TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TiVo Software Version 21.11.1.v14.840.6.840 just arrived, any idea what changed? I see nothing obvious.
I am hoping that they at least fixed the issues streaming to the Apps and online.tivo.com!

·
Registered
2 Posts
TiVo Software Version 21.11.1.v14.840.6.840 just arrived, any idea what changed? I see nothing obvious.
I am hoping that they at least fixed the issues streaming to the Apps and online.tivo.com!
In the NE on Xfinity (using CableCard) there are multiple reports of cable services no monger working after the update. No error message ... nothing ... just a blank screen and a Tivo message saying no channels are available. Triple checked with Xfinity, tries several cable cards ... nothing.
Anyone else seeing this?

·
Registered
66 Posts
In the NE on Xfinity (using CableCard) there are multiple reports of cable services no monger working after the update. No error message ... nothing ... just a blank screen and a Tivo message saying no channels are available. Triple checked with Xfinity, tries several cable cards ... nothing.
Anyone else seeing this?
My two TiVo’s are working fine under this version with xfinity cable card’s. Maybe do a reboot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My two TiVo’s are working fine under this version with xfinity cable card’s. Maybe do a reboot.
Thanks - done 3+ reboots and Xfinity checked pairing and cable service. Went to get a replacement cablecard at our local Xfinity store, and I have to wait for one to be shipped, but the assistant there said I was the 3rd person in the space of 20 mins who had come in with a Tico/Xfinity cablecard issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quite frankly as defunct as the company has become, I'm surprised they're even issuing updates.
As for defunct, I don't agree. I switched TV providers a few years ago when Time Warner (now "Spectrum") threatened to drop ABC, who had the NFL contract that year, over a price dispute and changed to Dish. Then two years ago Dish announced a price increase for the first time in 10 years. Well, I thought they were due, but now, in the last 2 years, 3 price increases. I went from $29.99, to $49.99, and the only channel I could not get "over the air" for free, was MSNBC.

In January, 2022, after six months of research, including Amazon's recast and a few other "DVR" type services, I decided on the TiVo Bolt VOX. I switched out the 500 GB hard drive, for a 1 TB, and LOVE my TiVo!!! I paid about $350, including LIFETIME guide subscription.

I now save $50.00 a month, and get MORE channels that I ever did with Dish or Time Warner. I live on the Westside of LA, and with less than $100 for an inconspicuous, outdoor antenna and signal amplifier, I pull in over 160 stations. Over 100 are in English, others are in Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, etc.

I pay $5.00 a month for NBC "Peacock" so I can get my MSNBC programs.

I LOVE my TiVo, and ability to record FOUR stations at once. I can stream to other rooms in the house, or stream when I am away. Dish used to have a sling plate, that I bought, to stream when you were away, but they dropped that and forced people to pay more to have a Hopper. I don't pay a penny to stream anywhere now.

My only regret, is that I didn't do this several years ago. I figure that in saving $50.00 a month (for the lowest Dish package), and I paid $350.00 for my TiVo (again with LIFETIME guide subscription), that in seven months I will have recovered my TiVo Bolt Vox cost, and then will be saving $600.00 a year. Of course if you have a higher package with either a cable or satellite provider, you could save even more.

As long as TiVo keeps its promise for lifetime guide subscription, I can't see ever going back to paying a cable or satellite provider.

With both Dish and Time Warner/Spectrum, I only got two PBS stations. In the LA area, not counting Riverside or the OC, there are 4 PBS stations, including KLCS - the LA Unified School District. With "over the air", FREE digital broadcasts, all 4 PBS networks in the LA area broadcast 4 streams each. The firs is HD, the other 3 are SD. So, I now get 16 PBS streams!!!

Additionally, most of the other "commercial" broadcasters also broadcast one HD channel and 2 to 5, or more SD channels. None of the SD "sub-channels" were ever provided by a paid cable or satellite company.

So, now, five months in, I couldn't be more HAPPY with my TiVo service. I would recommend it to anyone I know. Anyone who comes to my house and sees my TV while it is on, and I let know that it is TiVo, and I don't pay a dime, is shocked at the broadcast quality, the guide, the options, the ability to record 4 broadcasts at once, and the ability to stream anywhere I have WiFi access.

I am a very "happy camper" with TiVo. I think I should be on one of their ads, or a spokesperson for them!!! I had never imagined that I could get so much, after the initial outlay of buying the device & service, for not another penny, ever again for TV broadcast service recording/DVR.

·
TiVo Fanatic
808 Posts
@capilot I agree with you. I love my TiVo. It's just a dying technology unfortunately. CableCARDs not being required to be supported by MSOs sealed the fate of TiVo. They seem to not have any IPTV solutions, and quite frankly, I see them exiting the retail industry. Maybe they sign with a few MSOs, but I don't foresee a new cable model coming out anytime soon. I have thought of purchasing an OTA one when my Edge dies. That plus streaming (Paramount Plus, Peacock, Disney, HBO, Showtime) will probably be the way I go after Xfinity completely gets away from supporting CableCARDs and if TiVo doesn't have a viable IPTV solution that works with Xfinity.

·
TiVowner since 1999
838 Posts
@capilotI have thought of purchasing an OTA one when my Edge dies. That plus streaming (Paramount Plus, Peacock, Disney, HBO, Showtime) will probably be the way I go after Xfinity completely gets away from supporting CableCARDs and if TiVo doesn't have a viable IPTV solution that works with Xfinity.
I switched from two CC Edges to two OTA Edges back in February and I'm very happy with my decision, so far. OTA channel setup was a breeze and the boxes feel snappier to me than the cable card boxes. I was using ancient Motorola cable cards, which may have been slowing me down a bit.

Apologies to the thread starter for veering off topic!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Roamio has been loosing my internet connection for a while, hopefully it’s that. It’s a hard wire & once I reboot it comes back. I would upgrade, but 2 tuners are not enough

·
Registered
21 Posts
@southerndoc Unfortunately, Xfinity service as an option is dying. I tried to change my plan the other day and was told cable cards are obsolete and they don’t support cable cards anymore and I had to rent one of their X1 boxes. So I’m stuck with what I have. I guess it’s time for me to get an OTA tivo. Unfortunately where I live there are only 20 or so channels so maybe I’ll use the Xfinity savings to get another streaming service or 4.

·
tabasco rules
16,723 Posts
@southerndoc Unfortunately, Xfinity service as an option is dying. I tried to change my plan the other day and was told cable cards are obsolete and they don’t support cable cards anymore and I had to rent one of their X1 boxes. So I’m stuck with what I have. I guess it’s time for me to get an OTA tivo. Unfortunately where I live there are only 20 or so channels so maybe I’ll use the Xfinity savings to get another streaming service or 4.
maybe in the market where you live, but not nationwide - comcast here is happy to help with cablecards, and has no plans of dropping support anytime soon.

·
Registered
144 Posts
At this point I don't really care what TiVo does.

My cable bill is $135 a month for standard cable TV and cable internet, if I assume that the cable TV is half of that... That comes to $67.50*12=$810 plus the TiVo subscription at $150 comes to $960 per year for TV and I have to say that the quality of the available content simply cannot justify the cost. So this December when my cable TV goes to à la carte pricing I will be cutting the cord on the cable TV and keep just the internet and switching to streaming for all my TV entertainment. Then come next February, I will not be renewing my TiVo subscription.

That is my answer to how crappy TiVo and cable TV has become!

·
I am Groot!
58,123 Posts
maybe in the market where you live, but not nationwide - comcast here is happy to help with cablecards, and has no plans of dropping support anytime soon.
My condo building switched to a new plan that uses the X1 boxes (when they started making the cable & internet "free," or part of the association fee)...but Xfinity was happy to let me keep using my TiVo w/CableCard.

I find myself using the TiVo less and less (mostly for news these days, although the CW still get some business with their superhero shows). But since cable is "free" (in the sense that I don't pay any extra for it) and the TiVo is on lifetime, there's no cost to me to keep using them.

·
tabasco rules
16,723 Posts
My condo building switched to a new plan that uses the X1 boxes (when they started making the cable & internet "free," or part of the association fee)...but Xfinity was happy to let me keep using my TiVo w/CableCard.

I find myself using the TiVo less and less (mostly for news these days, although the CW still get some business with their superhero shows). But since cable is "free" (in the sense that I don't pay any extra for it) and the TiVo is on lifetime, there's no cost to me to keep using them.
i have solid home internet/wifi and several streaming service options (including comcast), but i still prefer the tivo experience, as long as there are no school closing, election results, or weather scrolls - then i wait a day and stream on-demand. ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Anyone else seeing this?
I’m seeing this here in Chicago :( I see that I have the new software version. All I get now on every channel is “This channel is not authorized. Contact your provider for more information. (V58).” Did you ever get it resolved? What should I do? A reboot did not change anything (TiVo Edge here).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.