TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want TiVo to know: I don't care what the Series 3 costs, I'm buying one. If they can make it affordable, all the better. But the Series 2 changed my life. And the user interface and features have been unmatched by any other PVR I've ever used.

I currently have a Comcast HD DVR that I use (through gritted teeth) alongside my TiVo. When Series 3 comes out that Moterola box is getting tossed right out the window.

Long live TiVo!
 

· Sr Legacy Member
Joined
·
446 Posts
azvenigo said:
I just want TiVo to know: I don't care what the Series 3 costs, I'm buying one. If they can make it affordable, all the better. But the Series 2 changed my life. And the user interface and features have been unmatched by any other PVR I've ever used.

I currently have a Comcast HD DVR that I use (through gritted teeth) alongside my TiVo. When Series 3 comes out that Moterola box is getting tossed right out the window.

Long live TiVo!
I'm with ya, but you should know that TiVo and Comcast have a deal, similar to what TiVO had with DirecTv, and later this year it's expected that the Comcast DVRs (that are Motorolas) will be "upgraded" to have TiVo software.

Given the $10 monthly rental charge, it will be interesting for Comcast subscribers to see what you get with the Series 3 SA vs upgraded Comcast DVRs.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
d_anders said:
I'm with ya, but you should know that TiVo and Comcast have a deal, similar to what TiVO had with DirecTv, and later this year it's expected that the Comcast DVRs (that are Motorolas) will be "upgraded" to have TiVo software.
TiVo has been saying 2nd half of the year for both the Series 3 and the Comcast/TiVo box, but I've heard rumblings that there will be a test of the Comcast box in New Hampshire in March. That might mean the wait will be shorter than expected.

For those of us who aren't Comcast customers, however, that Series 3 box looks so... very... delicious...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
DCIFRTHS said:
Depending on the cost, I also plan on buying two.
I'll be starting with replacing my Series 2 first then after the inevitable price drops/rebates replacing the two Series 2's in the kids rooms. A lot will also depend on how well the Series 3 'plays' with the Series 2's.
 

· I can't explain
Joined
·
19,455 Posts
VinceA said:
I'll be starting with replacing my Series 2 first then after the inevitable price drops/rebates replacing the two Series 2's in the kids rooms. A lot will also depend on how well the Series 3 'plays' with the Series 2's.
good point on how they play together. MRV is used a lot at our house and I do not want to think about where I am recording things in relation to being able to get at it. (HD of course being the exception of staying on a Series 3)

faster MRV is also a good thing :up:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Dan203 said:
If you replace all your TiVos with S3 units then MRV wont be an issue, even in HD. :)

Dan
Not being fabulously weathly, a wholesale replacement project just ain't gonna happen. Right now getting one S3 & a modest HDTV are more than enough home entertainment improvement for my budget.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
Bierboy said:
Maybe they give individuals a "volume discount"...;)
Maybe we TC members ought to pool our orders and try to get some kind of discount direct from TiVo. And maybe if our pre-order is big enough we could get it filled from the first shipment. :D

"I want my HD TiVo. I have money and I'm not afraid to use it." - Me
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
55,361 Posts
briboy75 said:
From what I understand thats not true. Mulitroom viewing will not be supported on Series 3, at first due to "Technical problems".
The "issue" TiVo was referring to at the show about MRV is related to the copyright flag technology that they have to conform to in order to get certified by Cable Labs (the people who control CableCARD). The only thing this might do to MRV functionality is prevent transfers of shows that the content provider explicitly marks as being non-transferable. Which, as of right now, is only being done on VOD and PPV channels and is illegal to do on OTA broadcast channels.

bidger said:
As I understand this, and I could be wrong, that the MRV would be between S3 units, but not between S2 and S3 TiVos. If I'm mistaken, feel free to correct.
This is incorrect. According to sources at the show you should be able to transfer anything to, or from, a S2 unit except HD content. And that's only because the S2 units are incapable of actually playing HD content due to hardware limitations.

Dan
 

· Sr Legacy Member
Joined
·
446 Posts
ChuckyBox said:
TiVo has been saying 2nd half of the year for both the Series 3 and the Comcast/TiVo box, but I've heard rumblings that there will be a test of the Comcast box in New Hampshire in March. That might mean the wait will be shorter than expected.

For those of us who aren't Comcast customers, however, that Series 3 box looks so... very... delicious...
I certainly hope that this is true...Where have you heard rumblings about New Hampshire in March?

What makes New Hampshire so special, just curious? Sorry, just venting...I would beta test this in a heartbeat in the Twin Cities, MN....but I'm sure it's got to do with the program guide updates, etc., and the need to test within a given market, etc.

Anyway, the sooner the better. Given the statements around here, I easily expect that the Series 3s SAs will be inflated by $300-$400 for the first month or two to milk all the early-adopter salivating that's going around. If TiVo is smart, they'll only do it that long...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
Does anyone know yet if the Series 3 will have dual tuners for analog cable? All I have is analog and would love to record two shows like Law & Order CI and Desperate Housewives at the same time on one Tivo.
 

· Let em' Roll
Joined
·
680 Posts
VinceA said:
I'll be starting with replacing my Series 2 first then after the inevitable price drops/rebates replacing the two Series 2's in the kids rooms. A lot will also depend on how well the Series 3 'plays' with the Series 2's.
I will be replacing the 2 Series2 on the same TV with the 1 Series3 (we only have 2 for dual tuner functionality).

Since both are lifetime, I believe my out of pocket cost will be managable once they are sold off on e-bay, return the cable boxes and acquire cable-cards. Space will be substantially saved; 4 boxes to 1 (Woo Hoo!).

Moreover, the quoted standard size for the Series3 is in excess of the 2 Series2 combined.

My math may fail me once I figure that I will want a HD TV to support full functionality. :)

-Roll
 

· Registered
Joined
·
17,566 Posts
TivoZorro said:
Does anyone know yet if the Series 3 will have dual tuners for analog cable? All I have is analog and would love to record two shows like Law & Order CI and Desperate Housewives at the same time on one Tivo.
Yes, it can record from analog cable, and yes it can record two thing at once from analog cable.

Given the rumored price, it won't be a cheap way to do that, but it will certainly work for that.
 
1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top