TiVo Community Forum banner
81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
(Originally posted in another thread, but this thread seems to have more activity, so will move my discussion here.)

Same here, all phantom CSPAN-1 or CSPAN-2 recordings of odd, short lengths (as reported by @01jmac). Did the clear program info/todo list, initially OK but later that day the phantom recordings returned (just as @mike-d reported). I tried disabling the channels for those phantom recordings, and upon checking (today) the original recordings are gone, but replaced by a new set of recordings for the alternate CSPAN-1 and -2 channels. I'm disabling those right now to see what happens, but this is definitely a problem with, uh, something.
The exact same thing happened to me yesterday too! Same channels too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
(Originally posted in another thread, but this thread seems to have more activity, so will move my discussion here.)

Same here, all phantom CSPAN-1 or CSPAN-2 recordings of odd, short lengths (as reported by @01jmac). Did the clear program info/todo list, initially OK but later that day the phantom recordings returned (just as @mike-d reported). I tried disabling the channels for those phantom recordings, and upon checking (today) the original recordings are gone, but replaced by a new set of recordings for the alternate CSPAN-1 and -2 channels. I'm disabling those right now to see what happens, but this is definitely a problem with, uh, something.
I had this same problem yesterday on my Bolt and Edge boxes, but not my old Premiere boxes. What I found was that the programs recorded were some really "left-wing" stuff and I assumed that someone at Tivo was propogating theie ideology. I was pretty upset over this. I would delete them from the to-do list and a lot would re-appear, until I finally removed the channels from my list. If they are pushing their ideology, someone needs to be fired over this.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If I Remember Correctly, TiVo does record special events and short videos of things that show up in your recordings. The recordings are from random channels, but are actually related to either TiVo material, or are actually promos and such, like a 5 minute recap of some series you have that's about to start a new season. When the recording's done, it should show up in your recording list as what it really is.

TiVo used to do it a lot - they'd actually rent time on a channel to air their program, just so that your TiVo could record it.

It's been a while, but I've caught it doing just that with my TiVos over the years.

Also, do you have your TiVo recording suggested programs? Mine gets a bit wonky every so often and starts recording stuff I'd never watch.
What you've posted sounds very familiar from several years back. I recall seeing the red record light on at very early hours (3am or so) even though I had not programmed anything to record. Turned out, I believe that was how TiVo did its Channel Guide updates.
With regard to this ghost recording issue, I experienced the same problem. So, last night (7-4-2022) I removed (unchecked in channel list) all C-Span channels from the guide and then cancelled all C-Span scheduled recordings in my "To Do" list. Today, nothing strange has happened. No odd recordings are in my To Do list and no C-Span recordings overnight. So, so far so good. For what it's worth, we have three devices, two Bolts and one Premiere. Only the Bolts were impacted by this phenomenon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem. I noticed it is almost always the same channels. In my case, 2 CSPAN channels. I am on Spectrum and they are changing the protocols to obsolete Tivo (based on an article. I have not called yet). I everyone on Spectrum? If so could it be the new protocol? Most of the channels mentioned are low usages and in my case addressed with the tuning adapter. If Charter has already started conversion, that could explain it. Just a guess.

Also once Spectrum no longer supports Tivo, I no longer support Spectrum. TMobile is now 5G in my area, they lose an Internet and Cable customer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone heard from Tivo yet? I worked with a tivo chat lady last Friday for 1.5hrs. She couldn't figure it out, some tech is suppose to contact me but nothing yet. I imagine their probably pretty busy if this is happening to a lot of folks. (n)

·
Registered
18 Posts
After deleting all the ghosts from my todo list yesterday, just now I see 12 new entries: all six tuners set to CSPAN-2 on 7/9/22 at 7pm and again all six tuners on CSPAN-2 on 7/10 at 7am.
Edge + Spectrum
BTW this does not happen on my old Premiere.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Same problem here with a new Bolt Because it is preventing some of my requested recordings I removed all the CSPAN channels from the Channel list that seems to work so-far.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So far, in order to get this to stop, it looks like you have to delete the To-Do scheduled recordings AND you have to uncheck ALL C-SPAN channels in your channel line up. I did this two days ago and nothing has re-appeared through 7/16.

·
Registered
107 Posts
So far, in order to get this to stop, it looks like you have to delete the To-Do scheduled recordings AND you have to uncheck ALL C-SPAN channels in your channel line up. I did this two days ago and nothing has re-appeared through 7/16.
That might work for now. That's not a solution. This is the first time I've had it happen, and Tivo needs to fix this on their end. I'm not going to look for a work around on mine until this happens again.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
I had this same problem yesterday on my Bolt and Edge boxes, but not my old Premiere boxes. What I found was that the programs recorded were some really "left-wing" stuff and I assumed that someone at Tivo was propogating theie ideology. I was pretty upset over this. I would delete them from the to-do list and a lot would re-appear, until I finally removed the channels from my list. If they are pushing their ideology, someone needs to be fired over this.
Left-wing? It’s C-Span. They literally show video from congressional hearings with ZERO commentary. It’s nothing more than a record of what happened/was said.

Anyway, no, this is not a liberal conspiracy from Silicon Valley hippies who you need to get fired for pushing their agenda on you.

It’s a technical glitch.

You can put your tin foil hat away.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
I am having the same problem. I noticed it is almost always the same channels. In my case, 2 CSPAN channels. I am on Spectrum and they are changing the protocols to obsolete Tivo (based on an article. I have not called yet). I everyone on Spectrum? If so could it be the new protocol? Most of the channels mentioned are low usages and in my case addressed with the tuning adapter. If Charter has already started conversion, that could explain it. Just a guess.

Also once Spectrum no longer supports Tivo, I no longer support Spectrum. TMobile is now 5G in my area, they lose an Internet and Cable customer.
No, this is not the “new protocol”.

When/if that happens you will lose access to your channels. (And Spectrum will provide ample notice)

Nothing Spectrum can or will do on purpose or by accident can force your TiVo to record anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am on Spectrum and they are changing the protocols to obsolete Tivo (based on an article. I have not called yet). I everyone on Spectrum?
No, I'm on Verizon FIOS and from reading this thread, it sounds like people are having this problem regardless of the provider. I think the problem stems from the TiVo software not handling some odd guide entries correctly. The ones my TiVo wanted to record were shows without a title.

I was able to fix this by removing the C-Span channels that had the ghost programs from my channel list and moving a show to the top of my priority list in OnePasses. That particular show had episodes that were not going to record due to conflicts with the ghost programs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Left-wing? It’s C-Span. They literally show video from congressional hearings with ZERO commentary. It’s nothing more than a record of what happened/was said.

Anyway, no, this is not a liberal conspiracy from Silicon Valley hippies who you need to get fired for pushing their agenda on you.

It’s a technical glitch.

You can put your tin foil hat away.
1. You don't actually know what's going on with this problem do you? As in you don't work for Tivo, and haven't already fixed the problem right? You're just guessing correct?
2. When I watched what was recorded (which was the same thing as everyone else), it was a planned parenthood pro-abortion meeting. There was nothing "CAMPAIGN" about it that I saw. So it is definitely: left, it wasn't a congressional hearing, and it was several women giving speeches, (the opposite of "ZERO commentary").
3. Nobody called it a conspiracy. "Tin foil hats now", why the personal insult?

You threw out a really embellished, and trashy response because someone gave out their fair thoughts. There are several "regulars" on this site, that post a lot, and don't actually know much.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
1. You don't actually know what's going on with this problem do you? As in you don't work for Tivo, and haven't already fixed the problem right? You're just guessing correct?
I am 100% sure it is not a TiVo employee pushing out a leftist agenda.

How do I know that? Because the idea is absurd.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts