TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's a Seagate Barracuda, and it had been in operation in a desktop system for a while so I'm fairly sure it's a good drive.
I didn't do anything to expand it, just used DVDbars to restore your disk image to it. Perhaps that's the problem?
I do have an ISO of MFSlive1.4 if there's something I need to do with that.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
It should work without the expansion, but will only use 320GB. You can use MFSTools 3.3 or jmfs to do the expansion (MFSLive 1.4 is too old).

The only thing I can think of is to zero the disk with WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostics or Seagate's SeaTools and try again. You might also want to download a fresh copy of the image to make sure that it didn't get corrupted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It should work without the expansion, but will only use 320GB. You can use MFSTools 3.3 or jmfs to do the expansion (MFSLive 1.4 is too old).

The only thing I can think of is to zero the disk with WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostics or Seagate's SeaTools and try again. You might also want to download a fresh copy of the image to make sure that it didn't get corrupted.
Thanks - I redownloaded the image and re-restored it and it worked! But I'm having trouble with the resize - mfstool (2.0) on my Ubuntu live says "Primary volume header corrupt",
the jmfs-rev104 live ISO I can boot from fails to find a valid Tivo disk, and
the MFSTools_3.3_devel_openSUSE_Leap_42.1_JeOS.x86_64-1.0.5-Build18.1 ISO image I can copy to a USB doesn't boot at all (tried 2 different machines).

Do I have the right versions of mfstool/jmfs? They should work with the Tivo disk on a USB-attached cradle (it worked for the image restore, but that was under Windows but on the same machine)?

Sorry this is getting so long and drawn-out. Your help is greatly appreciated!

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,222 Posts
The.ISO is a Bootable CD image that you must burn to a CD to be able to boot from it.
You need to use another file to be able to put to a USB device to boot from. (See MFSTools post around #137)

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
jmfs 1.04 should work since the drive is only 2TB, but you would probably have to crack open your computer and hook it up with a direct SATA connection. It doesn't work with most modern day USB connections because the Linux drivers are pretty old. MFSTools before version 3.2 won't work at all on Premieres.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Long time lurker... Original Premiere 4 showed the "loopback syndrome". Bought a working 500 Gig WD Green AVDS pull from ebay.
Copied to a 2TB (pull that was in a DirecTV HR20) Green WD EADS, using the "Ross Walker" method with a Premiere JMFS Linux Boot CD .ISO
Stupidly, I didn't test the ebay drive first. Merely copied, expended, and supersized , AFTER I had booted both drives in windows (I was researching the above method).
Even more stupid, I ran Windows Disk Management too see if the drives were working.
It wanted to change something and I said no.
Both newer drivers give me the same loopback. Please Help ! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Long time lurker... Original Premiere 4 showed the "loopback syndrome". Bought a working 500 Gig WD Green AVDS pull from ebay.
Copied to a 2TB (pull that was in a DirecTV HR20) Green WD EADS, using the "Ross Walker" method with a Premiere JMFS Linux Boot CD .ISO
Stupidly, I didn't test the ebay drive first. Merely copied, expended, and supersized , AFTER I had booted both drives in windows (I was researching the above method).
Even more stupid, I ran Windows Disk Management too see if the drives were working.
It wanted to change something and I said no.
Both newer drivers give me the same loopback. Please Help ! Thanks.
Image sent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a TCD758250 that just started the "Welcome! Starting up..." loop. Kickstart codes are being accepted but don't seem to do anything. What's the best approach to take to fix the unit and recover it's recordings. I have experience with mfstools and winmfs on older Tivo's; S1, S2 and HD.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts