TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
superbill said:
What we need is a way to permanently switch the audio setting so the sound will work. Even switching the master sound setting to PCM will not fix the problem.

I use my good old Sony HDTV for sound, which has never had a problem with DD sound before TiVo.

We need Tivo to get us a fix. Isn't that part of the reason we pay them. If we can use there product for all channel like it was envisioned to do so, isn't TiVo doing no better than the cable companies are with cable cards.

I just want a fix and I am sure if TiVo committed to finding one they could, but apparently they are not committed to it.
From my understanding is that this is not a Tivo problem but a cable co. problem, they are not sending the proper audio channels down the pipe, or they have the tivo thinking it has a certain channel and in fact it doesnt. We should first contact our cable co and see if they can help. Its suspicious it only does it on selective channels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cable company says not us. They say that if the channel's sound works with our DVR it should work with TiVo's.

I have to agree with them. If their DVR works why shouldn't TiVo's. Also, why can't Tivo program in a permenant audio setting for this?

Once again, TiVo has failed to address or fix the problem. We should stop letting them distract us with "its the cable company".

·
Registered
644 Posts
superbill said:
Cable company says not us. They say that if the channel's sound works with our DVR it should work with TiVo's.

I have to agree with them. If their DVR works why shouldn't TiVo's. Also, why can't Tivo program in a permenant audio setting for this?

Once again, TiVo has failed to address or fix the problem. We should stop letting them distract us with "its the cable company".
Well not to start a war and I dont know who's side to pick but, how can the tivo selectively decide to not have audio on a specific channel and all the others are just fine. i dont even see how that is possible, it has to be something with the cable company setting the flags incorrectly for the type of audio coming across that channel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do not think you are starting a war, it is just a matter of our perspectives.

I just find it interesting that you can change the audio setting with the TiVo to fix the problem, but only until you change the channel or a new show comes on. I am not a computer programmer, but I belive there is a way to edit the TiVo software to correct the problem by itself or at least allow a more permanent setting fix.

I just think that TiVo is in the best position to make the changes because it is their device that is not working; whereas the cable company's DVR works just fine.

·
Registered
644 Posts
superbill said:
I do not think you are starting a war, it is just a matter of our perspectives.

I just find it interesting that you can change the audio setting with the TiVo to fix the problem, but only until you change the channel or a new show comes on. I am not a computer programmer, but I belive there is a way to edit the TiVo software to correct the problem by itself or at least allow a more permanent setting fix.

I just think that TiVo is in the best position to make the changes because it is their device that is not working; whereas the cable company's DVR works just fine.
Ahh, well from what users on other threads have said is that the Tivo can record either AC3 or Mpeg2 audio, the tivo will always prefer to record AC3, but the problem we are having is that the channel is being sent in mpeg2 format audio with the ac3 bit flag set, so the tivo wants to record a non existant audio feed. The cable company needs to correct the information they are sending over the channel, but convincing them it is their problem will be a fite to the bitter end. But hey atleast you are getting some audio, I can not get any audio at all for ESPN HD and TNT HD.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
superbill said:
I also do not get sound on National Geographic (Knology) and a few other channels nearby. The only way to get the sound is to physically change the audio settings on the info screen. However, once you switch channels or a new show comes on it reverts back to no sound.

Therefore, I am unable to record anything on these channels. There must be fix out there, but no one has given it to any of us. Please do not say reboot or change the sound setting because we have already tried this and it does not fix the problem.

p.s. I do not have any pixelization. I have an S3 with the most current updates.

Someone please help us.
I've got the same problem with Knology. I have reported it to them, but they just want to replace cable cards. You can't explain to them that that is not the problem. I have also reported it to TiVo, but no luck!!

I'm ALMOST as upset about this as I am about them double-billing me for HD!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have the same problem with National Geographic channel on Charter cable.. I haven't gotten around to complaining to Charter, but given how clueless they seem to be, I don't know how much luck I'd have getting them to fix it.

What I don't understand is why the TiVo doesn't record all the available audio channels. That would fix the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
cr33p said:
Im in Ann Arbor MI with Comcast running a TivoHD with a Motorola M card. I can not get sound on ESPN HD or TNT HD, I can select the alternate audio and still do not recieve sound. I also went in to the settings and changed from Dolby Digital to the Dolby Digital to Pcm and still can not recieve any audio on these channels. Any ideas? Is this my cable CO fault or the cable cards?

Another weird thing is sometimes on my Discovery Theatre HD channel the audio is lagging behind the video feed. Thanks
I second the Comcast issue above -- I'm in Richmond, VA and don't get any audio on ESPN HD.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I've got the same problem with Knology. I have reported it to them, but they just want to replace cable cards. You can't explain to them that that is not the problem. I have also reported it to TiVo, but no luck!!

I'm ALMOST as upset about this as I am about them double-billing me for HD!!
I finally got in touch with some sort of manager here in Montgomery, and I forwarded to him my messages from TiVo about the audio problem, and they actually fixed them!! They fixed Nat Geo first, and then asked me to make sure it worked all weekend. It did, so I called him back, and he said they would get to work on the other two channels, and Voila, I now have audio on Nat Geo, Fox Soccer, and Speed! They all are working at last!!

Richard

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.