TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
wait.. I did what?
14,887 Posts
ohh I see a game of "spot the potential link spammer" that might be happening right before my eyes! :D

·
wait.. I did what?
14,887 Posts
When I swapped Hard Drives I inspected the capacitors and noticed the C107 had a bulge on the top.

Could all of my problems be related to a bad power supply(capacitor)? Causing the tuners to not work correctly? Cause the reboot with my larger hard drive? (it's also physically bigger too, twice as high or thick)
Simply, "yes" bad caps can cause all sorts of weird issues.

Mine manifested with CableCARD and reboot issues.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,887 Posts
I'm leaning toward it being a PowerSupply issue, I ordered the 2200uF 25V 105C for the C107 capacitor -

is that all I have to replace? or are there others that it can be?

it is the only one that has a swelled top.
is it also the ONLY one of that manufacturer? (hint, look at the pattern of the lines on the top, each mfr uses their own style) If there are more from that mfr I'd replace all the larger ones of that grouping. bulging is the end of the road, they can be NG far before that.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,887 Posts
is it also the ONLY one of that manufacturer? (hint, look at the pattern of the lines on the top, each mfr uses their own style) If there are more from that mfr I'd replace all the larger ones of that grouping. bulging is the end of the road, they can be NG far before that.
Hey everyone. Dealing with an OLED S3 here that is in the "normal" reboot cycle - it goes all the way through the "Almost there..." screen, then just before the THX it reboots.

Popped the lid for the first time and (aside from a serious case of the dust bunnies) saw the 2200uF 25v cap was bulging, so I replaced it. All the others looked fine, but I know looks can be deceiving.

I've checked the output voltages on the yellow/red/gray/orange and everything looks right. Yellow holds steady at +12.12v, others at +5, +7, etc...

This led me to think the power supply might not be the problem. But after running all the kickstart tests, my HD also seems fine. Just to be sure I backed it up, imaged a new HD from that backup, then swapped in the new one... but the problem remains the same. Removed every cable from the back and all CableCards to rule out anything from those.

Anybody have any ideas of where to go from here? My multimeter unfortunately won't read uF - so I could just replace every cap (or source a new PS), but that feels slightly brute-force-ish. Would love to know what's up... this little guy has been a part of the family since before I met my wife, and she may love him as much as me! ;)
Yes, see above..

·
wait.. I did what?
14,887 Posts
Replaced bulging 1000uF capacitors in my TivoHD, but still no full boot.

It looks like my power supply voltages are coming in HIGH (about 2x) but I'm not sure I'm measuring correctly. Is there a common mistake I might be making that would cause my measure to be off, or is double voltage an indication of another problem beyond capacitance issues?
Replace ALL the commonly failing caps, not just the 1000uf before trying again.

Common cause of false readings? reading the wrong scale, grabbing the wrong ground point, etc.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,887 Posts
Thanks. No exp with solder.

Will just do without until I can find a cheap service.
Give a shout out to @timhbtr53 he's been known to offer the service to the TCF family.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,887 Posts
My Series 3 OLED has been stored away in a closet for years, just took a look at it and sure enough the plastic feet on it have also disintegrated. I wish someone sold replacements, because someday I might bring that box out of retirement and want it to look new.
There's a ton of super cheap almost identical replacements available via Amazon, that's what I got for mine, and they were rubber not plastic, so I hope they last longer.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,887 Posts
Just remembered that I used that boxes lifetime to get a deal for a Bolt's lifetime. Crap! I really liked that box too. Being able to see what it was recording via the OLED display, without having to turn on the TV, was great.
It may still be active, I know I have an OLED S3 and a Premiere that were used for upgraded and still have active lifetime.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,887 Posts
Just checked my account now and it's shown as an inactive device with the all-in-plan.
:(
I just checked, mine are still listed as active, only my S2 units are listed as inactive.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,887 Posts
My Tivo Series 3 HD TCD652160 went dead yesterday. There was a power outage and then dead after the power returned. Its on a UPS so it wouldn't have seen a surge, just a power loss and eventual return. It's absolutely dead so I assume its the power supply. I have one of the R03M30-00011 power supplies.

What can I measure to be sure its the power supply with my volt meter?

I'm thinking of buying one of the $20 capacitor testers at Amazon. Can I use those with the CAPS in place just testing the leads? Despite all the advice about replacing all of them, I/m only up for this if I can get away with one.

Frankly, I have no good reason to repair it. Its my second level backup. I use mythtv (my primary) and a Comcast DVR as well. But for nostalgia reasons, if its the PS and just a single CAP I would give it a shot. An added incentive is that the motherboard has the EPROM hardware hack that allows access into Linux and turns off encryption.

Strange, Ebay has several cheap power supplies for the Series 2 and 4, but not 3.

I also have some videos on the hard drive I would like to recover (I have a 2TB hd). If I don't get the hardware working is there software for getting it off the drive?
You don't need a capacitor tester, it's pretty obvious when they have failed by the bulging, and do them all, don't waste your efforts only doing 1 or two.
If you have basic soldering skills it's a 30 minute job and well worth doing.
If you've done the hack to the motherboard the cap replacement should be in your skill set.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,887 Posts
Well, many years ago when my box had an issue and I read about capacitors being the problem, I opened my Tivo and found only one bulging, so I only bought and replaced the one. Never had another issue again. Of course now it's been retired for years, replaced by several Tivo generations. But at this point I've never try to repair a Tivo that is that old, just not worth it and probably worth more in parting it out.
You definitely got lucky, that is not the norm.
That being said, if you have firends or family with soldering skills, it's just as easy to replace 10+ as it is to do 1 or 2, on a 1-10 soldering skills needed, this is a 2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts