TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the potentially dumb question, but since I finally got my TiVo Premiere stable, I don't want to "break" it again.

I'm a Charter Cable customer and recently upgraded to a TiVo Premiere (from a Series2). As part of the upgrade, I had a cablecard and tuning adapter installed. For the most part, everything works great. There have been a few hiccups here and there but nothing major.

When the tech was installing the card and tuning adapter, my digital box somehow stopped working. When I turn it on, I get a "Not Authorized, Contact Chater at xxx" message. I'm wondering if I can use both the TiVo Premeire and the Digital box on different TV inputs (TiVo = HDMI input, Digital box = TV input). I would love to regain the cable video-on-demand service, as I find the TiVo VOD service to be a pain.

To be clear, I don't want to record the Digital box on the TiVo. I just want to be able to watch a Charter VOD movie if the wife and I find some time.

I don't want to call the cable company to get the digital box working, only to find out it somehow disables the cablecard/tuning adapter. In theory, it seems like this wouldn't cause a problem since it would be akin to having a TV with a TiVo and a TV with the digital box in the same house. Just because that makes sense to me though, doesn't mean that everyone thinks that way.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

· Thread Killer
11,754 Posts
Of course you can have both the Premier and Charter's cable box hooked up to the same TV. I use to do this as well when I was a cable subscriber, but that was before Tivo implemented so many other options for VOD. As Stuxnet suggested, check out your other options and decide whether it's worth keeping Charter's cable box. If you are worried about PPV then don't be. While you cannot order it through the Tivo interface, you can call Charter and order the PPV event and then be able to tune to it on your Premiere.

· Registered
16,635 Posts
Sorry for the potentially dumb question, but since I finally got my TiVo Premiere stable, I don't want to "break" it again.

I'm a Charter Cable customer and recently upgraded to a TiVo Premiere (from a Series2). As part of the upgrade, I had a cablecard and tuning adapter installed. For the most part, everything works great. There have been a few hiccups here and there but nothing major.

When the tech was installing the card and tuning adapter, my digital box somehow stopped working. When I turn it on, I get a "Not Authorized, Contact Chater at xxx" message. I'm wondering if I can use both the TiVo Premeire and the Digital box on different TV inputs (TiVo = HDMI input, Digital box = TV input). I would love to regain the cable video-on-demand service, as I find the TiVo VOD service to be a pain.

To be clear, I don't want to record the Digital box on the TiVo. I just want to be able to watch a Charter VOD movie if the wife and I find some time.

I don't want to call the cable company to get the digital box working, only to find out it somehow disables the cablecard/tuning adapter. In theory, it seems like this wouldn't cause a problem since it would be akin to having a TV with a TiVo and a TV with the digital box in the same house. Just because that makes sense to me though, doesn't mean that everyone thinks that way.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Just off the top of my head it sounds as though the tech transferred the cable box's "authorization" to your TiVo's cable card.

· Thrice as nice
9,214 Posts
Yes you can do it. I've got that exact setup. Both work just fine together. It does sound like somehow your cable box got deactivated. You might be able to work that through a call to Charter as opposed to needing a new truck roll.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll give the VOD services through TiVo another try before calling Charter to reactivate the box. I tried it a couple of years ago with my Series 2 and was thoroughly unimpressed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.