TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a series 2 dual tuner tivo (model #tcd649080) with a western digital 80 gig hard drive. I was adding a maxtor 300 gig drive with a weaknees install kit. but when I start the tivo it gets stuck at the powering up screen. any Ideas?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
dude44 said:
I have a series 2 dual tuner tivo (model #tcd649080) with a western digital 80 gig hard drive. I was adding a maxtor 300 gig drive with a weaknees install kit. but when I start the tivo it gets stuck at the powering up screen. any Ideas?
Both DVRupgrade and Weaknees have devices available that will delay the spinup of the second drive until after the primary drive is up to speed. This puts a smaller load on the power supply and should allow both drives to get up to speed. After the power up cycle the load is a lot less to keep them running. Good luck
http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/accessory_nomodel.cfm?SID=1&Product_ID=375
http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-parts-bin-2.php

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
dude44 said:
What have you done so-far?
Is the drive a drop-in upgrade, replacement or off the shelf unformatted retail drive?

If your TiVo will still boot with the original drive I suggest that you use MFSLive and make the expanded copy of the 80G drive to the new drive and keep the original drive as a backup. You can use the bracket and add the second drive later. This way
1 Have a working backup drive JIC
2 You can create the larger swap partition needed for recovery from the GSOD.
3 Single drive is easier to work with, consumes less power and generates less heat.
4 Keep your recordings and settings.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Please check all your flat cables including from the power supply to the motherboard and from the motherboard to the Front panel. make sure all are firmly in ( this was covered in a prior weaknees post)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.