TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Same here - I opened up a Yahoo! account soley for my TiVo and never gotten any spam at all (and I've gotten refferals).

As a bit of advice, I agree with your initial statement "I spend way to(o) much time managing spam." You seem to spend a great deal of time thinking about it. I've learned the best way to deal with spam is to use a good provider that does most of the work for you (i.e. Yahoo!) and the occasional errant spam that doesn't make it into the bulk folder I simply report as spam and delete, to help others.

If you are spending more than 30-40 seconds a day "managing" spam, then perhaps you need to look at your mail provider. No matter who you use a spam or three a day will make it to your inbox, and clicking "delete" only takes a second. Spam is not as much of a problem for end users these days as it is for ISP's who have to deal with all the extra traffic they produce.

In any case, it is highly doubtful TiVo was the cause of your spam.

AC

·
Registered
231 Posts
davezatz said:
I second Yahoo! I pay the annual 20 bucks or so for the "premium" version and the spam filter is awesome compared to just about everything else I've used (Hotmail, Thunderbird, Earthlink's Webmail, Outlook)... At max two messages might make it through a day (compared to the hundred or so spam messages it catches). I still have to go through my spam folder to find the occasional email list message that gets caught, but overall I'm very pleased.
I just have Yahoo! basic (with 1GB storage), which has the same great spam filter. I do scan the bulk mail folder, but I really like how Yahoo! relies on people clicking "SPAM" to ensure it's not a mail truly intended for you, not just relying on heuristics.
Once a week or so, I will see that there is a new message, then when I try to read it enough people have clicked "SPAM" from the time it arrived and I was notified until I checked the mail that it has already been routed to bulk.

I agree, nothing else has been better for me. Spam has all but been eliminated from my online experience, without fancy software or other such effort. Again, as I said above, spammers are still an issue for the Internet at large, as the traffic created by their nonsense is hurtful (who the hell buys crap that way, anyway??!!), but it has all been eliminated from the user experience, at least at Yahoo.

AC

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.