TiVo Community Forum banner
521 - 540 of 650 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Welp here I am again. Got a S3 that when fired up this morning did nothing except "Welcome! Powering on..." and stayed there. No clicking but hard drive doesn't make the WD spin up noise so took off cover and quite a few of the caps on the power supply are domed. Hopefully this list I just downloaded and am about to order will make short work of the issue (tomorrow getting TWC dvr temporarily for the wife). Thanks to you guys for all the hard work!

· Grumpy Old Man
314 Posts
I will not be doing any cap jobs in the next 6-12 months. I lost all my equipment in the worse flooding in the history of Louisiana. One month ago today it was in my house at 3:15 sat morning and we had to rescued by boat.
All my oscilloscopes soldering stations are a total loss. I just invested and bought a Tektronix TDS2024C 2200.bucks gone in a blink. I lost all but 2 of my personal tivo's. A fluke 279FC plus my other flukes 88 77 plus my few ESR / DCR Capacitor Tester Analyzer just gone. Now we have been turned down by FEMA no flood ins so i know i will not get any moneys for all my test equ it's going to be day by day. I will still be checking the board once a week or so. Guys i need some strong prayers.

Thanks and I will try to help anyone anyway i can.
Tim in Baton Rouge.... B&K Precision Part LCR Meter with ESR

· Registered
16,638 Posts
I will not be doing any cap jobs in the next 6-12 months. I lost all my equipment in the worse flooding in the history of Louisiana. One month ago today it was in my house at 3:15 sat morning and we had to rescued by boat.
All my oscilloscopes soldering stations are a total loss. I just invested and bought a Tektronix TDS2024C 2200.bucks gone in a blink. I lost all but 2 of my personal tivo's. A fluke 279FC plus my other flukes 88 77 plus my few ESR / DCR Capacitor Tester Analyzer just gone. Now we have been turned down by FEMA no flood ins so i know i will not get any moneys for all my test equ it's going to be day by day. I will still be checking the board once a week or so. Guys i need some strong prayers.

Thanks and I will try to help anyone anyway i can.
Tim in Baton Rouge.... B&K Precision Part LCR Meter with ESR
If you have a PayPal account, perhaps those for whom you've done work in the past could DM you to find out what it is and show some spendable appreciation.

· Registered
9 Posts
I did finally get the parts and repaired my original S3 OLED power supply which had bulging capacitors for the C401/C402 (2200uF 6.3V). Thought I would post the parts list here for anyone else looking to do this.

TiVo S3 OLED capacitor list:
3Y power supply: CP-1104 R2
TiVo PN: SPWR-00008-000 Rev A3

I went ahead and replaced 11 of the 15 capacitors to hopefully preemptively catch any of the other primary ones that might fail. The ones that I replaced fall into 3 main groups on the power supply board so that's how I've listed them starting with the ones that were bulging on mine.

C401 2200uF 6.3V Panasonic EEU-FR0J222 Digikey P14365-ND $0.81 (Alternate: P15308CT-ND?)
C402 2200uF 6.3V Panasonic EEU-FR0J222 Digikey P14365-ND $0.81 (Alternate: P15308CT-ND?)

C601 2200uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C222 Digikey P14402-ND $1.01
C701 2200uF 25V Panasonic EEU-FR1E222L Digikey P14428-ND $1.43
C501 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01
C502 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01
C504 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01

C503 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01
C603 470uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C471 Digikey P14394-ND $0.49 (Alternate: P15342CT-ND?)
C702 470uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C471 Digikey P14394-ND $0.49 (Alternate: P15342CT-ND?)
C403 1000uF 6.3V Panasonic EEU-FM0J102 Digikey P12340-ND $0.51

All are rated at [email protected] except for the last 3 which are [email protected] and [email protected] Cost was $9.59 in parts plus $0.48 tax and $4.91 S&H for a total of $14.98.

I actually ordered enough caps to repair my 2nd S3 OLED as well since it has a few bulging 3300uF caps so the S&H was for both sets although the way it was boxed and shipped, I'm not sure it would have been any cheaper for just 1 set of caps.

I hope this helps someone else who might have an S3 OLED with a bad caps!

Scott
My S3 was going into a bootloop when I opened the case and found domed capacitors. Ordered the parts from Scott's list and replaced these 11 caps. I have NO soldering experience but took it on as a challenge. What helped me was I found an old board with caps and other devices on it and tried to de-solder and solder them back on. This gave me the confidence when working on the Tivo PS.
When I ran the extended tests on the hard drive, it reported errors were found which it fixed. I do not know if these errors on the hard drive was due the power supply? The hard drive is about 5 yrs old and may be failing. I am thinking of removing it and creating a backup using winmfs to restore on a new WD drive.

Thanks to all you guys out there esp. Scott and Unitron for keeping this thread alive and helping me fix my S3.

· Registered
7,682 Posts
My S3 was going into a bootloop when I opened the case and found domed capacitors. Ordered the parts from Scott's list and replaced these 11 caps. I have NO soldering experience but took it on as a challenge. What helped me was I found an old board with caps and other devices on it and tried to de-solder and solder them back on. This gave me the confidence when working on the Tivo PS.
When I ran the extended tests on the hard drive, it reported errors were found which it fixed. I do not know if these errors on the hard drive was due the power supply? The hard drive is about 5 yrs old and may be failing. I am thinking of removing it and creating a backup using winmfs to restore on a new WD drive.

Thanks to all you guys out there esp. Scott and Unitron for keeping this thread alive and helping me fix my S3.
Glad it helped! If your drive reported errors and is 5 years old, I'd probably go ahead and pre-emptively replace it so you don't lose any recordings.

Scott

· Registered
16,638 Posts

Time to give that S3 a nice new 2TB drive.

You can use WinMFS to do the copy, but when it finishes and offers to expand tell it NO.

Then check the new drive with

mfsinfo

and see if everything looks okay, including a large Apple Free partition on the end of the drive.

Then you can expand with

mfsadd

· Registered
61 Posts
I just wanted to say thanks to the many people who contributed to this thread (especially with the information on replacement capacitors). Armed with this information, I was able to repair both power supplies on my TiVo HD units.

BTW - should the old capacitors be thrown in the garbage, or are they something that belongs in the electronics recycling?

· Registered
38 Posts

That really sucks, I would hate it if I lost all my test equipment. Went thru a fire in 2003 an most of it was smoke damaged, but still operable.

· Registered
38 Posts
I posted the below thread entitled "Does Anybody still own a series 2? I have strange problem. ", I have yet to pop my Tivo cover, but I suspect that perhaps bad caps MIGHT POSSIBLY (possibly NOT) be a problem in my case also.... what do you think?

I have a Tivo Series 2 (model TCD140060)..... yes it is still working after 15 years (but it was in a box prior to 2008), it has a lifetime contract on it. The hardware is original (never even thought of messing around with it on that level, other things to do). I am an electrical engineer BTW, but inexperienced with Linux, Tivo internals.

Now, in September, there was a firmware update due to the changing menu system. Everything seemed fine (except for loosing sci-fy as a search category). However, on Nov 1st at midnight, the Tivo began to record a scheduled program and froze about when it changed the channel. This was the beginning of several similar events since Nov 1st.

Every now and then, usually in the evenings between 8pm and 1am (but not always) it will freeze either when it starts to record a scheduled program, or more often as it finishes recording a program (and again, usually about the time it changes the channel). I have made no other changes to my video cabling system in a timeframe that would correlate with this error. (all recordings are recorded in basic quality to maximize record space on Tivo BTW).

This freezing event tends to occur once a day at a random time (but NEVER while viewing a program, ALWAYS either when it begins to record, or finishes a recording)..... sometimes it occurs a few times a day. My TiVo has 6 or 8 programs a day it records on average. I turned off its 'record TiVo suggestions' since this started happening BTW.

