TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
I really like the fact that my new Roamio has a Wall wart that can be replaced by a brand new one for around $7, from Tivo. :)
Hmmm, I wonder if there is a way to hack up the old S3 to use an external power supply (wall wart) instead of the internal one? That would solve the capacitor problem once and for all, and a lifetime S3 might truly live forever :)

Thanks folks for the parts lists, I just ordered a full set from DigiKey and will be replacing them sometime next week. I am also replacing my stock hard drive with a 2TB drive (that I just performed wdidle3 /d on a few hours ago).

· Registered
35 Posts
The wall-wart would have to be quite large and heavy, and would need to supply 3 or 4 different DC output voltages, or else you'd need circuitry inside to derive +5V, +3.3V (and on an original S3, +7.5V) from a high current +12V feed.

Might as well have it all inside the box.

The Roamios use less current than the S3 models (and probably only 12V and 5V), so a wall-wart is more feasible.
Good point. For this design it wouldn't be worth using such a complex wall wart with 4 voltages coming out of it.

I still haven't received my new capacitors, but I just changed the C701 part to a new 50V part a few minutes ago. All I have here right now are 50V parts, so most of them are too big to fit the small area available, but the C701 part fit perfectly. Happens to be that the C701 part is the only one that was bulging anyway. I will test it when I get home this afternoon.

My new hard drive worked well pre-expansion and after Tivo updated it to 11m, I took a backup of course. Then I expanded it and it now has 2776 hrs SD and 318 hrs HD. Seems to be working well (for 10 hours at least).

The one issue my Tivo seems to have, and I'm hoping it is related to bad power supplies due to bad caps, is that the IR remote doesn't work after the unit has been running for a while and presumably has gotten warm. I've had to use the front panel buttons (or the various Tivo remote apps on iPhone or Android) for most things recently. Has anyone else seen the remote stop being recognized due to bad capacitors?

Thanks all! :)

· Registered
35 Posts
Failing power supplies cause all sorts of strange symptoms, so maybe your remote problem is related, but I'd try new batteries in it as well.
Ha! I was about to go change the batteries and re-test it when I saw this post and had to answer it first :)

Edit: I just inserted new batteries and no dice. Series 3 still not "hearing" (really "seeing" since it's IR) the remote. The TV responds to the remote as usual (and it did even before I swapped in new batteries).

I sure hope I don't need a new front panel for the S3! (assuming the IR sensor is there somewhere)

· Registered
35 Posts
Now I have another annoying problem. The remote does not work, even with new batteries in it. But the iPhone and Android apps *also* don't work as a remote anymore. I can't figure out why. More than likely some odd network issue, but I haven't figured it out yet. My Tivo can communicate with the Tivo servers without a problem and I was able to setup a bunch of seasons passes and check my todo list from my Tivo login. Very odd. Any ideas?

· Registered
35 Posts
My Series 3 is stuck in the reboot cycle. The history of my unit is that almost exactly one year ago, I replaced a bulging capacitor (C701) on the power supply and upgraded the drive to a 2TB (WD Caviar Green), performed the WDIDLE3 /D on it and everything worked fine for a year. I just opened it up and noticed another bulging capacitor (C601) and perhaps also C401 and the capacitor next to it. I checked the 12V supply (yellow) and it is 12.5 [good], and the 5V supply (red) and it is 5.15 [good]. I posted this first part earlier on the WDIDLE thread, but I have more information now, and I found the correct thread for this discussion.

I'm guessing one of two things is happening here:
1. Either the power supply has deteriorated and can't supply enough current for the drive and/or chipset.
OR
2. Somehow WDIDLE3 reversed itself recently and I need to perform it again on the hard drive.

I removed the hard drive (and took it somewhere with desktop access) and created a boot disk with WDIDLE3 on it and lo and behold when I checked WDIDLE3 /R, it seems to have reverted to 62 minutes (3720). So I ran WDIDLE3 /D and checked it and it's back to disabled. Then I brought the drive back home, reassembled everything and it still suffers from the reboot loop. Then I checked the power supplies again and they seem okay, but I also checked the 3.3V supply (orange) and it seems a bit low at 3.05 - 3.1V. So for now I disassembled the power supply and will take it to the office tomorrow where I can replace the offending capacitors (I have all of them [I think] because I bought a full set last year from DigiKey).

Have any of y'all seen a low 3.3V supply cause the endless reboot cycle? At this point, I don't think it's the drive because, one, it's only a year old (WD Caviar Green), and two, I just disabled the park mode. And if anyone has any further ideas, please reply.

If I can't fix my series 3, I have to choose a different TiVo and will need advice about that too. Is everyone going Bolt nowadays? Any way to get TiVo to transfer over lifetime service rather than springing another 600 bucks for it? (because if it's 600 bucks, it ain't gonna happen)

Thanks in advance!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts