TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· I can't explain
19,382 Posts
Atomike said:
There has never been a local number in my area. I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to the fact that Tivo does not subsidize a certain percentage of its customers.
Fixed Your Post

PS - TiVo does not claim everyone will get a local number, just that they can use a phone line and call in vs using broadband

· I can't explain
19,382 Posts
Atomike said:
Actually, you changed the meaning. Ask one of your teachers to show you why they're different. It would be worth your time, and will help you when you are older.

It's too bad logic is not taught in schools anymore. I weep for the future.
In fixing your post I, of course, changed the meaning since it was the meaning of your post that was broken. Had I been fixing the grammar or spelling; then in that case the meaning should not change. Hope this little lesson in logic helped. :)

· I can't explain
19,382 Posts
grieny said:
Mr/Ms. ZeoTiVo:

I must correct you assertion that TiVo does not promise a local phone number will be available. Call TiVo Sales and they will tell you that the entire country has local phone coverage. I have called (four times).
TiVo uses 3rd party support for a lot of that and I do think that is a problem they could do more to correct. None of those people actually looked anything up, did they? Now once you get it in writing then you may have something.

Anyhow, I agree tha tthis is still a bad customer experience and companies are better off reducing such experiences. i am not defending TiVo just pointing out the details to round out the whole story

· I can't explain
19,382 Posts
wolflord11 said:
I do remember reading somewhere the Tivo does offer 800 service for those that do not have a local number. Has the OP tried that?
TiVo has also yanked back the 800 numbers and do not let many use them anymore.

aside from the cost of providing a number that is no cost to the subscriber but costs TiVo more than the sub(s) revenue there is the oppurtunity costs of the broadband services TiVo is getting into that do better with more broadband users.

I can see a case for TiVo providing some 800 service for cases where people are in a spot where no other choices are available, but for the bulk of people some internet service is probably available.
Then it is the hard business conversation of how many potential subscribers are in such areas and is the goodwill of providing a money losing (to TiVo) service to TiVo worth the total of lost revenue. Bottom line

· I can't explain
19,382 Posts
Atomike said:
A valid economic point. However this is an economic indicator of a company in it's final days.
that is just silly and taints all the rest of the post that follows from it

· I can't explain
19,382 Posts
atmuscarella said:
if the company is ever going to really become successful and this lack of local dial in numbers is just another example of going in the wrong direction.

Thanks,
umm - their business model is very much involved in increasing number of TiVo DVRs on broadband. Increased dial up service at increased cost would hurt their bottom line in many ways.

and digital OTA on an S2 is just NOT a market. the S3 lite is that. I would like to see some new DVD models and on that kind of model broadening I can see a difference being made. What other types of models do you think would help?

· I can't explain
19,382 Posts
Atomike said:
Have you had any economics classes? Likely too young. Ah well.
it would help if your arrogance did not lead you to bad assumptions.

I well understand your grow the market argument, but DVRs have not fared well under such a plan and TiVo in specific has had large grumblings from its stakeholders about such.

TiVo has offered massive rebates on their hardware and that has not led to fast growth, they have had a lot of phone access and that has not led to large growth. Your claim that suddenly if they reoffer extensive phone coverage again that it will magically lead to growth is a common econ 101 mistake. You have to look at how growth in the market as whole is doing first and align to your market.

TiVo has obviously adopted a grow the revenue/profit margin approach and are focused on average sub price and the SAC for such. They seem to be looking toward broadband features to generate growth.

· I can't explain
19,382 Posts
Atomike said:
Again, your youth is showing. You have badly misread. To spell it out: what I'm saying is that Tivo has already done irreparable damage to it's market share by cutting these phone lines.
I don't believe adding lines will add to Tivo's growth. I think the downward spiral has begun, and will continue.
so you say that cutting the lines has caused damage to market share, yet also claim that getting lines in these areas will not lead to growth. If I was in a business meeting and heard someone rolling these two statements around together I would think they were wasting the meeting's time and wonder how many others in the meeting thought the person a fool.

PS - I am in a lot of business meetings but as I noted above judge others in attendance by their input versus their credentials. Credentials just get you hired, which I already am.

· I can't explain
19,382 Posts
would you all stop being polite and mature about it. :p

anyhow, I have made an effort this year to not get dragged down with the impolite ones if I respond to them. Still I guess it is good that the topic of TiVo can bring out the passion in people, both good and bad.

· I can't explain
19,382 Posts
SNJpage1 said:
Do you have a cell phone that works in your house? There is now an adapter cradle that allows you to connect your regular phones to the cell phone for making calls.
cell phones might introduce some latency that make it difficult for the TiVo to complete its data modem call. SO try it if you already have it setup but I would make sure I could return everything before trying this just for the sake of TiVo connectivity

· I can't explain
19,382 Posts
grieny said:
True, a business doesn't want a customer that cost them money. But, what if a happy customer, cost you a small margin and you gain ten more customers from that individual. All of a sudden the economies of scale make them all profitable.

Too many hot shots in business read too many books and simply fail to do what is right. The old fashioned way of doing business still works. I see it everyday. Treat people fair and honest. They will come back for more business and send their friends.
but if you are making more customers in an area that does not have local access or a decent internet alternative then how is TiVo making money on that increase in customers costing them money? The Old David letterman joke of Volume, volume, Volume comes to mind. :)

I agree that TiVo could do a better job of treating you honestly by identifying customers who would be affected by a local line being discontinued and proactively contatcting you with any options, but lets be fair here; would you agree to pay more monthly for an 800 number or are you just expecting TiVo to subsidize you simply because of where you live or your choice of internet access?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.