TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Vintage TiVo collector
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello TiVo community (I'm back after more than a year),

Recently I wanted to upgrade my parents' old Series 4 TiVo that originally had 1TB drive with an 2TB Seagate BarraCuda drive I had around.
I properly setup the drive (two times) using DVRBars with images I have gotten from the forums -- everything worked, no errors or anything like that.

When booting up the TiVo after the drive has been setup and going through the usual setup it seems to connect and read information from the internet, but when loading that information, it gets stuck at 99% for a bit and then shows me the "Error S02" shown in the picture below.

Output device Computer Personal computer Gadget Television

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

· Vintage TiVo collector
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would expect maybe there being a issue with the TiVo not liking the drive? I know this TiVo model would come with a WD Green drive so if I should, I could one and see if that fixes the issue.

· Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Hello TiVo community (I'm back after more than a year),

Recently I wanted to upgrade my parents' old Series 4 TiVo that originally had 1TB drive with an 2TB Seagate BarraCuda drive I had around.
I properly setup the drive (two times) using DVRBars with images I have gotten from the forums -- everything worked, no errors or anything like that.

When booting up the TiVo after the drive has been setup and going through the usual setup it seems to connect and read information from the internet, but when loading that information, it gets stuck at 99% for a bit and then shows me the "Error S02" shown in the picture below.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
I don't think I sent you any images previously, but my older 748 image was prone to S02 errors because it still had guide data from the previous setup. I recently got a newer image from another member that works much better, and just sent you the version for a 2TB drive.

· Vintage TiVo collector
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think I sent you any images previously, but my older 748 image was prone to S02 errors because it still had guide data from the previous setup. I recently got a newer image from another member that works much better, and just sent you the version for a 2TB drive.
Just got the message -- I will try the image you sent me whenever I have the time tonight.
Also, I got the original image I was using from the this post on the forum -- forgot to say that in the originally; maybe the images on there should be updated at some point.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have the exact same problem as the Discussion Starter. The drive that is in it now is a 320GB Western Digital Green (which would probably be fine to keep using), but I also have a 1.5 Seagate Barracuda or a 2.0 Seagate Barracuda that I could use. Could someone send me an image so I can try to get out of this loop? TCD746320 Premier

Thanks much!

Attachments

· Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I have the exact same problem as the Discussion Starter. The drive that is in it now is a 320GB Western Digital Green (which would probably be fine to keep using), but I also have a 1.5 Seagate Barracuda or a 2.0 Seagate Barracuda that I could use. Could someone send me an image so I can try to get out of this loop? TCD746320 Premier

Thanks much!
Sent.

· Registered
51 Posts
Just got the message -- I will try the image you sent me whenever I have the time tonight.
Also, I got the original image I was using from the this post on the forum -- forgot to say that in the originally; maybe the images on there should be updated at some point.
G
GGieseke, I'm having the same S02 problem. I did use the the previous image. If you'd send me the new images that will work for a 3 T WD Red drive, it would be most appreciated. You are the TIVO HERO to us all !!

· Registered
51 Posts
G

GGieseke, I'm having the same S02 problem. I did use the the previous image. If you'd send me the new images that will work for a 3 T WD Red drive, it would be most appreciated. You are the TIVO HERO to us all !!
I did get the images from GGieseke and the version numbers are the same as I had gotten a few years ago from him. I will try it but I'm pretty sure it's the same. The funny thing is when I put the original 500 G drive back in, it gave me the SO2. When I put in a 500 G drive that my son had laying around and put the 500G image on, that one works fine. That leads me to believe it's definitely software. If any other ideas, I'm all ears. Thanks so much.

· Registered
51 Posts
I have ordered another 3 TB WD Red Plus Nas HDD 5400 RPM 6 GB's, CMR 128 Cache. I have the latest image of TCD750500-20.7.4b.RC3-3TB.vhd (thanks ggieseke) and I have DvrBARS1007 (again thanks g). From what I understand, once drive arrives, I should plug it into the tool that has a USB plug, power it up and plug into laptop, then run DvrBARS1007 to format it (one question is the long version worth running or is the short version sufficient?). If I understand correctly, this should allow me to plug it into my Tivo Premier Series 4 TCD750500 and have it start up without S02 error. If any other advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much !!

· Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I have ordered another 3 TB WD Red Plus Nas HDD 5400 RPM 6 GB's, CMR 128 Cache. I have the latest image of TCD750500-20.7.4b.RC3-3TB.vhd (thanks ggieseke) and I have DvrBARS1007 (again thanks g). From what I understand, once drive arrives, I should plug it into the tool that has a USB plug, power it up and plug into laptop, then run DvrBARS1007 to format it (one question is the long version worth running or is the short version sufficient?). If I understand correctly, this should allow me to plug it into my Tivo Premier Series 4 TCD750500 and have it start up without S02 error. If any other advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much !!
The quick restore mode is fine. The only reason to do a full restore is to detect any bad sectors on the drive, but tools like WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostics are much better at testing a drive.

· Registered
51 Posts
I've been trying to kickstart but I can't get it to go into that mode. My understanding is to 1. Unplug unit, 2. Plug unit, 3. When yellow light comes on hold pause button for 2 seconds which should put it into kickstart mode at which time the yellow and blue light will toggle, 4. Then within 10 seconds put in Code.
A TiVo person suggested doing it from about 3 feet but I've tried all variations. Any more thoughts would be appreciated.
I was getting the same S02 error, but by booting up and using the Kickstart and doing the 76543210 command, it worked.

· Registered
51 Posts
With the 3 T WD RedPlus in my Premier 750500 and TCD750500-20.7.4b.RC3-3TB image, I first left it off the network for 3 days, then I ran 76543210 5 separate times, nothing but S02. I then did kickstart 52, 51, and 56. Got S02 in all cases. In other words, I did everything that I had heard might solve the S02 problem with no success. Does anyone have a Premier 750500 that they've recently added a 3 T drive that is working? If so, there might be some information on your system that could be helpful to those still having problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts