TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Tivo service since February of 2004. However, when I finally got an HDTV, I couldn't afford to get an HD Tivo. When I got the money to do it, there were rumblings of the Tivo Premiere coming out soon. So I held off. The Premiere went on to have a lot of problems. I think it would make a decent box. However, since I haven't been able to view HD programming on my current Series 2 box, I've just been using my HD cable box instead. It too is a "decent box".

In my mind, it's not worth the upgrade price to go from "decent" to "decent". I haven't used my series 2 in over a year now. I had been keeping it activated in order to be able to get the loyalty discount on a future box when I finally get one. However, lately I've been thinking about just cancelling and saving my $17 a month that I pay.

Last week my friend called to cancel his service (Because our cable company is going all digital, and he has been using the analog channels on his series 2 box in order to avoid using the IR brackets on his cable box). He decided to switch to an HD cable box, so he was going to deactivate his service. When he called, they gave him some free time to try out the cable box and see if that's really what he wanted to do.

Fast forward to today when he called back in (I assume to cancel his service). He was told that they currently had a deal running where you could upgrade to a Premiere for no upfront cost and only $19.99 a month for two years. He said they told him that there was a weird rule where they could only offer the deal to a person one time.

Has anyone else heard of this deal? Know any details about it? When does it end? How do you go about getting the offer? I assumed it's only offered to people that are canceling, but I didn't want to call to cancel and them not even bring it up.

If I can get a $2 price increase on my monthly deal and get an HD capable box out of it, that's worthwhile to me. If not, I'll probably end up canceling very soon. So I was curious if anyone else had gotten this offer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just thought I would follow up on this. I called in today to the cancellation line to see what deals they would offer me. First they offered me the typical 20% off deal on a new premiere. Following that, though they did offer me this option. $19.99 for 2 years, no upfront cost. You just pay your first month and you are on your way.

Mind you, it's not a "great deal", since it still comes out to be about the same cost. It's like $7.04 a month for 24 months for the box, and then the $12.95 a month for the service itself.

The guy I spoke with said that the option was there for testing out the idea. Basically they only offer it to customers that have been with them for a long time. If it works out well, they will probably roll it out to the general public. But he also said he didn't know how long they would be offering it. They apparently started this a few days ago.

After the 2 years, you own the box, and your service will automatically revert to the standard billing rate. For whatever reason, I apparently needed to call to get my rates lowered last time my deal ran out, so I was paying $16.95 a month. So it's good that it will automatically lower at the end.

For me, this is a good deal. $3 extra a month is solid. Obviously the Premiere has issues, but hopefully they will get worked out in time.

Here is my confirmation email in case anyone is interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
that's certainly a good deal- bear in mind if you are a current subscriber you can get a tivo premiere for 299(box)+200(lifetime)=500. 19x24=456 so a little after 2 years buying it now with lifetime is cheaper. But then $19 a month is easier to stomach than 500 up front.

I thik that is an excellent thing for tivo to be doing. I would wish they would either sell them for $500 upfront or $19 per month- that would be better than their current setup of buy the box and pay fees...

·
Registered
70 Posts
that's certainly a good deal- bear in mind if you are a current subscriber you can get a tivo premiere for 299(box)+200(lifetime)=500. 19x24=456 so a little after 2 years buying it now with lifetime is cheaper. But then $19 a month is easier to stomach than 500 up front.

I thik that is an excellent thing for tivo to be doing. I would wish they would either sell them for $500 upfront or $19 per month- that would be better than their current setup of buy the box and pay fees...
Its $19.99 so its about $20x24=$480 only $20 more and would have lifetime. If you can find any way to shell out the cash now its a better deal for the lifetime... I think monthly subscribers were offered $240 for the box + $300 for lifetime so it might be $540 and not $500, $60 more is still worth it in my opinion.

I've had my Series 2 for over 6 years with lifetime and just upgraded to an HD for $99 at blockbuster :) Now I still have the use of the series 2 for my 4 year old son. I convinced my parents to jump on the blockbuster deal and upgrade their series 2 that was monthly at $7 a month, even at that price it still would have been worth it to get lifetime on it; They put lifetime on the new box.
just my $.02

·
imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox
4,570 Posts
Guy is calling to cancel which means he doesn't have lifetime on his Series 2 and so can't get the Premiere for $300 + $200 lifetime afaik.

For monthly subscribers its $300 lifetime or discount on the box if I remember right.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Guy is calling to cancel which means he doesn't have lifetime on his Series 2 and so can't get the Premiere for $300 + $200 lifetime afaik.

For monthly subscribers its $300 lifetime or discount on the box if I remember right.
correct.

for non-XL premiere w/ lifetime:
lifetime upgrade option is 299+199 lifetime
monthly upgrade option is 239+399 lifetime
MSD option is 299+299 lifetime

moral of the story:
If you're on monthly and want a Premiere w/ Lifetime, use the MSD option.
The upgrade option costs you more.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I actually think this is a great deal. For only $7 a month for 24 months you're getting a $300 Tivo. Granted you could get it for $240 with the upgrade but $7 a month for 24 months is only $168 plus it's paid monthly over 24 months instead of upfront.

On a side note, I never understood why you guys all love lifetime. I have 2 Tivo HDs (both on monthly) for about 16 months now. Previously I had DirecTivos. While I could have afforded to shell out $700 for lifetime on top of the money I just spent on the Tivos themselves, it would have been very uncomfortable and probably a deal breaker. Paying $23 a month is much easier. Plus I probably won't have my Tivos for much more than 3 years. Electronics depreciate really quickly and new stuff is always coming out.

I really hope Tivo goes this route with new customers. Much easier to get a new typical cable customer with $19.99 a month for 2 years rather than trying to push the lifetime thing which costs $700 for the box plus service.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I actually think this is a great deal. For only $7 a month for 24 months you're getting a $300 Tivo. Granted you could get it for $240 with the upgrade but $7 a month for 24 months is only $168 plus it's paid monthly over 24 months instead of upfront.

On a side note, I never understood why you guys all love lifetime. I have 2 Tivo HDs (both on monthly) for about 16 months now. Previously I had DirecTivos. While I could have afforded to shell out $700 for lifetime on top of the money I just spent on the Tivos themselves, it would have been very uncomfortable and probably a deal breaker. Paying $23 a month is much easier. Plus I probably won't have my Tivos for much more than 3 years. Electronics depreciate really quickly and new stuff is always coming out.

I really hope Tivo goes this route with new customers. Much easier to get a new typical cable customer with $19.99 a month for 2 years rather than trying to push the lifetime thing which costs $700 for the box plus service.
Lifetime dramatically boosts resale value on TiVos.
S3 w/ Lifetime + OTA would give me a solid extra pair of tuners for a Premiere... and possibly act as a mediocre extender for at least some cable programming.
(But alas, there was no Lifetime when I bought my S3.)

·
TiVo/MCE/PSP
730 Posts
Lifetime dramatically boosts resale value on TiVos.
S3 w/ Lifetime + OTA would give me a solid extra pair of tuners for a Premiere... and possibly act as a mediocre extender for at least some cable programming.
(But alas, there was no Lifetime when I bought my S3.)
Like you - LT was not offered when I bought my S2DT TiVo (paid $399 for the 3yr pre-pay). Now that the contract period is almost over I purchased a TiVo S3 from Amazon and transfered the balance of the S2 contract. I had to call TiVo to confirm that the transfer was done properly and the rep offered me the LT for $99. Good thing I called, I was thinking of just doing the upgrade to LT on line @ $299. Needless to say I am happy - just worked out that it was better to speak to a person. Now all my TiVos are LTs.

·
Registered
26,309 Posts
On a side note, I never understood why you guys all love lifetime.
As well as the resale value others have said, I like the *option* of paying once and not having to pay monthly.

I would probably pay the *equivalent* of the monthly rate and upgrade (e.g. some kind of lifetime transfer for a fee option again) if there were something I found compelling to upgrade. That is, I'd get "lifetime" and lets say in 2 years a better Tivo came out, and the amortized service fee ended up being whatever the regular rate was.. I'd be fine with that, because I'd have the option of NOT upgrading.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Why not look for a used Tivo HD with Lifetime service on ebay ~$400. That works out to $8.33 per month for 2 years.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a S3 with expanded interal HDD. I love it, but while moving it one day, I think I damaged the HDMI port and now I have to use the RGB outputs. Now I am adding a family room and I am setting up a great home theater. I wanted to get a Premiere so I could use the HDMI connection. I called Tivo and they said I have been a great member since 1999. However the best offer they would give me is the $19/month for two years or the same deal that was online. I complained for some time. I told them that Fios was releasing a new Cisco box that would allow me to drop my Tivo. He then told me that he would let me purchase the Premiere for $399 and get a lifetime sub for $99. All they did was add $100 to the cost of the unit and remove $100 from the sub cost. I told him that was ridiculous and he said, "I know, I am even embarrassed to offer it to you." I told him that all good things come to an end. I figured they would still offer me something better, however, he let me hang up. I then pounded them in the post call survey.

I can't believe they wouldn't offer such a longtime customer a better deal!!!
:down:

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Anyone know if you MUST buy the Premier from tivo to get the 199 lifetime upgrade offer?

IE can I buy the premier online somewhere other than tivo and then still activate it with lifetime for $199 on my account? (I have lifetime on 2 boxes now)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.