TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Grumpy Old Man
314 Posts
I'm sorry but this prices for a S3 power supply is just crazy. If you do not feel like you can replace the caps please send me a PM. I am in Baton Rouge, La. For just the shipping of the power supply and the caps from mouser "For all the caps it's about 10.00 bucks plus some shipping to get them here" I will replace your caps test it and send it back to you. I am not looking to get rich just help others out that can't do it themselves. If you think it worth 10 bucks great if not just make sure you pay the shipping back to you. The only thing I ask is please check your hard drive first. If it's good look at the caps on your power supply if they look like some of them have domed tops you have bad caps. If you have never had them replaced your going to have this problem. It's nothing TiVo did it was a line of junk caps that where used in everything. I have a radio telephone license, plus I am a ham radio oper. I have 2 weller soldering stations plus 2 Aoyue stations and a X-Tronic Model #5040-XTS Hot Air Rework Soldering Iron Station. So if you have a dead or dying power supply PM me. Thanks Tim.

· Grumpy Old Man
314 Posts
Update: I opted not to mess with the power supply any further because I discovered that if I hit the "Live TV" button after the video goes out and then change the channel, the video returns without having to force a reset.
Did you do the cap job? If so did you replace all the caps or just the pop topped caps? It sounds like you have a cap that is on the edge and your voltage is noisy. What series is this TiVo? If you pull the power and your back up it does sound like you have some low voltage on you power supply. I am wiling to help you if over the phone that's fine. Let me know if you would like some help but don't give up just yet.

· Grumpy Old Man
314 Posts
It looks like C501 is bulging. Other pictures in that auction also show it bulging.

True, but when was the last time you saw a re-capped power supply for sale other than on this forum?
I hate when that happens, As long as you take your time it's a very workable fix "Like you don't know that" lol. That is a strange problem it sounds like one of the caps is on the edge and making noise on one of the voltage lines. I hope he takes it out and looks it over one more time. I think he will find a cold solder joint or cancer on a cap. And yes there seems to be a lot of high price P/S on here. Have a great week buddy.

· Grumpy Old Man
314 Posts
It's worth the time to pull C120 "The large cap" and check for leaks. I have had 4 in the last 6 month that was bad. They don't dome but will vent from the bottom. I always check all the caps with a LCR bridge and not yet have found C220 C227 C306 bad yet, but if you won't to be sure replace them all. NEVER just replace a domed cap with out the rest. When one is bad it puts a strain on all the other caps and you will be back in to replace the rest later on. And as my friend unitron says make sure you know where both ends of that power cord is at all times...

· Grumpy Old Man
314 Posts
If you look at the board after you removed the caps there is print on the board the side that has lines on it the negative side. So if you remove one and can't remember how it goes back in just look for the lines and put the negative there. I have a picture posted with a part list on the page before this one. I take all the caps out first then test them "just for kicks" then I put the new ones in bend the legs down solder then cut the legs off then recheck for any cold solder joints. The more you do the easier it gets. :up:

· Grumpy Old Man
314 Posts
It's worth the time to pull C120 "The large cap" and check for leaks. I have had 4 in the last 6 month that was bad. They don't dome but will vent from the bottom. QUOTE]

Do you have a recommended replacement part number for that one?

Scott
I got a message from Mouser today that the part I use is going away "End of Life: Scheduled for obsolescence and will be discontinued by the manufacturer." But I did find a bunch more but not Panasonic.

· Grumpy Old Man
314 Posts
C701 is on back order so I used a replacement cap but has the same specs
Hope this helps..
Tim.
If your going to do more then 1 you might order double they charge the same rate shipping. It's like 6.99 USPS 2-3 day
The link I had posted I made a change to added more caps for my stock a few of the Panasonic caps or going by by.

· Grumpy Old Man
314 Posts
I made a order yesterday and found out that C701 is on back order till July so I found a replacement from them not a Panasonic but same specs. Just make sure you know where both side of the power cord is at all times. You can do it... If you run into any problems just hit me with a PM and I will see what I can do for you...

· Grumpy Old Man
314 Posts
I have a spare supply so I dropped out the new caps out and put the bad caps in. Looking on my o-scope and with 4 probes stuck on the board I got some good stuff in memory. The caps that filter the 12v lines was so rippled and it made the 5v line work over time. I set the voltage on 5.000 Vdc it would not boot "Humm" but the 7 volt and 5 volt was so stressed it ran up the 5 volt line to 5.700 volts. I replaced one cap at a time and got a boot but OMG talk about some trash in the DC lines 12V 7V 5V 3V was like a lighting strike on my scope. I have a 1Tb Seagate drive that I got from a user and I pulled the controller board off and you can see burn marks everywhere. So if you or having ANY problems with your S3 TCD648250B PLEASE open the unit up and look at the caps on the power supply if you see any of the tops that look domed or popping up don't wait any longer replace then it only 11 caps. If you don't fell like you can't do it post it and we can find someone to do it. I can do them but I'm not posting this to round up money. If you won't to keep you TiVo in tip top shape open it up clean out the dust clean the fan just remember heat is the killer. Make sure you have a good power strip and or a UPS on your TiVo.. Thanks for letting me rant. Tim in Baton Rouge....

· Grumpy Old Man
314 Posts
If you pull the large cap and check the bottom and if there is nothing leaking from it your ok. The large caps like that will vent from the bottom I have only replaced 4 out of over 100 done. If it's vented I have a mouser number replacement cap. If you can get your hands on a LCR bridge you can load test it but if no leaks I would not sweat it...
Tim :) That 470uf @ 16v is C603 you will need it.

· Grumpy Old Man
314 Posts
Hello, it has been quite a little while since I have posted here. I was watching a recorded program when it started to stutter & sput, then the TiVo re-booted. 1st "The Welcome screen" then the "only a little longer" -- then a repeat of the whole thing. I had been noticing a ripple through the "component" output. (I normally use HDMI) Out of the rack & open I saw the bad caps. With the help of this forum & Mouser I got the PS re-capped.
The problem remained the same. (I don't know what came 1st, the Chicken or the Egg. IE A bad HDD or the PS problem)
With Unitron's help, (I had seen that he had been on Mfslive's site & asked his advice) I found that WinMFS Build 9.3 would run under Win7. Back in 2008 I had created a backup image.
Along with up-sizing the TiVo with a Hatchi Chemastar I had also built an raid 5 disk array with them. When one of the array disks failed, I replaced ALL of the array's disks, leaving me with spares.
I was able restore my 2008 image to one of those spares and get the TiVo going. (The OS was at Ver9 & it has been a bit of a rebuild process that also required a "Clear & delete everything" as well) The OS is now gotten to11.0m-01-2-648. I am waiting for a new 2TB HDD & Two SATA to USB3 adapters so that I may do a copy-to for the additional upgrade.

It make you feel good to fix your own TiVo... Great Job...

· Grumpy Old Man
314 Posts
Its been a long time since I've posted but alas my TIVO HD has taken a turn for the worse and I want to repair it but I'm having a hard time figuring out what capacitors I need to replace. When I look around no power supplies look like the one I have.

Bigger yet the 3 green caps in the photo are slightly convex and I want to replace but I cant tell what parts I should order on Mouser as the picture on mouser looks completely different from what the tall green capacitors look like.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have never seen that supply all I can tell you is all the caps close to the heat sink needs to be replaced. I think I saw a couple 2200mfd @ 16v
100mfd @ 16v 100mfd @ 6.3 the two 2200 @ 16v looks bad. The few at the front hardly ever go bad there small and very low voltage. If you could get a few more Pics in sections I might be able to read the caps you need to order. Are I can login to mouser and put in a cart save it and send you the link.

· Grumpy Old Man
314 Posts
Thanks Tim! From what I could tell the(3) [email protected] appear to be convexing and 1 about to start leaking.

As far as the blue caps the [email protected] and [email protected] do you think those are starting to go bad? If so could you explain to me why. I am asking this from a learning perspective not critiquing your knowledge and experience.

Thank you!!!

It only looks like it's the 3 2200Mfd @ 16VDC that needs to be replaced.
Let me go put them in a cart at mouser and post the link to the cart.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts