TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Tivo always stay on? Or is there a way to turn it off and still have it record shows for you?

I say this because I do not see an on/off button on my control save for the "TV ON/OFF"

Can you tell I'm new?...LOL

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't mind leaving it on but damn...is the light ALWAYS going to be on? I just bought it and Im still treating it like my child..i just believe that leaving it on 24/7 will burn it out quicker.

·
Just hangin'
30,961 Posts
All standby does is turn off the A/V outputs and passes through the RF signal.
It will still record whatever you have scheduled, make sure the cable or sat box are left on if you use one.

·
Registered
396 Posts
spatel783 said:
I don't mind leaving it on but damn...is the light ALWAYS going to be on? I just bought it and Im still treating it like my child..i just believe that leaving it on 24/7 will burn it out quicker.
If you're talking about the "white nightlight" .......it can be turned off.

·
Thrice as nice
10,847 Posts
TiVo needs to stay "on" all the time so it can record all the things you told it to record when you're not home or the TV is off. Then you don't miss any shows :)

In fact, some people argue that keeping the hard drive spinning all the time is better for it anyways than the constant spinning up/slowing down that turning it on and off would(if you could turn it off - besides pulling the plug).

If you want to shut off the nightlight, go into the TiVo options and there are something like 4 different brightness settings, including 'Off'.

·
Hardcore TiVo Geek
3,302 Posts
spatel783 said:
There is a setting that allows you to turn off the front panel LEDs, so no, the lights don't have to be on.

And the unit will always be running unless you unplug it. It isn't something to worry about, it was designed that way. And with modern hard drives, the spinning up and down does more wear than running continuously.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.