TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, to make things clear, we have an older, series one Tivo that works PERFECTLY on our wireless network.

On Saturday morning, I turned on our television and saw that our Series 2 Tivo was frozen. I unplugged it, plugged it back in, and it proceeded to power up, and then reboot when it got to the 'almost there, just need a few minutes more' screen.

I assumed from reading here that it was probably the hard drive, which sucks since we bought it in late September. That said, I went out last night and bought a new Series 2, same model number (starts with 540). I plug in the phone cord and everything else and power it up and it works fine. I am able to enter in all of the needed info and watch tv through it. I unplug the phone line, no problem, and then plug in the wireless adapter, and as soon as I did, the screen froze, then reboot, and continued to reboot at the same point the other Tivo did.

Keep in mind, this is not a new adapter, we had used it for 4 months with no problems until Saturday. Only then did we get the reboot problems, and the problems are consistent between Tivos and ONLY when we plug in the adapter. The model of the adapter is the Netgear WG111, which (without checking now) I recall as being compatible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's amazing. I had a similar situation and have trolled the help forums for several weeks and it seems again and again people are having trouble with Netgear adapters. I'd suggest just making your life easy, get a Linksys WUSB11.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same problem.

Using the Netgear WG111 wireless card, my TIVO*s* work fine for months, then suddenly launch into the restart loop of death.

I'm on my FOURTH box in two years with the same exact problem. This one is only a month old. I'm on a brand new surge protector, so I figured no way is this the fourth hard drive to go bad.

Low and behold, unplug the Netgear WG111 and TIVO restarts no problem.

Furthermore, let the machine reboot, then try plugging in the netgear, and you go back to square one.

I guess I'm going to buy a new (non-Netgear) wireless adapter.

Up yours netgear! And TIVO tech support, take note of this one and save your loyal customers some time and profanity.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had that problem with a netgear one that showed as "supported" I've since ditched it and went with Tivo's own brand of wireless.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts