TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
gun talk ignore list
4,401 Posts
Avaya (spin off of AT&T/Lucent) had most of their Map5 Intuity voice mail systems go down because of bad capacitors about 10 years ago. They spent millions replacing the mother boards, all because of a bad capacitor supplier. Amazingly enough, Avaya didn't proactively replace them. So hospitals, critical businesses and law enforcement were without a key part of the phone systems while Avaya got technicians out to repair the voice mail boxes. I think that is when many customers realized that their best interests were not being met by Avaya and went with a different vendor. That was only reinforced when the same boxes went down every 248 days due to a software bug that AVaya refused to address.

·
gun talk ignore list
4,401 Posts
I bought a used HD TiVo and when I first plugged it in it worked fine, but after 10 minutes or so it went completely dead, no lights, no output no fan. I figured 'bad power supply' so I opened it and found the capacitors looking fine. I plugged it back in and now it seems fine. It has been running for about an hour.
Anyone else have this happen? I can only think that maybe the power supply is on the edge of failing, and maybe me having the cover off is keeping the power supply cooler.

Update 5/30/2013 1042pm == still running with no problems. Very odd. I want to give this Tivo to my girlfriend, but don't want it to fail after I get it all installed. Guess I should just replace the caps just in case, or many just the whole power supply, as I have an extra. Course maybe its' caps' need replacing.

·
gun talk ignore list
4,401 Posts
Is this the correct thread for repairing a TiVo Series 3 HD DVR TCD-648250B
that has a clicking noise coming from the power supply and lines on the TV in time with the clicking. I looked at the capacitors and none are bulging or look like they are leaking.

·
gun talk ignore list
4,401 Posts
I have a Series 3 TiVo TCD648250B with power supply problems and it has the clicking noise. The clinking corresponds with a flashing line on the TV screen. I know it is the power supply as I have disconnected the hard drive and the clicking continues and it is coming from the power supply. None of the capacitors look bad, but I want to replace all of them that have ever been known to go bad.

I see the link to
https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManage...sID=E2B62EF780

Has anyone ordered that collection of capacitors lately and had them work and does that cover all the electrolytic capacitors that have failed? As cheap as the capacitors are, I am thinking I would possibly even consider replacing all the electrolytic ones in the power supply if you all think that would be a good idea.

·
gun talk ignore list
4,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
I believe a number of people have ordered from that project list (full link below) and it matches the list that I compiled when I repaired my S3 OLED although I ordered from Digikey.

Mouser project
https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManage...sID=1a42eea4c1

Scott

Thanks for pulling this list/project together. Just completed my order, and now anxiously wait for the capacitors to arrive.
I received that kit of capacitors, but they don't look like the ones on my power supply. I have the OLED Tivo. Did those OLED TiVos have different power supplies so needed different mouser projects?

My power supply looks like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Series...167?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4dd0546f

·
gun talk ignore list
4,401 Posts
Is that picture just similar to what you have or did you actually buy a supply from that seller?

'Cause I've got a 648 board right here in front of me and that cluster of 4 caps in front of the black heat sink and just to the right of those two coils doesn't look right.

Mostly because C601 is too short and C504 is too not even installed.

And then I saw this at the top of that ad:

Seller refurbished

...and a chill ran down my spine...
I didn't buy from the eBay seller. My power supply looks exactly the one pictured, except the largest capacitor has a aluminum color in the middle of the black color, rather than being all black. Course, that doesn't matter. The kit I got didn't have any large capacitors at all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Series...167?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4dd0546f

The S3 OLED only had one model power supply. This should be on your power supply somewhere.

3Y power supply CP-1104 R2
TiVo PN SPWR-00008-000 Rev A3

The sizes of some of the capacitors is different than the original but that's not important as long as the capacitors have the correct values and fit in the space on the power supply. For example, my notes show C601 was originally 30mm x 10mm x 5mm (lead spacing and roughly measured) but the replacement is 20mm x 12.5mm x 5mm (lead spacing).

Have you compared values and part numbers to my original list? I haven't actually looked at the Mouser project since it was created but I assume it hasn't changed (note that I didn't create that project).

Scott
Thanks for everyones' help.... I will take a look at the capacitors I received and see if they have the same values as the ones on the power supply. The kit didn't contain a large capacitor like seen in the middle, or some other capacitors according to size, so I assumed I ordered the wrong kit, and that may still be true, or they sent me the wrong parts. But understand that they don't have to be the exact same size, just the correct values.

I should have requested the my brother bring his 'scope over so I could check the different power lines when running, but it sounds like that if I do that I should disconnect the mother board and disk drive to avoid possible damage to them while troubleshooting.

Looking closer at the capacitors, I see now that the largest cap' on the power supply board is a 470uF 200 volts , but the one I received is 470uF 16volts, but very small.

None of the caps' are domed or otherwise looking like they are leaking. The symptoms was that the TV had flashes of lines on it with corresponding pops of sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts