TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· It'll be fine....
4,160 Posts
I would give this a 9 since it would relieve the issue with the copy protection. The boxes should be capable of it, so this should be a high priority.
My assumption is that something like that would only be supported S4 to S4 (S5 to S5) - this whole forum would go balistic, just not worth it!

Now, I wouldn't mind seeing an un-subbed appliance that we could stream to.

I would also like to see TiVo support an air video type app for the iPad.

· Registered
27,103 Posts
I'm just curious but on a scale from one to ten. One being not important at all to ten being the most important feature you could ask for, how useful would streaming be from one TiVo Premiere box to another?

Just this week, I wanted to transition from watching the Oscars in the living room to the bedroom. Had to explain to the GF how this was not technologically possible with the Tivo until all 3 hours of it had finished recording. The GF was not pleased. Feels like 1990's tech.

· Registered
9,045 Posts
Currently 0 for me. I have multiple TiVos and multiple TVs, but with FiOS I am copy freely so I can transfer anything I want.

If streaming ever becomes necessary for me, I would be looking at other options to replace my current setup and would most likely go with Media Center. I already have extenders in the form of 360s, and I would be able to have as many tuners as I can afford.

· Registered
12,357 Posts
I use MRV a LOT and no CCI issues. However managing copies of shows (trying to remember what was watched and then having to go to unit to delete them) on more than 1 unit gets old in a hurry. Streaming would get rid of that issue and of course get around the CCI copy protection issue that affects many. That coupled with remote delete capability would be really, really nice and would also present the motivation for people with multiple units holding back on Premiere upgrades to do so.

Then there's cooperative scheduling too which would be the ultimate, but that would be a lot tougher to implement for TiVo. ReplayTV had a partial implementation of cooperative scheduling which would be a good start for TiVo to imitate.

· FUBAR
4,983 Posts

Just this week, I wanted to transition from watching the Oscars in the living room to the bedroom. Had to explain to the GF how this was not technologically possible with the Tivo until all 3 hours of it had finished recording. The GF was not pleased. Feels like 1990's tech.
10, for exactly this reason. Not impacted by copy protection here but having to wait until some long sports event (or whatever) is done recording before watching it somewhere else in the house is lame.

· UHD Addict
23,291 Posts
zero since I can already transfer any recording I make on FiOS to any of my other TiVos or PC.

although I do see this as an important feature since most cable systems have restrictions on transfers.

· Registered
3,096 Posts
Zero for me as well. I am ota only and slingbox does all the streaming needed.

· Cuckoo for TiVo
1,518 Posts
FWIW, I wouldn't count on FIOS being unprotected forever - just ask the folks that had their FIOS gobbled up by Frontier. Also, let's not even start talking about a pure IPTV implementation which would screw everone.

I also have FIOS, but would welcome a streaming solution, so

· yes, I AM orangeboy!
4,117 Posts
...Also, let's not even start talking about a pure IPTV implementation which would screw everone...
Now wait - why is that again? :confused:

Premiere chip (Broadcom BCM7413) features:
The BCM7413 is a multi-format IPTV SoC that is optimized to support SD and ED output resolutions, HDMIv.1.3/HDCP1.2 (up to 480p/576p) and video DAC support for S-video and composite video.
I honestly know nothing about IPTV, but it seems the Premiere hardware would support it. At least the processor would. Is it a tuner/decoder thing?

· Veteran TiVo User
2,813 Posts
I'm just curious but on a scale from one to ten. One being not important at all to ten being the most important feature you could ask for, how useful would streaming be from one TiVo Premiere box to another?
If by "another box" you mean a non-TiVo box, I think it is very important (and that could include your Android phone, ipad, laptop, Roku, game console, etc). Most people are simply not going to buy another TiVo and pay for expensive service just so they can watch some program they already recorded in a different room.

I live alone, and have only one big TV & surround system in the living room and a small TV in a spare room. So streaming from the TiVo to another device is not terribly important to me. But I do know it would be nice, and it is something important to other people. But it is far down the list of many important things that TiVo needs to work on. I think their priorities should be (in order):

* Address and fix any and all stability issues
* Address performance and usability issues with proper reprogramming/design of the HDUI
* Add a method to backup (and restore) all settings to removable media and/or the "cloud"
* Update sub-components like Netflix
* Thread the sucker and use the other core
* Convert more (many) SD menus to HD
* Add new features, such as streaming to and from DLNA

As you can see, I place it on the bottom of the priority list. Still very important, just not at this exact moment.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.