TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using an Edge as my primary Tivo and a Romio in the bedroom.

I decided to dust off my perfectly working older TiVo Premiere to use in my newly finished basement.

When I did use this Tivo it was originally in the living room directly wired to the router but now I want to use it in the basement but there isn't an available wired internet connection.

I saw on eBay I can overpay for a Tivo an0100 wireless n network adapter. Is there any other way I can get my Premier to wirelessly connect to my network?

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,310 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
2 tuner or 4 tuner Premiere? The 4 tuner would have MoCa and wouldn't need wireless. The 2 tuner does NOT have MoCa.

Note that the G wireless won't work that well at streaming from the other boxes.

·
TDL shepherd
17,390 Posts
Is there any other way I can get my Premier to wirelessly connect to my network?
I'd skip the TiVo-centric USB adapters and use a wireless bridge, to which the Premiere would connect via Ethernet, similar to this recent recommendation for a Mini setup (link);
edit:
2 tuner or 4 tuner Premiere? The 4 tuner would have MoCa and wouldn't need wireless. The 2 tuner does NOT have MoCa.
Good point, try the wireless bridge IF MoCA isn't an option.

Note that even if the Premiere doesn't have built-in MoCA, a standalone MoCA adapter could be used, similar to the wireless bridge suggestion, to make the MoCA connection over your coax on behalf of the Premiere. MoCA would be preferable to wireless, if possible.​

·
TDL shepherd
17,390 Posts
If it does not have lifetime Tivo service, than it no longer works and can no longer be activated.
In addition, as of a couple months ago, don't expect any support from TiVo on any issues you might have with your Premiere (h/t: @lhvetinari & @DLA)…
:
Further, as of Nov. 2021, Premieres are no longer available for "Live" support, regardless of service plan status. See:

Premiere (Series 4) and Older Devices End of Live Technical Support (tivo.com)

·
Ambassador to the City of Chicago
733 Posts
I'd skip the TiVo-centric USB adapters and use a wireless bridge, to which the Premiere would connect via Ethernet, similar to this recent recommendation for a Mini setup…

edit:

Good point, try the wireless bridge *IF* MoCA isn't an option.

Note that even if the Premiere doesn't have built-in MoCA, a standalone MoCA adapter could be used, similar to the wireless bridge suggestion, to make the MoCA connection over your coax on behalf of the Premiere. MoCA would be preferable to wireless, if possible.
In case it wasn't clear, if you have a coax jack downstairs (you must, unless you're just going to use the Premiere to watch stuff off other TiVos, in which case I'd say go with a Mini) you should first investigate either built-in MoCA (in the case of the Premiere 4/Elite/XL4) or use of an external adapter (I recommend use of TP-Link TMO-311C adapters if you may want to feed multiple devices, since it supports 2.0 speeds, but if it's just for a TiVo the dirt cheap Actiontec WCB3000N is fine, since the Premiere only supports 100Mb ethernet anyway the 1.1 speed isn't a limitation).

Wireless should generally be the last choice.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Note that the G wireless won't work that well at streaming from the other boxes.
Hi. Just bought a lifetime tivo premiere series 4 from ebay and forgot about needing it to be wirekess like my others. How might I do this? I just use antenna. Thanks!

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,310 Posts
Hi. Just bought a lifetime tivo premiere series 4 from ebay and forgot about needing it to be wirekess like my others. How might I do this? I just use antenna. Thanks!
There is the Tivo wireless G USB adapter, or use any wireless bridge which connects to the ethernet port, like the Tivo wireless N adapter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks so much! I have found one. I appreciate the help!

There is the Tivo wireless G USB adapter, or use any wireless bridge which connects to the ethernet port, like the Tivo wireless N adapter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts