TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I use a Tivo Roamio and it has been 100% flawless over the past ~1 year or so. They recently introduced the new skip mode which is fantastic! However, I have seen a side-effect? When watching a recorded show, on occasion the entire show will freeze up and pause for 3-4 seconds, then it will continue.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks,

Justin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a new TIVO Roamio user since Xmas. Loved it for the first two months and then recently started having recorded shows freezing for several seconds and a more annoying problem with channel changes taking 10-15 seconds of black screen before showing the new channel. Tried changing video format and also restarting. I also notice that the skip feature to jump thru the commercials often hangs up for several seconds.

Any suggestions???

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
Perhaps some specifics can help the trouble be found. Model of TiVo, cable company or OTA, Guide selection or channel up/down, etc. and things I can't think of.

Whenever I get strange behavior, like having my 1P entries reordered, I use the help, restart, Clear Program Information and To Do List. This takes about an hour on a basic Roamio, but nothing is lost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did the help, restart first and the channel change delay improved significantly. Is the help, restart different from a simple power off, power on restart? I have not done the clear program info yet and may not need to.

Too soon to tell if the freezing problems have gone away.

I have a Roamio TCD846500 with a comcast cable card.

I feel like a jerk if help, restart was all i needed to do, but how is that different from unplugging, counting to 30, and plugging back in which i did do?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did the help, restart first and the channel change delay improved significantly. Is the help, restart different from a simple power off, power on restart? I have not done the clear program info yet and may not need to.

I feel like a jerk if help, restart was all i needed to do, but how is that different from unplugging, counting to 30, and plugging back in which i did do?

Thanks for the help.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts

Thanks for the help.
If you are going to do a power cycle, I suggest you place the TiVo into Standby mode. That stops the writing of data to the HDD. Also, a power cycle can be more effective as a restart doesn't reset all the chips. It's the same with any computer. A restart is ok for clearing some of the counters, but a reset is either a button (which the TiVo doesn't have) or a power cycle. Personal preference.

·
Official Tivo User
398 Posts
After the Skip Mode update I did see a sluggishness of going from My Shows to the show starting, and an overall slowness of the menu items. No Picture freezes. I had restarted the device by going to standby and unplugging, I don't think it helped any. I now tried using the Help Restart and a noticeable difference, I'd say back to normal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.