Given the symptoms, this does NOT seem to be a bad hard drive (otherwise, it should freeze at truly random times irreguardless of whether it is starting or stopping a recording session. It COULD be a bad sector that has developed in the firmware partition of the HD, or it COULD be weakening filters on its video input (but this is unlikely since I typically use my cable remote (never the TiVo remote) to change cable channels when the Tivo isn't recording.... its faster that way and I do this often and the Tivo never freezes when I change channels on the cable box). Another possibility is that the power supplys filters are getting weak or that if there are any electrolytic caps in the motherboard, that they are in need of replacement.

I am not sure if the Kickstart codes (like 52, 57, 58, 54 etc) still work with most recent firmware installed in Sept. I tried one or two, but cant tell if it is doing anything or not.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anybody could give me any insight into my issue.

BTW: I ALSO have a series I Tivo with a lifetime contract whose internal modem crashed on me in 2008 (cant contact Tivo service no matter what I try), but still use it to watch old movies I have stored on it from time to time.

· Registered
1 Posts
The PS board I have for my S3 is "TiVo P/N: SPWR-00008-000 RevA2", I found capacitor list for RevA3, but not for RevA2. Anyone happen to have it ? I am bit confused as to which exact parts to pick. Thanks for your help.

· Registered
7,682 Posts
The PS board I have for my S3 is "TiVo P/N: SPWR-00008-000 RevA2", I found capacitor list for RevA3, but not for RevA2. Anyone happen to have it ? I am bit confused as to which exact parts to pick. Thanks for your help.
This is the original S3 OLED? Interesting that you have an A2 as mine were A3 that were bought in December 2006 and January of 2007. You should compare the list I posted for my S3 OLED and see if the parts match yours for capacitance and voltage and the location numbers. There may not be any difference in the capacitor design between the A2 and A3 revisions.

Scott

· Registered
22 Posts
Word of warning... It appears that Tivo has used a power supply in the Series 3 units that has bad capacitors. My series 3 went down last week and being well out of warranty (I jumped on the Series 3 upgrade promotion) I opened the case. The first obvious issue was the Capxon (known bad capacitor vendor) brand capacitor bulging and starting to leak.

I wonder how many other Series 3 units are experiencing this problem.

It looks like they used quality capacitors on the motherboard, but went cheap on the power supply components.

I have ordered some Rubycon replacements, I'll post with the results when I get it repaired.
I just replaced my PS this week (and HD last week). Way cheaper than new Bolt w/LT guide or monthly fee.

· Registered
3 Posts
Logging in to say thanks to all who posted about the bad caps. Thought I would try to contribute my 2cents worth.

With the recent rain here in California my reception from Frontier (formerly Verizon) became pixilated. I assumed the problem was with the fiber. After a bunch of time with customer service a tech came out and spent about 3 hours diagnosing and replacing things. He replaced the fiber to coax-telephone box outside, no go. He said the signal was strong but had some out of band noise. Finally he substituted a Verizon box for my Tivo and it worked. He said that since the Verizon box worked something must be wrong with my Tivo, even though the signal still had high out of band noise. I was prepared for a big battle with Frontier.

After reading this thread I noticed that some posts hinted that bad caps could cause pixilation. So I decided to replace all mine and wha la, its fixed.

Some details:
Tivo Series 3 with Tivo name 'Tivo HD DVR', TCD652160, installed December 1, 2008, running 24/7 since.
Power supply CP-1319R2, SPWR-00011-000 RevB0

Symtoms:
1. Off the air worked perfectly, recording, playback, everything.
2. Cable programs recorded before the problem playedback perfectly. Huge pixelation live or recording. Signal quality using message & settings/Settings/Channels/Signal Strength are jumping around from 0 to ~50.
3. Measured voltages and looked at them with a 60mhz oscilloscope. Seemed normal except the 12V had a ~.5V spiky thing at 25khz and 5V was 4.9V.
4. Noticed a kind of hard disk drive noise, except that it was coming from the power supply, not the drive.
5. C503 & C403 had slight bulging.
Circuit component Electronic engineering Electrical wiring Electronic component Hardware programmer
Compare the lower left two to the others. These 1000uf caps measured 168 and ~430uf after I removed them. All other caps I could measure (below 1000uf, so couldn't measure 5) were within specs.

After fix.
1. Signal quality is around 40-50(in the yellow) but not jumping around. This used to be 70-80 so I think the signal coming in may still be off.
2. Picture is perfect.
3. No sound from power supply.
4. The 5V was still 4.9 so I adjusted a pot next to a 5V sense line to 4.99V. Don't know if I should have done this, or if it helped, any thoughts?

One last thing to point out is that most of the caps in this unit did not match lists posted in this thread #61.

One other last thing. Have you tried to watch regular off the air TV for a week without Tivo recently? yuck!

thanks again to all

· Registered
7,682 Posts
One last thing to point out is that most of the caps in this unit did not match lists posted in this thread #61.
That list is for the S3 OLED power supply and not the HD (and note that the HD had 2 different power supplies during it's run). There are lists here for the HD power supplies. I supplied one for the other HD model (not yours based on your numbers though).

Scott

· Registered
425 Posts
My TiVoHD TCD652160 with the AcBel power supply failed, and I got another one (clearly used) from a fleabay seller and am up/running again, but I don't expect it to last so I will probably repair the failed supply with new caps. But I have a question if anyone knows: when you order a supply from WeaKnees (which after exchange is $99+) do you get a brand-spanking new PSU? With different/better caps?

I should ask WK that question but maybe one of the experts here knows...?

· Registered
16,638 Posts
My TiVoHD TCD652160 with the AcBel power supply failed, and I got another one (clearly used) from a fleabay seller and am up/running again, but I don't expect it to last so I will probably repair the failed supply with new caps. But I have a question if anyone knows: when you order a supply from WeaKnees (which after exchange is $99+) do you get a brand-spanking new PSU? With different/better caps?

I should ask WK that question but maybe one of the experts here knows...?
At one time if you bought a power supply from them it had a good chance of being either a "pull" (a working supply taken out of a unit that had some other problem) or New Old Stock, which is a replacement supply built back at the same time as the ones that went into the TiVos being assembled at the factory, which meant they had an equal chance of having "bogus" caps as the ones that came in your TiVo.

But they've been taking bad supplies as trade-ins on the replacements they sell, so maybe by now they're down to having to sell the ones they've had to fix.

But you'd need to ask them to find out for sure (if you could get them to tell you).

· Registered
425 Posts
But you'd need to ask them to find out for sure (if you could get them to tell you).
Good stuff unitron, thanks. Yeah I tried to Chat with them to no response. The obvious way to find this out is to buy one of their PSUs and look at the PCB, as all three of the Series 3 circuit boards I have in my possession show clear signs of heat discoloration. I'll report-back here if I bite the $99 bullet with WK.

· Registered
2 Posts
I just wanted to say thanks.

I have a Tivo 3 TCD648250B that I bought used w/lifetime sub last Feb. 2016. I don't use it that much, just for the sub channels that DirecTV does not provide (8 total). About 3 weeks ago it started the boot loop problem. I came here to check and most said they were caused by bad HDs BUT, the series 3 had PS issues as well.

Popped the top and found 3 bulged caps on the PS. Ordered 2 sets of them (1 for spare), replaced them and now it's running again just fine.

Thanks to all.
Goob

· Registered
7,682 Posts
I just wanted to say thanks.

I have a Tivo 3 TCD648250B that I bought used w/lifetime sub last Feb. 2016. I don't use it that much, just for the sub channels that DirecTV does not provide (8 total). About 3 weeks ago it started the boot loop problem. I came here to check and most said they were caused by bad HDs BUT, the series 3 had PS issues as well.

Popped the top and found 3 bulged caps on the PS. Ordered 2 sets of them (1 for spare), replaced them and now it's running again just fine.
Glad that you were able to get it working!

Scott

521 - 540 of 650 Posts