TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· OTA is still alive
551 Posts
Sorry, but the 300+ posts, it's a little hard to read them all if this has been asked before as a fast skim didn't turn up anything.

For the 652 (not the 648 series 3) are there just two variations of the PS? That heftier 3Y version and the whimpy ACBell version, or are there more?
Also, can you tell which is in the box by the TSN?

· OTA is still alive
551 Posts
Basically there are two ways to remove solder. By suction using a hand 'solder sucker' or a vacuum pump solder station. The cheaper way is with "solder wick". I like using a solder sucker, but neither method usually removes all the residual solder unless you are really good or really lucky. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desoldering

· OTA is still alive
551 Posts
Handy piece of equipment. Don't skimp on cost, but no need to spend hundreds either. Easiest way is to look up models on Amazon and red the reviews. Be sure you get extra tips of various sizes & types. Also, don' forget solder wick and a solder sucker to remove the existing solder.

Make a number of practice soldering tests, first with two pieces of wire, then if you can find a old circuit board that is bad, experiment with that. ;)

· OTA is still alive
551 Posts
I would stay away from soldering "pencils". They have no temperature control. Temperatures can reach 900 plus degrees when sitting, then cool down possibly below 500 degrees when doing heavier work.
They are always 'on', there is no cycling on/off. :down:

· OTA is still alive
551 Posts
Read the value off each cap, replace one at a time. Just watch polarity. There are lists available, but there aren't that many and there are at least 2 different versions of the PS.
I would strongly suggest Mouser or DigiKey. Not e-bay. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts