TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The TiVo Series 2 has two inputs: Composite A/V (Input 1) and RF In

The Composit A/V (Input 1) is used to get video from a cable box. The RF in is used for signal from an antenna.

Normally, one or the other is used.

Is it possible to use both at the same time? If so, how do you setup the software in the TiVo so you can switch between the two?

· wait.. I did what?
15,512 Posts
The TiVo Series 2 has two inputs: Composite A/V (Input 1) and RF In

The Composit A/V (Input 1) is used to get video from a cable box. The RF in is used for signal from an antenna.

Normally, one or the other is used.

Is it possible to use both at the same time? If so, how do you setup the software in the TiVo so you can switch between the two?
You can't on a single tuner unit, you need one of the dual tuner units, and it will walk you through it
They are no longer considered active product lines.

· TiVoholic by the bay
14,932 Posts
I do not see how that is possible because you have to use a digital converter box for the antenna and the Tivo cannot control both.

· wait.. I did what?
15,512 Posts
I do not see how that is possible because you have to use a digital converter box for the antenna and the Tivo cannot control both.
There are a few combinations of 2 sources that can work on an OTA DT unit, but in general there's not much logic I can find to use an S2 since it's about 200% unsupported.

· wait.. I did what?
15,512 Posts
I have two S2's since the beginning of time. If it's not broke don't fix it.
You're running hardware long ago retired, it aint broke, but it's also not something I'd hook up to my 65" TV

· Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The installation diagram for the S2 says: "Connect the RF Coaxial cable coming out of the wall (from your antenna or cable) to the jack labeled RF In on the Recorder." There isn't any digital converter box involved.
So, the question is can you setup up the S2 to recognize both and switch the S2 from one input to the other. It doesn't have to be able to process both simultaneously. Only one tuner is needed. In fact, the S2 tuner only has to be on the antenna feed as the S2 does not actually tune on the cable side as the feed from that comes into the S2 via a Composite A/V cable.

· Registered
2,169 Posts
The installation diagram for the S2 says: "Connect the RF Coaxial cable coming out of the wall (from your antenna or cable) to the jack labeled RF In on the Recorder." There isn't any digital converter box involved.
So, the question is can you setup up the S2 to recognize both and switch the S2 from one input to the other. It doesn't have to be able to process both simultaneously. Only one tuner is needed. In fact, the S2 tuner only has to be on the antenna feed as the S2 does not actually tune on the cable side as the feed from that comes into the S2 via a Composite A/V cable.
The S2 is analog. If there are still analog signals (like channels 2, 3, 4, etc.) then it should work. But, most of the country is now digital (like channels 2.1, 3.1, 4.1, etc.) The S2 is not capable of decoding a digital signal. To Quote above:
And, if you do use a digital converter box, your TiVo needs to be able to change the channels on the converter box with an IR emitter and since ATSC 1.0 came out after the S2, there is no way for the S2 to decode the signal or send IR codes for the converter.

· TiVoholic by the bay
14,932 Posts
That was before, antenna signals were analog, now they are digital so you must use a digital converter box. Series 2 are made before there were any digital OTA signals. The cable box works the same way.

Today, Series 1, 2, 3, 4 are no longer Tivo supported.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts