TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,653 Posts
Here it is, but the other TV with no TiVo is receiving the cable signal just fine.
This is not a Tivo error screen. Its from your CableCo. There is nothing you can do on the Tivo to resolve it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My friend is having this exact issue. Also with Cox cable and that same message on the screen. She can’t access the tivo menu and can’t watch live tv. I will suggest to her pulling the cable card and see if that allows her to watch recorded shows. She called Cox and they told her it’s a TiVo problem. She called TiVo and doesn’t sound like they support her unit (premiere perhaps) anymore. She tried rebooting approx 4 times but nothing changed.

For what it’s worth she’s in Rhode Island. Let me know if swapping out the cable card or TA helped.

What she said: “It started when I paused Colbert last night. It wouldn’t unpause. Then I couldn’t do anything, change tuner, home it, nothing. Then that screen showed up. Every time I unplug it, when it’s done restarting, I see a glimpse of the TiVo menu but then that screen comes full. No remote functions respond. Stuck on that screen”

Same Cox cable screen you’re getting.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
My friend is having this exact issue. Also with Cox cable and that same message on the screen. She can’t access the tivo menu and can’t watch live tv. I will suggest to her pulling the cable card and see if that allows her to watch recorded shows. She called Cox and they told her it’s a TiVo problem. She called TiVo and doesn’t sound like they support her unit (premiere perhaps) anymore. She tried rebooting approx 4 times but nothing changed.

For what it’s worth she’s in Rhode Island. Let me know if swapping out the cable card or TA helped.

What she said: “It started when I paused Colbert last night. It wouldn’t unpause. Then I couldn’t do anything, change tuner, home it, nothing. Then that screen showed up. Every time I unplug it, when it’s done restarting, I see a glimpse of the TiVo menu but then that screen comes full. No remote functions respond. Stuck on that screen”

Actually that is concerning. For the OP, possible the cable card or the tuning adapter (I guess you need a tuning adapter with Cox?) went bad. But if someone else having the same problem, sounds more like Cox may have done something that causes the card/adapter not to work with a Tivo. Or they have to do something different now to get it to work. Will be interesting to see what develops. Since two people, seems to be same problem, different model Tivos, sounds like something Cox did/is doing.

And yeah, removing card/adapter to test good idea. If get to menu, can watch shows and negotiate menus would indicate the Tivo itself is ok (probably).

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's weird becasue the TiVo is still recording all my shows, but I can't watch them unless I remove the cable card, and I can't watch live TV with the cable card in or out. So, the cable card needs to be in place to tape the shows, and removed to watch them.
Which Cox system are you on? I'm on Cox Hampton Roads and thankfully haven't seen that, but it reminds me of the behavior when there's an emergency alert like an EAS or Amber Alert. In those cases Cox forcibly switches user equipment to a special alert screen and sometimes on the tail-end will throw on a white screen graphic similar to what you posted. Until things time out you can't watch anything and you just have to wait it out. My bet would be on something being hung-up at the headend at your local Cox facility. I doubt it's the cablecard and definitely not the tuning adapter, but I guess you need to humor them.

·
Registered
81 Posts

I am having the same issue on a Premiere - and also on Cox in RI.

Disconnecting the coax coming in lets me use the Tivo.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's good to know, don't have to remove cable card, easy.
Hi! I am dwiller's friend that he posted about. I just disconnected the Coax and now the menu screen shows up. A show did record last night, despite that Cox (in RI) screen being up at the time it recorded. So, I can watch what is recorded. But still can't watch live tv with the coax not connected. Should I still try to swap out the cable card? My tuning adapter is only about a year old; it was replaced after I had an issue a year ago. So, that is fairly new. The Cox tech last night said I had to call Tivo because I couldn't access the menus he needed to try to pair the card again. So, he said until I got that resolved, he couldn't do anything. Now that I can access the menu, should I just try to pair it again first in case it just lost its pairing? I am so glad I am not the only one with this issue!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Which model is it? Is it the 4 tuner or 6 tuner model?

It sounds like its the hard drive (and maybe also the power brick on the 4 tuner models, in combination). You cannot get another Roamio from Tivo, it is now the Bolt or Edge. These use 2.5 inch laptop drives and can be more unreliable then the Roamio.

What you can do is to get a WD Red Plus (models end in EFRX, EFZX) and can replace the old drive. You don't need an image to be placed on there and can handle up to 3TB without the use of a computer, or 8TB (or more) with a computer and some program.
I would get another Romeo on eBay with a lifetime

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just thought of a stupid question: when they pair it, does the coax have to be connected? If it does, I won't be able to access my menu again.
I assume so because I think the signal is sent down the cable but my plan was to disconnect the coax, take photos of the screens with the pairing info, then reconnect the coax. Hopefully if the pairing works it'll unfreeze after it gets the signal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This sounds like your Tivo has passed control to the cable card, due to the communication issue, preventing decryption of a specific channel(s), possibly because it was removed from your ISP's line-up, without proper notification to Tivo's directory service. I have found that either the tivo remote clear or enter button returns control to the tivo box and you can then navigate to another channel. You could then remove that channel from your list of channels. For the cable card communication issue, you can try resetting your broadband equipment. In my case, I power-off my FiOS Fiber Optic "Terminal", which consolidates POTS, Cable TV and Internet into the fiber. I also turn off any routers that may need upstream updates, then after time for capacitors to discharge, I turn things back on from the FiOS terminal, down stream to routers. But there are settings, like DNS names, IPs, gateways, etc PROM-stored in the cable card for encryption keys that a cable tech would need to update, if they need updating - Mine have been working for 10+ years and needing updating means a lot of work for and lack of planning by the ISP, so unlikely.

Contrary to other answers, cable cards are electronics, and so can fail, but are very solid state, they don't wear out. It does not sound to me like yours has failed...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I assume so because I think the signal is sent down the cable but my plan was to disconnect the coax, take photos of the screens with the pairing info, then reconnect the coax. Hopefully if the pairing works it'll unfreeze after it gets the signal.
Properly, they should send a tech out to pair the card, while it is in the Tivo box and able to ping the server.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gotcha. But I thought they needed the card data on the Tivo screen after they paired it, not before. So, will you plug it back in, have them repair it, then unplug it to get the info they need?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Shouldn't they be able to pair the card over the phone? I have cable cards and issues with them have all been handled over the phone. Now getting someone at the cable company that knows the difference between a cable card and a cable box is a whole different issue and I first have to get passed the outsourced 1st level support.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,137 Posts
I don't know - It's been a while since I had to pair it so I could be mistaken and you could be right.
The HOST and DATA IDs are from the Tivo, you need to be able to give them those.
As far as I know you need to be on the CC Tivo screens to see them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I called Cox again and talked to someone on a higher technical tier. They told me to bring in the cable card and channel tuner and exchange them for new ones and then pair the new cable card. From what I've read, they can "decline in efficiency".
Some cable companies will let you re-pair a card, but Cox wants to replace cards. On my older TiVo with 2 cards, they included dire warnings not to remove the cards because they could not be used again if they were taken out of their sockets. On my Premiere with 1 card, I think they've relaxed a bit. But they still would prefer to replace their tuner equipment when something appears to be going wrong, which I think shows a lack of confidence in the equipment.

21 - 40 of 119 Posts