TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since I used to write software, my first thought is that wishes are being matched by mistake, but I don't have any wishes. My second thought is that OnePasses that match a show on any channel might be causing problems. That seems less likely, but who knows? If this keeps happening, I may change all mine to passes with specific channels.

What I've done so far:
  • removed those channels that are showing up with ghost shows and a few other C-Span channels that I noticed
  • moved a OnePass to the top since some episodes were not going to record due to conflicts with ghost shows
After I moved the OnePass, I went back to the ToDo list and found it looked a lot cleaner; only two ghost shows and they're both set not to record. I don't know if it will stay that way but that's where I am right now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am on Spectrum and they are changing the protocols to obsolete Tivo (based on an article. I have not called yet). I everyone on Spectrum?
No, I'm on Verizon FIOS and from reading this thread, it sounds like people are having this problem regardless of the provider. I think the problem stems from the TiVo software not handling some odd guide entries correctly. The ones my TiVo wanted to record were shows without a title.

I was able to fix this by removing the C-Span channels that had the ghost programs from my channel list and moving a show to the top of my priority list in OnePasses. That particular show had episodes that were not going to record due to conflicts with the ghost programs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree. Not only what caused it but what was done to make sure it doesn't happen again?
Since I used to write software, I'll make a stab at this.

It looked to me that the ghost programs were caused by ill formed guide entries. C-Span's listing contained odd programs with apparently empty titles. The TiVo software probably assumed the guide information would not contain such crazy mistakes. It was then making spurious matches to your OnePasses, "thinking" you wanted to record these empty titled programs.

The fix is for the TiVo software to do more error checking, so it ignores the ill formed entries (or maybe handles them in a smarter way).

·
Registered
12 Posts
If that's all there was to it, why did the MyShows entries for recorded ghost programs start out with the word "Manual?" That shouldn't happen when the original ToDo list entry had a double check. What you suggest may be part of the problem, but I think there has to be more to it than that.
It's possible that the information stored with the recording is ill formed since it's dependent on the information the TiVo got from the guide. If the recording doesn't have any title, it might be assumed to be a manual recording. But that's a lot of ifs. Generally, in software, once ill formed input gets past any initial error checking, it can cause various and sundry sorts of havoc. The focus towards fixing this is to improve the error checking. Then you have good data to work with (you probably ignore shows with no title), and the rest of the software runs as expected.

You might notice, while fixing this, that how you represent the "My Shows" list internally in the software could be improved, but that's likely a big project. The "My Shows" software works fine when given good data, so you just fix the error checking to be sure "My Shows" doesn't have recordings with bad data and you're good to go -- you stop creating recordings that show "Manual?" that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts