1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
28 Posts
There really isn't any fix for your Roamio - if it uses a cable card it won't work without one, so when Spectrum kills off cable card support your Roamio will be useless (unless you have the base model - I forgot there was one Roamio that supported both cable & OTA). When that will happen to you is unknown.

There's an existing thread on this subject:

·
Registered
88 Posts
If and when the day this BS move comes, any cable company should offer a dvr cable box for the same price as the cable card setup - yeah, I know that’ll never happen.
I‘m in Manhattan since the days of Manhattan Cable TV, which became Time Warner Cable and eventually Spectrum and can guarantee you there is no loyalty for long time customers …

I am considering Verizon Fios if Spectrum drops all Cable Cards since I already have an ODN box they had to place in for Landline phone support since copper wiring has been phased out and Fios seems to be more Cable Card friendly, for now… or going OTA and some sort of Streamer/YouTube TV like setup, but not something I’m familiar with

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
I am considering Verizon Fios if Spectrum drops all Cable Cards since I already have an ODN box they had to place in for Landline phone support since copper wiring has been phased out and Fios seems to be more Cable Card friendly, for now… or going OTA and some sort of Streamer/YouTube TV like setup, but not something I’m familiar with
Switch to Fios like yesterday. It’s FAR superior to Spectrum!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Verizon calls it an ONT, Optical Network Terminal.

EDIT: A little research shows that the ODN are the components including the fiber that goes to the ONT. MAJOR COMPONENTS OF FIBER TO THE HOME (FTTH) -OLT , ODN and ONT

·
Registered
328 Posts
Strikes me that this is really a mistake/problem for Spectrum. As we read here and elsewhere when people are forced off their TIVO boxes they will probably drop Spectrum and go to streaming. I would think Spectrum would like to encourage TIVO and its users to continue the service - raise price of cablecard or charge TIVO a fee but keep its customers . But who knows

·
HD Tech
1,053 Posts
Strikes me that this is really a mistake/problem for Spectrum. As we read here and elsewhere when people are forced off their TIVO boxes they will probably drop Spectrum and go to streaming. I would think Spectrum would like to encourage TIVO and its users to continue the service - raise price of cablecard or charge TIVO a fee but keep its customers . But who knows
Spectrum has said that TiVo using customers are less than 3% of all their subscribers. Not a terrific incentive to keep it going for them.

·
HD Tech
1,053 Posts
Interesting. It looks like politics may have gotten involved in 2020 when FTC dismantled rules that required cable companies to support CableCARD.
Sort of.

The cableco lobbyists convinced the FTC and FCC that streaming services had become so widespread and easily available that there isn't a section of the U.S. where cablecos could any longer be considered a monopoly. The monopoly aspect was what allowed TiVo's lobbyists to originally convince the FTC/FCC that there had to be a system in place to allow non cableco owned equipment to connect to their encrypted service, and the cable card was born.

The new ruling means they no longer have to allow outside hardware to connect to their encrypted feed. They also pointed out that cable card customers who used things like TiVos were less than 3% of their clients.

In the end, it could take years for the transition. I'm kinda grateful that the end of cable cards was not announced with a 30 day end of life warning. Gives people time to consider their alternatives. I love my TiVo setup, have had one for about 20 years now, but will not be sad to no longer have to deal with the Tuning Adapter insanity, the constant source of irritation that it is.

·
HD Tech
1,053 Posts
Switch to Fios like yesterday. It’s FAR superior to Spectrum!
You talk like it's available nationwide everywhere. It is not.

I live in a major American city, in an upscale neighborhood, less than three miles from the heart of a famous district, and the projected fiber rollout in this area is the 12th of Never.

If Spectrum shuts down cable cards, my current 200/10 service is more than good enough to accommodate streaming 4K on several sets simultaneously.

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
You talk like it's available nationwide everywhere. It is not.

I live in a major American city, in an upscale neighborhood, less than three miles from the heart of a famous district, and the projected fiber rollout in this area is the 12th of Never.

If Spectrum shuts down cable cards, my current 200/10 service is more than good enough to accommodate streaming 4K on several sets simultaneously.
I was replying to the poster who said they were considering switching to Fios.

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
Mind if I ask what the setup is like, does it require a TA? How as the Cable Card setup? Is the coax connected directly to the TiVo only, can a splitter be used to direct connect to the TV as if was a clear QAM signal?
Note: I have Verizon Fios which may be different than Frontier.

No TA is needed. CableCard setup is very simple, they have a self-service online tool. I think in 5 years I've had to chat with customer service once or twice with a minor issue (needed to re-hit the card).

I do not know if the coax can feed your TV. I just connect my coax to my TiVo.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts