TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TiVo Premiere TCD746320 that I've had in use for several years and for which I purchased Lifetime service. I'd like to keep it alive if possible.

A couple months ago, it died and after rebooting it was stuck on the "Welcome… Starting Up" screen. It would reboot and then go back to that screen. After each of the steps below, the problem persisted. I'm trying to figure out what to do next…
  • Removed M-Card
  • Removed 320GB hard drive and replaced with 4TB WD Red that I imaged with DVRbars and a clean image that I got from a kind person on this forum
  • Replaced Power Supply with part from Weaknees
I feel like I've done all the steps that I could reasonably try. I assume that my lifetime service is tied to the logic board and I can't make any other repairs to this device. Anything that I'm missing or should try next?

·
Premium Member
6,304 Posts
Try the image again on a drive that's 2TB or smaller. My 746 image is too old to boot on a drive over 2TB.

Once it boots up, connects to TiVo, and updates to the latest software you can copy the smaller drive to the 4TB drive with MFSTools 3.2.

·
TiVoOnThEmInD
372 Posts
Thank you member ggieseke you are a big help and I'm going to make it a point to donate to help you keep the dropbox account going. Can you give me a link and or point me in the right direction to donate?

·
Premium Member
6,304 Posts
Do you know of any reason why the initial boot up of the Tivo would work OK after restoring your image to a new 2TB disk, but then it would hang after doing a system SW update?
It shouldn't do a software update. Most of my Premiere images are ancient but the 746 image I sent you is already running 20.7.4.RC42. What kind of drive is it, did you test it thoroughly before using it, and what software did you use to expand it from 320GB to 2TB?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts