TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having problems connecting Samsung OLED Smart TV (with a Tizen platform) to Altantic BB's TiVO "Smartbox". Do these platforms conflict? Can get TV channels through the Smartbox remote, but internet services will not connect (such as channel line up). Can get Apps through Tizen Samsung remote, but not TV channels. Help!!! TV installer could not figure this out and Atlantic thinks there may be a problem with the box (router reset and box signal resent - no help). I don't know enough about Samsung Tizen, but want to eliminate conflict in platforms prior to scheduled service call from Atlantic. These days it seems you almost have to do all the research yourself before the repairman comes!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but it is really simple. 6X4 inch Tivo Smartbox(TM) is plugged into the surge protector (wall); the coax cable goes into the Smart box from the source, and into the only slot available on the box. The HDMI out from the Smartbox goes into the HDMI #1 port on the TV. This is how the Best Buy tech hooked it up and it works except for certain features. The only question is do the TiVo services conflict with the Samsung Tizen platform services to make it impossible to get both together and to get all of the Cable provider's TiVO non DVR services. I am expecting a cable provider tech to come back but if anyone had any experience with Tivo Smartbox/Samsung interface, that would help me.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Remember a while back when I asked you for a "diagram"?

I'd love to see the diagram for that...

-KP
found it
View attachment 62241
Remember a while back when I asked you for a "diagram"?

I'd love to see the diagram for that...

-KP
Diagram From the cable company: The TiVO (brand) "Smartbox" is the cable box or HD Receiver. There is no separate "TiVO appliance.[my statement]
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Screenshot

· wait.. I did what?
15,508 Posts
The TV has no internet connection in your diagram and it will not get it from the Tivo.
You need to give the TV and internet connection via ethernet, wifi, or if it's enabled on the Tivo MoCA on a coax line.

Reactions: kpeters59

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The answer to your question, I believe, is that it is WiFi enabled and connects to the internet though Wi-Fi. It is probably a MoCA system but I am not sure (they don't make it easy for laypeople to understand this stuff).

The cable company has thus far not been able to get a successful connection. I was trying to find out if there was some kind of conflict with Samsung Tizen to make this impossible.

Thank you both for trying to help me, but I think we have been talking past each other. The SMARTBOX, although it is a TiVO branded product is NOT a TiVO DVR device. It is a cable box/HD receiver. From what little is on the internet about it, I believe it is furnished to cable provides in lieu of another brand of HD receiver. The technology was probably acquired through an acquisition and broadened the TiVO product line. See this:
What is the difference between a TiVo DVR, TiVo Mini, and TiVo SmartBox? Comparing TiVo Devices - Blue Ridge (brctv.com)
I have looked in the Samsung forum for answers and I have found nothing so I thought I would come here for help.

Thank you all very much.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You need to verify that both units can connect to the Internet.

They're only 'related' in that the TiVo device connects to the TV to display the picture (and sound). Otherwise, there should be no "conflict".

-KP
Yes. Thank you. That is what I wanted to know. For some reason, the cable system seems not to be connecting properly to the internet and if there is no conflict between platforms, that should be the cable company's problem to solve. I wanted to feel more comfortable that I didn't buy an incompatible TV, and I wanted to be aware of where the problem was because there are always pointing fingers between the cable company and the delivery guy/installer as to whose problem it was. BTW, unless it was lost somehow in the unboxing, there was no paper manual (old school, I know). It occurred to me that I hadn't downloaded it which I just did. There was no specific answer to my question there, but I should have gone there first.

Thank you again.

· Registered
3,372 Posts
Turn off the TiVo. Or unplug it.

Go in to the TV's Network Settings.

Walk through getting the TV connected to the Internet. Or run its built-in 'Connection Test' and verify it's connected.

Once it's verified, you should be able to stream Netflix or YouTube or the like.

Then, bring the TiVo back up.

Repeat the Network Setup on the TiVo device.

Have a drink. Watch TV.

-KP

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cable provider ran me through that sequence twice on the phone including resending signal to the router again before that routine. No connection. They are going to make a service call. I was looking to find a variable that may have been overlooked.
Thanks.

· wait.. I did what?
15,508 Posts
Cable provider ran me through that sequence twice on the phone including resending signal to the router again before that routine. No connection. They are going to make a service call. I was looking to find a variable that may have been overlooked.
Thanks.
I think you're missing something big here, the TV connects to the internet like any other device in your home, it has nothing, nada, zero, zilch to do with the set top box, it has absolutely nothing to do with your cable company or needing them to do anything.

Remove the set top box/receiver, do not connect the coax to the TV, and then connect the TV to your home wifi like you would any other device, iphone, ipad, android phone, etc.
You're adding complication to a scenario that is far more simple than you're describing.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hi dianebrat, I wish I knew better how to answer you, but this is a proprietary system set up by Atlantic Broadband which involves their router, and their TiVO "Smartbox" which I believe has or is a MoCa component. They installed the system originally with an older Samsung tv that broke. This is an attempt to get a newer Samsung to work with that system which is also pretty new. I think that kpeters was onto the idea as I understand it. We are using the Smartbox because the cable company offers features like the program guide and free app channels (somewhat different than those of Tizen) that are desired in our household and possibly we may not be able to get all they features they offer otherwise. I think you are right, we can connect the Tizen to the internet to get the apps. Separately we can get the channels through the Smartbox and we are now using two separate remotes. The problem seems to be getting the ABB added features which apparently need the Smartbox to connect with the router.

The Smartbox is an Aris device: I was wrong it is a partnership not an acquisition. I found the notice of the venture on your forum: ARRIS and TiVo Partner to Bring TiVo® Experience to ARRIS Customers | TiVoCommunity Forum
Here are the specs: QI3_CABLE-SET-TOP-BOX-IP-CLIENT-ATSC-AVC-HD-MOCA-2.0-TIVO_AMT.pdf (goamt.com) It talks about the features.

· wait.. I did what?
15,508 Posts
The problem seems to be getting the ABB added features which apparently need the Smartbox to connect with the router.
You're still overcomplicating it, the TV has nothing to do with the Smartbox, the TV and the apps on it connect to your home network like any other device, either via ethernet or wifi.
Please stop thinking the Smartbox has anything to do with the TV.

The Smartbox is simply a device plugged into the TV via HDMI like any other set top box, if there's an issue internally with it not operating or connecting to something, the issue is wholly within the Smartbox and the responsibility of ABB.

Once again, and I can't stress this enough, the TV and any issues it may have are not at all connected to the "Smartbox"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.