TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My Tivo is a version 1, had since it was launched in the UK. Just recently its started misbehaving. Without warning, the handset will cease to function. The light on the Tivo blinks when you push a button, so it is definitely receiving the command, however nothing happens. For instance, you cannot pause TV, cannot call up any menu's etc.

It is not the handset batteries, of that I'm fairly sure. Because the light on the Tivo lighting up, means it is getting a signal - and - furthermore, this is an intermittent problem, so sometimes things work fine.

The only thing I can do that seems to work when this happens is as follows.

Use Tivo handset - to press Standby. This actually puts the Sony TV on standby and not the Tivo it seems. I then press any key 8 on my Sony handset - to fire up the TV again. (key 8 is my Tivo programmed channel). This in general now allows the Tivo handset to function again. Bizarre!

I really don't understand how putting the TV into standby mode cures the Tivo - but it seems to and I've had to do this several times now.

Any suggestions anyone? Is my Tivo finally dying on me? I sure hope not. Life without it would be unbearable.

Paul

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
It sounds like along time ago you've programmed the Tivo remote to put the TV in standby too. By default the Tivo remote standby button just disables the video output from the Tivo but you can program the Tivo remote to also send a TV power button press at the same time. If Tivo is going to standby the green light on the front goes out IIRC.

My guess is when this happens your TV is getting it's signal from somewhere else i.e. direct from a Sky, cable or freeview box or it's own internal tuner. When you put both TV and Tivo into standby and bring them back it reselects the correct TV channel for Tivo.

When it happens have you tried just pressing 8 on you TV remote to put it back on the Tivo input?

Have you changed the way anything is cabled or added a new box under your TV?

·
Regurgitated user
446 Posts
I'd replace the batteries anyway. Earlier remotes are notoriously finicky about battery strength - many people found they had loads of life left in them after they wouldn't work in the Tivo remote.

·
Ex TiVo User
4,184 Posts
I would also check for stray IR signals in the room from another remote, laptop, pda, video sender or mobile phone.

Tivo will ignore your IR commands from it's peanut control if it detects IR signals from another device.

Automan.

·
Banned
174 Posts
pt44 said:
Hi

My Tivo is a version 1, had since it was launched in the UK. Just recently its started misbehaving. Without warning, the handset will cease to function. The light on the Tivo blinks when you push a button, so it is definitely receiving the command, however nothing happens. For instance, you cannot pause TV, cannot call up any menu's etc.

It is not the handset batteries, of that I'm fairly sure. Because the light on the Tivo lighting up, means it is getting a signal - and - furthermore, this is an intermittent problem, so sometimes things work fine.

The only thing I can do that seems to work when this happens is as follows.

Use Tivo handset - to press Standby. This actually puts the Sony TV on standby and not the Tivo it seems. I then press any key 8 on my Sony handset - to fire up the TV again. (key 8 is my Tivo programmed channel). This in general now allows the Tivo handset to function again. Bizarre!

I really don't understand how putting the TV into standby mode cures the Tivo - but it seems to and I've had to do this several times now.

Any suggestions anyone? Is my Tivo finally dying on me? I sure hope not. Life without it would be unbearable.

Paul
It may be getting *some* signal from your remote but if the batteries are dying is it strong enough? Only cost a quid for batteries to find out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AMc said:
It sounds like along time ago you've programmed the Tivo remote to put the TV in standby too. By default the Tivo remote standby button just disables the video output from the Tivo but you can program the Tivo remote to also send a TV power button press at the same time. If Tivo is going to standby the green light on the front goes out IIRC.

My guess is when this happens your TV is getting it's signal from somewhere else i.e. direct from a Sky, cable or freeview box or it's own internal tuner. When you put both TV and Tivo into standby and bring them back it reselects the correct TV channel for Tivo.

When it happens have you tried just pressing 8 on you TV remote to put it back on the Tivo input?

Have you changed the way anything is cabled or added a new box under your TV?
I checked tonight. I set the Tivo - to recognise the commands from the Tivo Handset - to control a Sony TV - this is standard procedure. It does just that. Controls Mute, Volume control etc.

Pressing Standby on Tivo Handset - does NOT put Tivo on Standby - it puts Sony TV on Standby. If this is not normal - I don't know how to change it. Tivo green light stays on when TV is put on Standby using this method.

Batteries - its not this. I tried changing the batteries the other night - during this malfunction - it made no difference with brand new batteries.

Stray signals? Not sure how this could be. There is nothing in the room sending out signals. There is no Sky Box. The only box under the TV is a Sony Freeview box, which is not sending out any signals of its own. It is controlled - by the Tivo telling it to change channels etc. Nothing else in the room could be sending signals.

No cabling has changed under TV.

I'll try pressing 8 on TV handset - next time it happens. Just re-read that part.

Otherwise - still the same problem and seems to be getting worse. Seems like if I change to terestrial TV via sony handset, to watch another channel while Tivo records etc, when I change back to Tivo - the problem occurs.

Paul

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgot to say - thankyou to all those that responded with help

Further tests reveal the following

Tivo works

Turn channel to Ch1 - using Sony handset

Turn to Ch8 using Sony handset

Tivo - will not respond to Tivo Handset

Press VCR button once, Tivo light goes orange, press again, Tivo light goes green, Tivo comes alive again

This is reproducible.

I think the same will happen if I use the Standby method.

Conclusion. Something is happening to Tivo when I change channels using the Sony remote? Why is this. Its the same remote I've used for years. Nothing in my system has changed.

Any ideas anyone? as to what the hell is happening with my remotes and why Tivo will not respond - or goes into some kind of sleep!

Paul

·
tivoheaven.co.uk
5,577 Posts
Maybe the Sony remote is faulty and continues emitting some stray IR after you hit "8" on it...?

(NB. If you have a digital camera you can usually see IR from remotes via the LCD display.)

·
Registered
355 Posts
pt44 said:
Forgot to say - thankyou to all those that responded with help

Further tests reveal the following

Tivo works

Turn channel to Ch1 - using Sony handset

Turn to Ch8 using Sony handset

Tivo - will not respond to Tivo Handset

Press VCR button once, Tivo light goes orange, press again, Tivo light goes green, Tivo comes alive again

This is reproducible.

I think the same will happen if I use the Standby method.

Conclusion. Something is happening to Tivo when I change channels using the Sony remote? Why is this. Its the same remote I've used for years. Nothing in my system has changed.

Any ideas anyone? as to what the hell is happening with my remotes and why Tivo will not respond - or goes into some kind of sleep!

Paul
Hi Paul

I am assuming that your Tivo is connected by SCART to the TV.

What is actually displayed on TV when you press "8" after being on "1"

You say that it works OK if the TV is brought back from Standby and also if you put the Tivo into VCR Mode and back out.

Is your Sony TV one that allows you to assign a SCART input to a preset number?

Because you dont put Tivo to sleep, pin 8 of the SCART will always be active. A TV being brought out of standby will see the active SCART and switch to that but that sometimes takes a couple of seconds.

After being forced to a different channel by the remote the TV will only go back to the SCART if it is explicitly told to do so (which you are trying to do by pressing "8") or when it sees a change in Pin 8

By pressing VCR, the status of the VCRs SCART pin is presented to the TV which if you dont have a VCR or te VCR is not in PLAY mode will be non existant so the TV will see the SCART go free. When you go back to Tivo Pin 8 becomes active and grabs the TV again.

Try this test....

Get everything working so tht Tivo is being displayed and get Tivo on one of its menu screens so you know it is definately TIVO.

Then press "8" on the TV remote. What is displayed ?

If its something other that Tivo then the TV may have lost its AV mapping on preset 8.

what happens if you use the direct AV buttons or Ext button on the TV remote... can you get back to Tivo that way ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
katman said:
Hi Paul

I am assuming that your Tivo is connected by SCART to the TV.

Try this test....

Get everything working so tht Tivo is being displayed and get Tivo on one of its menu screens so you know it is definately TIVO.

Then press "8" on the TV remote. What is displayed ?

If its something other that Tivo then the TV may have lost its AV mapping on preset 8.
Katman - A Huge Thankyou

As usual - user error was involved and needed someone to wake me up to my own stupidity. The TV is set so that 8 chooses AV1 - the scart to which Tivo is attached. It has always been set like that. However, on checking, it appears that this is no longer the case. 8 is not selecting AV1 as it should. Instead it is selecting AV2 - direct to Freeview, hence we could not see the Tivo working.

All this stems from me switching the AV Cables around when the TV got moved a few weeks ago. I just never noticed the switch or the problem until now. So never put 2 and 2 together.

Why are all the hard things - so simple to cure and you never see them, even when they are staring you in the face.

Thankyou to all those that tried to help - much appreciated. Tivo is now back in all its glory, bless that lovely silver box.

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.