prepare for switching to what comes next. Im of the opinion I don't want any new boxes from Spectrum so now Im looking for a service that gives me some of the networks I regularly watch plus some premium channels I currently have. It would be nice if I could use a TiVO box to search and consume that service. Would it make sense to get Edge for Cable and switch to use it as a purely streaming device when the time comes? Would things like YouTube TV work with TiVO in some way? Much as I dislike streaming services in general, it looks like this is the way things are going. What about PlutoTV or Plex TV ? Does it make sense to look at Spectrum's AppleTV offering ? So many questions...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, what did they say?
He basically said Spectrum has already started sending out letters to Cablecard customers and our existing equipment will continue to function but no new installs, and replacements will become scarce eventually. They plan to offer deals, one package mentioned was an AppleTV with probably some steep discounts on services for a year or two. I don’t want an AppleTV or be in that ecosystem. Over the years I’ve played with many set top boxes - I currently have a Roku, Google TV (Chromecast) dongles and also a Shield. So maybe I’ll pick what plays well on those boxes. I’m leaning towards YouTube TV because it probably works on all my boxes. But still need to do my homework before I commit to anything. I know one thing, I’ll be paying a lot less than I currently do to Spectrum!

·
Registered
19 Posts
To help you choose between them, try the website linked below. Type in your zip code, then pick the local and national channels that you mainly care about and it will show you your various options and their prices.
Just also wanted to add, that’s a great site. So far the top recommendation based on my choices is YouTube TV.

The next step after that is figuring out what sort of equipment you want to use to run your selected service's app on. Pretty much all those services I listed support Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, Google/Android TV, and Samsung smart TV. One of them -- DirecTV Stream -- offers their own optional custom streaming box and full-scale voice remote that delivers a very traditional cable-like user experience. (They're not rented but purchased for $120 each new or $50 each refurbished with a 1-yr warranty either way.)

Different services seem to work better on different devices, so it's difficult for me to give you advice on which to go with. I don't know which is more important to you -- a specific service/app or a specific device platform. Pick one and then I can give recommendations on which to choose for the other.
So I have most of the boxes you’ve listed including Shield (Android TV). The Google TV and I think the Shield can stream 4K for when I upgrade to 4K later this year.

YouTube TV's HD picture quality is good, although DirecTV Stream's is definitely the best. YouTube TV is slowly rolling out support for Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound; it's already fully deployed on DirecTV Stream. Both services, as well as Hulu with Live TV, give you unlimited cloud DVR storage but your recordings auto-delete after 9 months so you can't keep them forever. You can record on as many channels simultaneously as you want. Note that Hulu with Live TV automatically includes Disney+ and ESPN+ too (in separate apps) for no extra cost. DirecTV Stream has a user interface that's most like traditional cable while Hulu's is the least like it (so might have a steeper learning curve).
That’s an important point that I didn’t think about: I currently have surround sound with a Sonos Soundbar and paired Sonos One speakers for left and right. Good to know. It’s sad to see this is the end for TiVO. My experience goes all the way back to the original Series 2 boxes which allowed me to download and decode the raw video files. Fun times. We will all end up comparing everything to TiVO and shaking our heads.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just had that install done today (only had phone service prior) and when it was finished the tech physically removed the aerial (copper) cable...fiber is in underground conduit.
They rip out the copper so no-one else can ever use that copper ever again. A few years ago a friend ordered FiOS for TV, and when they came over they ripped out his copper but he had DSL over copper at the time... 😂 no Internet for 3 weeks until they "fixed" it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Be aware that the Nvidia Shield TV (reg. $200) can both run the Channels server software and store your DVR recordings and also act as your app streaming device, running the Channels app on your TV. You'll probably want to connect an external USB hard drive to the Nvidia Shield TV to increase the amount of DVR recordings it can store.
Also a Plex server built in... 😏

1 - 9 of 9 Posts