TiVo Community Forum banner
121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Since these ghost recordings began I've been getting hinky behavior from my Tivo. Some crashes, hangs, not responding to the remote until it is hard (pull the power) rebooted.
My Edge does this sometimes. I press the remote and it does nothing. Lately I get "No Signal" )I used to get a very large right arrow) and have to turn it off and I get the "Starting Up" message.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree. Not only what caused it but what was done to make sure it doesn't happen again?
Since I used to write software, I'll make a stab at this.

It looked to me that the ghost programs were caused by ill formed guide entries. C-Span's listing contained odd programs with apparently empty titles. The TiVo software probably assumed the guide information would not contain such crazy mistakes. It was then making spurious matches to your OnePasses, "thinking" you wanted to record these empty titled programs.

The fix is for the TiVo software to do more error checking, so it ignores the ill formed entries (or maybe handles them in a smarter way).

·
Registered
12,924 Posts

It looked to me that the ghost programs were caused by ill formed guide entries. C-Span's listing contained odd programs with apparently empty titles. The TiVo software probably assumed the guide information would not contain such crazy mistakes. It was then making spurious matches to your OnePasses, "thinking" you wanted to record these empty titled programs.

The fix is for the TiVo software to do more error checking, so it ignores the ill formed entries (or maybe handles them in a smarter way).
Likely something similar but they probably fixed it in the guide data this time because otherwise they would have had to test, release, and push a software update to everyone, which they haven’t done.

I would suspect a future update contains a long-term fix.

·
Registered
184 Posts

If that's all there was to it, why did the MyShows entries for recorded ghost programs start out with the word "Manual?" That shouldn't happen when the original ToDo list entry had a double check. What you suggest may be part of the problem, but I think there has to be more to it than that.

·
Registered
293 Posts
After deleting all the ghosts from my todo list yesterday, just now I see 12 new entries: all six tuners set to CSPAN-2 on 7/9/22 at 7pm and again all six tuners on CSPAN-2 on 7/10 at 7am.
I got it, TiVo is trying to brainwash you. "Hey, if it recorded something 12 times, maybe I should just take a look...."
THE CONSPIRACY'S REAL, PEOPLE!!!:poop:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::D:D:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::D:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
If that's all there was to it, why did the MyShows entries for recorded ghost programs start out with the word "Manual?" That shouldn't happen when the original ToDo list entry had a double check. What you suggest may be part of the problem, but I think there has to be more to it than that.
It's possible that the information stored with the recording is ill formed since it's dependent on the information the TiVo got from the guide. If the recording doesn't have any title, it might be assumed to be a manual recording. But that's a lot of ifs. Generally, in software, once ill formed input gets past any initial error checking, it can cause various and sundry sorts of havoc. The focus towards fixing this is to improve the error checking. Then you have good data to work with (you probably ignore shows with no title), and the rest of the software runs as expected.

You might notice, while fixing this, that how you represent the "My Shows" list internally in the software could be improved, but that's likely a big project. The "My Shows" software works fine when given good data, so you just fix the error checking to be sure "My Shows" doesn't have recordings with bad data and you're good to go -- you stop creating recordings that show "Manual?" that way.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I am 100% sure it is not a TiVo employee pushing out a leftist agenda.

How do I know that? Because the idea is absurd.
My Cape has a point. Until he mentioned the actual content that was recorded, I didn't pay much attention to it. I was solely focused on the fact that, in my case, it was all C-SPAN channels. But he is right. The content was all left-leaning. That's a fact. No tin-foil hat accusations were necessary. I'll bet if it was Fox News that had been ghost recorded, there would be all kinds of accusations being made toward TiVo.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I hadn't checked recordings on my devices recently (I've been watching streams lately), and the infamous CSPAN recordings were on my Edge and both Bolts. They were NOT on my Premiere XL, though. When I went to delete them in rapid succession, it kept skipping over individual recordings, so I had to move the 'cursor' up and reselect the shows to delete them.

I hope they're right in saying they've fixed the glitch, though!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the same issue with my roaming pro. Started on July 4th. Have had ghost shows 4 times now, and also have it disconnected from the internet because on that same day it has also started to get stuck in a reboot loop when connected to the net. Very frustrating that the service has gone so rough lately.

121 - 132 of 132 Posts