TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a TiVo Roamio with a Lifetime subscription I bought in 2015. I'm getting an error screen from my cable company that says to contact them. I tried rebooting the TiVo and it goes through the reboot routine, and when it finishes, it shows me my TiVo menu screen for a split second, and then a quick flash of the cable channel that it is tuned to, but then it returns right back to the error screen. The remote control for the TiVo will not take me to the menu or allow me to change channels. I just hear that familiar kettle drum sound (bong, bong), and it won't move away from the error screen from my cable company. The TiVo won't even play shows that are recorded on the drive. It doesn't seem to function at all. Is it dead?
I had a similar problem on my Roamio Pro. I contacted weaknees.com and they told me it was the hard drive. They sold me a replacement 3Tb hard drive programmed for Tivo. Took 15 minutes to swap it out and everything works. I did lose my previously recorded shows and myseason passes. However, it recognizes my lifetime subscription.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The HOST and DATA IDs are from the Tivo, you need to be able to give them those.
As far as I know you need to be on the CC Tivo screens to see them.
Those #s don't change, do they? In other words, if I copy them down with the cable unplugged so I can access them, I should be able to give those #s to Cox after reconnecting the coax?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am having the same issue on a Premiere - and also on Cox in RI.

Disconnecting the coax coming in lets me use the Tivo.
According to the Cox tech guy who just left my house, Cox is trying to solve this problem that TiVo is currently having in Rhode Island. Shortly after midnight on the evening of Monday, June 27, 2022, both of my TiVo units (A TiVo Bolt and a TiVo Premiere) began displaying a white screen telling me to Please try to change the channel." After several unsuccessful attempts and reboots, I finally had Cox come to the house, but he was told by his managers at Cox not to touch anything while they try to figure out the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it possible that Cox switched from their coaxial network to fiber in your community? If so, a Tivo with a cablecard might not decode the internet protocol encrypted data from fiber. I'm on Comcast, and their cablecard was useless for tuning channels on their fiber system. I turned-in the cablecard. I also purchased a Roamio, and it's strictly OTA. Comcast did furnish a DVR capable, fiber-compatible box, which works OK, but it's proprietary to Comcast, and doesn't do single-frame advance or slo-mo, like the Tivo. Bottom line: Comcast disenfranchised Tivo, and there's nothing to be done about it. .

·
Registered
458 Posts
It's weird becasue the TiVo is still recording all my shows, but I can't watch them unless I remove the cable card, and I can't watch live TV with the cable card in or out. So, the cable card needs to be in place to tape the shows, and removed to watch them.
That sounds like a cable company issue.

From the screen I am seeing but just to be on the safe side I would download pytivo to your computer and back up all your recordings to a computer even if you are running te4 because it was mentioned you can roll it back to te3.

I will post the link to pytivo

Here is the link to pytivo.

Also if needed and you are running hydra search how to rollback a romio or mini running hydra.

But I still recomend calling cox cable

But first you need to see once you download pytivo and get it up and running to see if it connects to your romio and can transfer your recordings in.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Is it possible that Cox switched from their coaxial network to fiber in your community? If so, a Tivo with a cablecard might not decode the internet protocol encrypted data from fiber. I'm on Comcast, and their cablecard was useless for tuning channels on their fiber system. I turned-in the cablecard. I also purchased a Roamio, and it's strictly OTA. Comcast did furnish a DVR capable, fiber-compatible box, which works OK, but it's proprietary to Comcast, and doesn't do single-frame advance or slo-mo, like the Tivo. Bottom line: Comcast disenfranchised Tivo, and there's nothing to be done about it. .
Yes Comcast is doing the iptv only nonsense in my area too.

You can thank the cable cards no longer need to be supported without coming up with a good adapter or replacement nonsense for that.

And yes the x1 box is junk if you want to view those channels if you have xfinity a roku and the xfinity beta app will let you view those channels but compared to tivo it is slow and junky and you can't record from the roku xfinity app.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here it is, but the other TV with no TiVo is receiving the cable signal just fine.
I got the same message on 6/28/22 in the Providence, RI area. Cox Tech guy came to my house, but was unable to do anything. He said Cox has gotten a number of calls reporting this same problem in Rhode Island. He said that his bosses told him not to touch anything right now because Cox is in communication with TiVo, and they are trying to solve the problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
According to the Cox tech guy who just left my house, Cox is trying to solve this problem that TiVo is currently having in Rhode Island. Shortly after midnight on the evening of Monday, June 27, 2022, both of my TiVo units (A TiVo Bolt and a TiVo Premiere) began displaying a white screen telling me to Please try to change the channel." After several unsuccessful attempts and reboots, I finally had Cox come to the house, but he was told by his managers at Cox not to touch anything while they try to figure out the problem.
Are you in RI? Because I am in RI and that is exactly the date and time I started having this issue. I had paused Colbert on Monday night but it would not allow me to unpause. Instead, this white screen came up and has been there ever since until I unplugged the coax per suggestion in a prior post on this thread. Did Cox RI tell you not to touch anything? I was considering running to the Cox store to get a new card, but will hold off if you were told not to do anything. I am so glad we are discussing this! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are you in RI? Because I am in RI and that is exactly the date and time I started having this issue. I had paused Colbert on Monday night but it would not allow me to unpause. Instead, this white screen came up and has been there ever since until I unplugged the coax per suggestion in a prior post on this thread. Did Cox RI tell you not to touch anything? I was considering running to the Cox store to get a new card, but will hold off if you were told not to do anything. I am so glad we are discussing this! Thanks so much!
I just thought: if you have 2 Tivos and it happened on both, then the chances of it being a Tivo problem are slim.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just thought: if you have 2 Tivos and it happened on both, then the chances of it being a Tivo problem are slim.
@CranstonKS said he has both a premiere and a bolt and both were affected so it's definitely a Cox issue. And presumably the technician that went to his house would have tried to re-pair the cards already so it sounds like we are in a wait-and-see situation

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think the numbers do change when they try to re-pair the card.
They do change.

Unless you do a straight hard drive copy.

Definitely do not remove the cable card from the slot.

But again whether it becomes unpaired depends on the cable company.

I think cox communications still has an agreement with tivo for the use of their technology unlike Comcast. Which is still in dispute with tivo.

As for fiber optic lines Verizon fios is a fiber optic network and they work fine with tivo.

With no issues that I know of and they have an agreement with tivo I am considering for me switching my TV portion to them from Comcast because of the iptv only nonsense .

But fios has no on demand app for roku thanks to Comcast and I have 2 rokus which I got after the on demand app went away in 2019.

On my tivos.

I am in southeastern pa.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a TiVo Roamio with a Lifetime subscription I bought in 2015. I'm getting an error screen from my cable company that says to contact them. I tried rebooting the TiVo and it goes through the reboot routine, and when it finishes, it shows me my TiVo menu screen for a split second, and then a quick flash of the cable channel that it is tuned to, but then it returns right back to the error screen. The remote control for the TiVo will not take me to the menu or allow me to change channels. I just hear that familiar kettle drum sound (bong, bong), and it won't move away from the error screen from my cable company. The TiVo won't even play shows that are recorded on the drive. It doesn't seem to function at all. Is it dead?
Buy a new drive off Amazon the WD Purple they're meant for surveillance cameras storage so they are constantly are meant to record and delete. I had the same issue bought a drive for $60ish and now my tivo is faster also takes no knowledge at all to install takes a torx size 8 or 10 then take drive out of caddy and replace. Power back on and tivo will install the firmware for you. Also you'll lose your recordings as well as have to Call your cable provider and re pair your card to box

·
Registered
458 Posts
@CranstonKS said he has both a premiere and a bolt and both were affected
[/QUOTEPA.
Definitely and most likely a cox issue but it is still a good idea to replace the hard drives every couple of years in your tivo's including bolts.

But as another user mentioned the hard drives are becoming more of an issue with laptop and desktop sizes.

The western digital purple and red plus drives are okay in smaller sizes up to 3 and 4tb drives.

But if you go to more tbs it becomes more of an issue as they then run at 7200 rpms vs 5400 rpms.

And for romios and series 4 dvrs it is much more of an issue because you can't put a computer case fan directly on top to keep the hard drive cool with a bolt you can.

The Seagate iron wolf non pro version last I checked are fine up to 6tb.

But unless something has changed a Seagate barracuda green desktop drive may be the only option in a desktop size at an 8tb or bigger size.

For a series 4 or romio.

As it seems in desktop drives they are all slowly going to 7200 rpm drives which get really hot to the touch. Which makes a tivo go crazy.

Unless you can keep the hard drive cool with an extra fan on top.

Which is really difficult with a romio or series 4 or earlier tivo.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Definitely and most likely a cox issue but it is still a good idea to replace the hard drives every couple of years in your tivo's including bolts.

But as another user mentioned the hard drives are becoming more of an issue with laptop and desktop sizes.

The western digital purple and red plus drives are okay in smaller sizes up to 3 and 4tb drives.

But if you go to more tbs it becomes more of an issue as they then run at 7200 rpms vs 5400 rpms.

And for romios and series 4 dvrs it is much more of an issue because you can't put a computer case fan directly on top to keep the hard drive cool with a bolt you can.

The Seagate iron wolf non pro version last I checked are fine up to 6tb.

But unless something has changed a Seagate barracuda green desktop drive may be the only option in a desktop size at an 8tb or bigger size.

For a series 4 or romio.

As it seems in desktop drives they are all slowly going to 7200 rpm drives which get really hot to the touch. Which makes a tivo go crazy.

Unless you can keep the hard drive cool with an extra fan on top.

Which is really difficult with a romio or series 4 or earlier tivo.
My Premiere is on 12 years old with the original HD

·
Registered
458 Posts
Buy a new drive off Amazon the WD Purple they're meant for surveillance cameras storage so they are constantly are meant to record and delete. I had the same issue bought a drive for $60ish and now my tivo is faster also takes no knowledge at all to install takes a torx size 8 or 10 then take drive out of caddy and replace. Power back on and tivo will install the firmware for you. Also you'll lose your recordings as well as have to Call your cable provider and re pair your card to box
The purples are fine up to 4tbs but over 4tbs they are an issue as they are now 7200 rpm drives same with the red plus drives and pro drives now.

I heat tested them last year.

So unless you want to put a computer case fan on top of the drive to keep it cool to the touch and not so hot it burns your hand.

It is only good up to 4tbs.

And with a romio or older dvr it's not practical if you go over 4tbs.

But at up to 4tbs it's fine.

As I think red plus drives are still okay at 4tbs and under just make sure you heat test the drive before using in a tivo by plugging first into a computer via USB and see if the drive gets hot.

If it stays cool to the touch without burning you hand with no fan blowing air on it it is okay for a romio or older model.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,135 Posts
This is not the posters issue, Cox in RI has apparently messed up their CableCARD infrastructure.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My Premiere is on 12 years old with the original HD
I still have my original premier 500 gig drive but there is sector wear on it so it is just an imaging drive now.

But since I have a saved image on my computer I copied it over to a 500 gig laptop drive.

Which I only use for imaging for copies or expansions.

On romios that is not necessary as the software is built into the motherboard.

Making copies and expansions a lot easier the issue now is everything is going solid state and tivos do not like solid state or 7200 rpm drives.

With bolts you can put a bigger purple drive on it such as a 6 or 8tb drive as in those sizes the only choices with western digital now are 7200 rpm drives. And that's because with a bolt you can mount the drive externally and affix with book shelf brackets a computer case fan on top of it to keep the hard drive cool easily.

But with a romio it's not practical for most people to do that.

As for the original hard drives for romios and series 4s they were western digital green drives but they were discontinued in 2016.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, I'm in Cranston, RI. What city are you in? I asked the Cox repair guy if I should change the Cable Card, and he said no. He advised waiting while they try to figure out the problem. My TiVo Bolt has four tuners. I can get one channel to work on three of the tuners. I don't dare try to change the channel on those 3 tuners, because if I land on one of those white screens with the "Please try to change the channel" message, I might lose the three channels I've still got. But the fourth tuner is still stuck on that white screen with the "Please try to change the channel" message.
SIDE NOTE: the Cox tech guy said that I would still be able to use the INPUT button to switch to my DVD player or my ROKU stick and either stream or watch DVDs. We tried it, and it worked OK.

41 - 60 of 119 Posts