TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could be something that would best be answered by Panasonic techies, but here goes:

Was watching BB game Saturday night and went to hit replay button, and accidentally hit power button. (Design flaw with TiVo peanut puts replay too close to power button). I intantly realized what I had done, and quickly hit the power button again. The TV would not come back on and the red power light on the lower left would blink 10 times, then pause...10 times, then pause, etc.

I disconnected power and waited 30-45 seconds (did this several times) to no avail. I thought I had just ruined my new TH-42PD50U. I called Panasonic (no help as they were closed on Saturday nite). So, I called BEST Buy warranty service. Still no help until today, as they, too were closed.

Bottom line, I once again disconnected power, then reinserted plug in another outlet on my UPS. Picture came back, and all is well.

Does anyone know what might have happened. Did my quick "off-on" with the power cause something to go wrong and time (30 minutes later) cured it? Any help would be appreciated. I have call in to Panasonic repair tech and just want to know what happened and if I can avoid it happening again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm just guessing, but I wonder whether your TV has an overheating problem. Is it enclosed? THe Panny instructions have specific clearances that you are supposed to keep. (That said, I have the same TV and it fits snuggly in a cabinet opening with no troubles yet - the back is open though.) The 30 minute wait could be explained by the time needed to cool down.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the answer from my neighbor who is a TV repairman. An instantaneous "power-off, power-on" is about the worst thing that you can do. The circuitry had to recycle and this was obviously a safety feature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.