TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a TiVo Slide remote for my wife on September 2, 2010. She had worn the printing off the remote that came with the TiVo HD Series 3 we have. She loves her TiVo!!
The remote worked great until last night. The pad still works, but the remote is dead. Contacted TiVo support via chat and let him walk me through all the things that I'd already done (change batteries, global reset, re-pair USB, etc.).
Final resolution:

Christopher: Okay, unfortunately, it looks like you will need a replacement. Here is the link to our online store:

As the warranty on accessories is only 90 days, we will not be able to process an exchange for the Slide remote.

Me: You would think a remote should last longer than 6 months. I have a 7 year old TiVo (original one) and the remote still works!

Christopher: I understand and I agree, however, there are other factors that can cause a remote to stop working other then age.

Me: Not to be rude, but like shoddy workmanship? $90 is a lot to pay for a remote that only lasts 6 months. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence to go out and pay another $90 and take the risk that one will only last 6 months.

Christopher: I understand the sentiment. However, we are bound by that 90 day warranty. I would understand if you decided not to purchase a replacement slide remote.

My advice is that if you purchase this accessory, get an extended warranty!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that happened.

You probably know that the remote can be purchased for around $60 these days online at places like Amazon.com and J&R Music and Computer World.

Also, if you happen to have an American Express credit card, keep in mind that your warranty is automatically doubled up to an additional one year for purchases you make with it.

Once your original warranty expires, the AMEX warranty takes over. You do need to retain the proof of purchase for the item as well as a copy of your AMEX statement with the item's transaction details on it.

You can see additional details here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry to hear that happened.

You probably know that the remote can be purchased for around $60 these days online at places like Amazon.com and J&R Music and Computer World.

Also, if you happen to have an American Express credit card, keep in mind that your warranty is automatically doubled up to an additional one year for purchases you make with it.

Once your original warranty expires, the AMEX warranty takes over. You do need to retain the proof of purchase for the item as well as a copy of your AMEX statement with the item's transaction details on it.

You can see additional details here[/URL].
Good advice! Unfortunately, I bought it the first place I found it in stock at Best Buy and used my BB credit card.
I see Amazon has it for $61 and I use the Amex for those purchases. If I can get over my frustration, I'll pick up another one there.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Buy another slide remote, become confused and return the non functioning remote with the box and the receipt of the new remote.

·
Banned
341 Posts
Buy another slide remote, become confused and return the non functioning remote with the box and the receipt of the new remote.
Good advice. That's what I'd do.

I've had my Slide Remote since early September. Love it. No problems yet. I hate to see people give up on something I enjoy.

I have a Glow remote too. I found that the black ink on the buttons wear off after a while. I used it about 1 1/2 years. Hasn't started on my Slide Remote.

·
Hmmm...
299 Posts
It will work, 100%. On the BOXES the serial thing is an issue (there, just make sure you swap the internals, not the housing).

Ethical issues are yours to deal with, but in this situation I could definitely understand some confusion!

·
Registered
26,958 Posts
The guy who suggested it would probably get away with swapping and returning (is anyone going to check it so closely as to detect the fraud? probably not). However, taking the thing out of the box, stuffing it in your pocket, and shoplifting it out the door would probably work too if you're careful enough. Stealing is stealing isn't it? or is one type of theft okay and the other isn't?

The fact of the matter is that some devices will fail after the warranty expires. The people calculating the warranties know this. It's why the warranty period is set to what it is. Buying any product is an inherent gamble. Usually you win and the product lasts much longer than the warranty. Sometimes you don't.

For what it's worth, my slide remote works fine and I'm very pleased with it. The only shortcoming is that the buttons are more sensitive than I prefer, but other than that, the functionality and workmanship appears to be fine.

·
Wizard of Oz
796 Posts
Which would be fraud, interstate for that matter. Do not do this.
Didn't Tivo renege on lifetime contracts in the UK? -- and haven't members of this forum attempted to justify an arbitrary 7 year limitation on "lifetime" subs in the US? Does the concept of fraud only apply to the consumer? Isn't turnabout fairplay and don't two wrongs make a right? :D:D:D

·
yes, I AM orangeboy!
4,090 Posts
Didn't Tivo renege on lifetime contracts in the UK? -- and haven't members of this forum attempted to justify an arbitrary 7 year limitation on "lifetime" subs in the US? Does the concept of fraud only apply to the consumer? Isn't turnabout fairplay and don't two wrongs make a right? :D:D:D
There's definitely some heated (to the point of being locked) and interesting topics in the UK Series 1 forum relating to this. Having read both sides of the argument, I'm still on the fence about TiVo's actions over there. I have to believe TiVo's lawyers were consulted HEAVILY before announcing EOS for the Series 1's in the UK...

Edit: A couple relevant sections in the TiVo Service Agreement for BSKYB customers:

6. Changes to Your TiVo Service. TiVo may at its discretion and from time to time change, add, or remove features and functionality of the TiVo service or the TiVo DVR without notice. If you are dissatisfied with any such changes to the TiVo service, you may cancel your use of the TiVo service as provided in Section 15 ("Termination of Service"). TiVo reserves the right to discontinue one, some, or all of the features of the TiVo service you receive at any time at its discretion. TiVo may at its discretion discontinue the provision of software updates to certain TiVo DVRs. This means that while other TiVo DVRs may receive continued software updates and functionality; TiVo is not required to provide such updates to your TiVo DVR. Additionally, the level of service TiVo provides may not be the same on each TiVo DVR; a given TiVo DVR may support different features and functionality, and TiVo is under no obligation to provide all features and functionality to your TiVo DVR.
and

14. Product Lifetime Subscriptions. A "Product Lifetime Subscription" to the TiVo service covers the life of the TiVo DVR you buy – not the life of the subscriber. The Product Lifetime Subscription accompanies the TiVo DVR in case of ownership transfer. The subscription remains in effect if the TiVo DVR needs to be repaired or replaced due to a malfunction (see manufacturer or retailer warranty details) or even if you upgrade your TiVo DVR to increase storage capacity (though such upgrades, if not performed by TiVo or a TiVo-authorized third party, will void the warranty on your TiVo DVR and constitute a breach of this Agreement). Because a Product Lifetime Subscription is linked to a particular TiVo DVR, you may not transfer it to any other TiVo DVR unless all the following conditions apply: (a) the TiVo DVR is being replaced pursuant to the manufacturer's or retailer's warranty; and (b) the TiVo DVR being replaced is of the same make and model as the replacement TiVo DVR; and (c) you provide us with a proof of replacement by the manufacturer or retailer. TiVo reserves the right to charge you a fee to transfer Product Lifetime Service from a TiVo DVR being replaced to a replacement TiVo DVR. Each TiVo DVR purchased requires its own TiVo service subscription and activation. Of course, hardware products don't last forever and their lifespan will vary. TiVo makes no warranties or representations as to the expected lifetime of the TiVo DVR (aside from the manufacturer's or retailer's warranty).
Notably from section 6:
TiVo reserves the right to discontinue one, some, or all of the features of the TiVo service you receive at any time at its discretion.
and section 14:

A "Product Lifetime Subscription" to the TiVo service covers the life of the TiVo DVR you buy

·
Cracker Soul
2,494 Posts
There's definitely some heated (to the point of being locked) and interesting topics in the UK Series 1 forum relating to this. Having read both sides of the argument, I'm still on the fence about TiVo's actions over there. I have to believe TiVo's lawyers were consulted HEAVILY before announcing EOS for the Series 1's in the UK...
You're wasting your time. It's just rationalization of unethical behavior. If it's not one thing it will be another. If nothing else, "Company owes me a working device for unspecified period of time." will usually suffice.

·
Wizard of Oz
796 Posts
While there is an apparent loophole in the UK contract, it doesn't appear in the US and one can only speculate what Tivo's position will be in the future for functioning lifetime Tivo's in the US that they might wish to phase out of service for economic reasons. But I'm not here to reopen the Uk debate -- just to point out that Tivo doesn't necessarily have clean hands; and just as they rationalize their (bad) behavior, so can the consumer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.